Need permit for Nema 14-30?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Quinn

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I live in SoCal and have an unused circuit for an old Nema 10-30. I want to have Nema 14-30 installed in garage which would share wall with circuit breaker box. My plan is to have electrician disconnect old 10-30 and reroute line to garage for 14-30. One electrician (Tesla recommended) said permit wasn't needed because we were just moving existing line. Is he correct? I feel like all level 2 need permit even though I'm planning on using mobile connector. Any help appreciated

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in SoCal and have an unused circuit for an old Nema 10-30. I want to have Nema 14-30 installed in garage which would share wall with circuit breaker box. My plan is to have electrician disconnect old 10-30 and reroute line to garage for 14-30. One electrician (Tesla recommended) said permit wasn't needed because we were just moving existing line. Is he correct? I feel like all level 2 need permit even though I'm planning on using mobile connector. Any help appreciated
this is on SD County's site (which I believe Escondido would have trade permits thru the county)
When don't I need a permit?
...For plumbing, mechanical and electrical work, replacement or repair of fixtures (such as changing water faucets or replacing switches) does not normally require a permit. Replacing a water heater or adding a permanently wired light fixture does, however, require a permit.
To determine if your project needs a permit, call (619) 446-5000.
so since it would be permanently wired, I'd say yes, it is required. call and ask though. You don't have to provide your address or name, so really doesn't hurt.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so since it would be permanently wired, I'd say yes, it is required.
I disagree. Or at least, I don't come to the same conclusion. It's saying that "adding a (permanently wired) light fixture" requires a permit. But that's adding something. This is replacing and relocating an outlet.
call and ask though.
Yes, if you're worried about it, call. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the hassle. If your electrician doesn't think a permit is required, I'd just go with his expertise.