Need help figuring out why my model 3 was delivered with missing "crucial part"

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hi!

What ended up happening was,

I got a call today from the guy from Nevada at Tesla,stating that they received my car! Except that it was missing a "crucial part" and cannot be delivered to me on June 5th,therefore my options were to get a new VIN assigned to me and wait a few months or buy the model 3 with the missing crucial part and head over to the service center...has anybody ever experienced this before? What are your thoughts on this ?

According to the Tesla rep ,this is what he replied when asked about the part:

"When I asked them what crucial part was missing,they wouldn't want to tell me,they figured it was none of my business"

I think we can agree that a crucial part would be either the motor or the battery, but how would they end up shipping a car with out these parts ?Makes no sense!

Is it possible my car was given to someone else ?

Despite being told not to show up during my 9 am appointment,I'm definitely still going,anybody know someone at the international center in Toronto whom i can speak to and get more information?

Or any way I can force them to keep their delivery appointment?

thanks in advance!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If they gave you the option to purchase it and have part provided following, I don’t think there is any way it was ‘givens to someone else.
My guess is it was missing the UMC. And can not imagine anything that could be missing, but still allow them to deliver it, that would prevent me from taking delivery vs waiting an extra couple months

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
If they gave you the option to purchase it and have part provided following, I don’t think there is any way it was ‘givens to someone else.
My guess is it was missing the UMC. And can not imagine anything that could be missing, but still allow them to deliver it, that would prevent me from taking delivery vs waiting an extra couple months
Melinda ,you are absolutely correct,they’ve just confirmed it’s a defective MCU.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Melinda ,you are absolutely correct,they’ve just confirmed it’s a defective MCU.
A UMC is different from an MCU. :)
Universal Mobile Connector (the "charger" that comes with the car) and Media Control Unit (the computer that runs the car's display).

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I was told when I bought my X that I had a defective MCU. I bought the car anyway since I needed it to go on a road trip - How's THAT for ironic! I needed the larger EV to go on a road trip when most of the public thinks you can't go on roadtrips with EVs but I digress....

After my roadtrip, I went to the SC and they did another diagnostic and said everything was fine. Haven't had any unusual MCU issues in the past year.

You should STRONGLY consider buying the current car assigned to you so that you can get the tax credit. Whatever the problem may be, Tesla will make sure it gets fixed but if you delay for another car, you will likely miss out on a lot of money.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
"Defective" is different than "Missing". I can see an MCU failing during the delivery process - infant mortality or poor workmanship, for example - but I can't see one being "missing". It should only take a week or two to get a new one shipped from the factory.

I can see a UMC being missing, but it's unlikely that they found it to be defective - I doubt that they check UMCs during their delivery process. Either way, they'll either have one in stock or they should be able to get one within a couple of days.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi!

What ended up happening was,

I got a call today from the guy from Nevada at Tesla,stating that they received my car! Except that it was missing a "crucial part" and cannot be delivered to me on June 5th,therefore my options were to get a new VIN assigned to me and wait a few months or buy the model 3 with the missing crucial part and head over to the service center...has anybody ever experienced this before? What are your thoughts on this ?

According to the Tesla rep ,this is what he replied when asked about the part:

"When I asked them what crucial part was missing,they wouldn't want to tell me,they figured it was none of my business"

I think we can agree that a crucial part would be either the motor or the battery, but how would they end up shipping a car with out these parts ?Makes no sense!

Is it possible my car was given to someone else ?

Despite being told not to show up during my 9 am appointment,I'm definitely still going,anybody know someone at the international center in Toronto whom i can speak to and get more information?

Or any way I can force them to keep their delivery appointment?

thanks in advance!
Why would you have to wait a few months to get a new VIN/Delivery? They should be able to just reassign another like they do in the US. That was posted many times in the early days of deliver.

Can you confirm it was a UMC o MCU? The thread seems to jump to that conclusion without your input

Country
Country
You should STRONGLY consider buying the current car assigned to you so that you can get the tax credit. Whatever the problem may be, Tesla will make sure it gets fixed but if you delay for another car, you will likely miss out on a lot of money.
Very unlikely that the full tax credit would end before another car would be delivered.

Even if they hit 200k this month (June) there are still 3 more months of the full tax credit available, so basically that gives them 4 months to deliver another car.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very unlikely that the full tax credit would end before another car would be delivered.

Even if they hit 200k this month (June) there are still 3 more months of the full tax credit available, so basically that gives them 4 months to deliver another car.
Wrong tax credit.

Zangurak is Canadian. They're talking about the Ontario EV Incentive, which most feel is going to end soon after the newly elected officials take office.