Need Help/Opinions - Should I change my order to include AWD?

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So...after wanting a Tesla since the moment the Roadster was released, I finally had the courage and money (well...more about the money than courage...hahaha), to place an order for a Model 3.

This is actually the FIRST new car I have ever bought. My entire life, I have always bought used cars...so this is a big change for me...getting a car with NO miles on it! Woohooo!

I did originally go back and forth between a used Model S (price point) in the beginning...but a NEW longer range Model 3 made more sense (prices were about the same).

I live in LA, work from home, and dive less frequently than the average person (only around 6000 miles a year).

I thought about the Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive...but with just added traction, it did not make sense to me at the time - the weather is fairly consistent in CA, compared to the east coast weather.

"looks-wise", I would have LOVED to have gotten the Performance Upgrade, but again, the $15000 extra price tag did not really seem justified, when in addition to the Dual Motor AWD, you are really only just getting $4000 20" rims, a carbon fiber spoiler, upgraded lighting, and some other minor bells and whistles.

Sooooooooo...I figured with all the aftermarket items available, I can get the "look" of the Performance model, at a mere fraction of the cost, and ended up ordering:

Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive
Silver Metallic Paint
19’’ Sport Wheels
Premium Interior
Premium Black
Enhanced Autopilot

Today, I was going back and forth between changing the order to include the additional $4000 AWD Motor...not really sure why...thought maybe down the road I would regret it (?)...but again...not sure if this is something that is necessarily worth it, based on my driving?

Anyone have some opinions on this?

TIA

Mike

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Living in LA, you will likely never need the AWD, unless you are going to Big Bear or Mammoth on the regular during the winter.

Save the $4k on the car and use it on some paint protection (like Xpel ultimate plus) to cover that beautiful front end from rock chips and such.

Vin

Country
Country
I can only speak from experience just having received my RWD Model 3 Monday the 2nd.

When you drive the RWD version you will forget there is even an AWD or Performance version!

I really thought maybe there was a mistake and they put in a faster motor accidentally. I've test driven a Model S P75D in ludicrous mode, and that's ridiculously fast, so much so that i didn't have the chance to enjoy it. It was like I teleported.
The Model 3 acceleration is perfect (you get instant lightning fast speed with no effort anytime, anywhere) and you feel the rollercoaster feeling every single time.

This car is so fast and quick and amazing, you will not regret any choice you make, but if you have only 4k extra to spend, in my honest opinion, you should put it towards paint protection instead of AWD if that is the choice.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
AWD seems like such a no-brainer, particularly after they lowered the price. $4k for better traction in adverse conditions, the ability to keep driving with a dead motor, *and* 1 second off your 0-60? Shut up and take my money! ;)

Tich

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm in kind of the same boat - live in LA, but I do drive a bit more and definitely appreciate AWD for increased performance and handling. I ordered my AWD on 6/27, but have been considering switching to RWD for quicker delivery, and obviously a bit of savings. Money is less of an issue in this decision, however if it means that I'd miss out on the full tax credit by waiting for AWD, I'd switch.

So, bottom line: I love driving, and appreciate performance; are the acceleration and handling advantages of AWD enough to justify the extra cost and delivery time over RWD? Or would it not really matter that much living in LA? Would especially appreciate if someone who has driven both of say a Model S 75 & 75D to chime in.

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in kind of the same boat - live in LA, but I do drive a bit more and definitely appreciate AWD for increased performance and handling. I ordered my AWD on 6/27, but have been considering switching to RWD for quicker delivery, and obviously a bit of savings. Money is less of an issue in this decision, however if it means that I'd miss out on the full tax credit by waiting for AWD, I'd switch.

So, bottom line: I love driving, and appreciate performance; are the acceleration and handling advantages of AWD enough to justify the extra cost and delivery time over RWD? Or would it not really matter that much living in LA? Would especially appreciate if someone who has driven both of say a Model S 75 & 75D to chime in.
Well...

I called Tesla, juuuuuuuuuuuust to be sure. Even though I only ordered 7 days ago, it looks like I was just assigned VIN #, so no changes can be made at this point anyway. Was not heartbroken over it at all...and will be VERY happy to receive the RWD only...and use the money toward some other upgrades and paint protections.

Mike

Rick Rollens

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Living in LA, you will likely never need the AWD, unless you are going to Big Bear or Mammoth on the regular during the winter.

Save the $4k on the car and use it on some paint protection (like Xpel ultimate plus) to cover that beautiful front end from rock chips and such.
I was in the same boat as you regarding the RWD vs.AWD. Living in California as well. I ordered the AWD based on what a number of folks here in California told me who had driven both the RWD and the AWD Model S and had a chance to experience both RWD and AWD. They all said the driving experience was very noticeably different, with all saying they enjoyed the AWD version for handling and sportiness better.

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well...I am upgrading from a 1999 Mercedes CLK430 AMG that has RWD. Though I have rented cars with AWD, I have never personally owned one. From what I read online the Tesla Model 3 RWD is the best you can get...and living in CA, the AWD would probably be a waste of $ for me...cool to have...but not for me, given the lack of daily driving I do.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well...

I called Tesla, juuuuuuuuuuuust to be sure. Even though I only ordered 7 days ago, it looks like I was just assigned VIN #, so no changes can be made at this point anyway. Was not heartbroken over it at all...and will be VERY happy to receive the RWD only...and use the money toward some other upgrades and paint protections.

Mike
I ordered before it was clear what was going to happen with the tax credit(still not clear) and when I would get AWD(A little more clear) and that the price would be lower. And its going to see some snow and ice here in lovely Minnesota. I think I'd order performance if I could get a redo but the RWD is pretty amazing. Its kind of hard to complain. Best acceleration and handling of any car I've driven. I don't see any bad options. RWD is great. AWD and Perf sound like good value for their price points and performance.

This way I can tell myself this is not a midlife crisis like Garsh because I didn't need the Performance but it still is. Or maybe it will be delayed for the Model Y.;)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the other plus of dual motor option, assuming it is somewhat similar to the S, is you will have one motor tuned for highway speeds and one for lower speeds making it a bit more efficient.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well...

Mike
I commend you for choosing the right color! :D

boriszima

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I also live in Los Angeles where it rains 10 days a year at most? Anyways, i also originally was fine with RWD and would have ordered if it opened up for me. My brother has P85D with ludicrous mode which i drove quiet a few times. That car feels like its on rails when going into corners and then on ramp it like a roller coaster. Since i was above to configure after release of AWD, i decided to spend extra on AWD because i drive a lot on freeway (hopefully one of the motors is "tuned" for it) plus its fun. I am also secretly hoping down the road this car will get some software updates that will make it faster and closer to Performance model. But yeah, otherwise AWD in SoCal is a waste just for pure driving reason A to B. Now that majority of people with RWD are getting their VINs and nothing for AWD, and 200K is in the limbo, who knows...

Teslar

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Since tesla is trying to upsell the performance model. I think they will make sure users who pay that extra 11k get a good margin or performance as compared to a AWD.
folks have clocked the RWD at 4.6 0-60, in that regards the AWD should be 4.0 0-60 ( 4 seconds) but I don't think that is going to happen.
Elon did mention that P3D could be quicker than 3.5 seconds in future so perhaps maybe they will move AWD and P3D quicker together.
but still they want most folks to spend that extra 11k for the same but handpicked and better components motor.