need dumb Cruise Control...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think part of the danger here is that they would have to make it very clear whether or not the car was in TACC or CC. If someone accidentally puts their car into CC and expected to be in TACC, this could be dangerous. To make it very easy, if you have AP/EAP you are always in TACC and if you don't then you are always in CC.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think part of the danger here is that they would have to make it very clear whether or not the car was in TACC or CC. If someone accidentally puts their car into CC and expected to be in TACC, this could be dangerous. To make it very easy, if you have AP/EAP you are always in TACC and if you don't then you are always in CC.
I agree it would be dangerous if not executed properly, but it seems like that can be avoided by always defaulting to TACC and having an option on the screen to manually change it to standard CC each time you activate cruise without autosteer. The display could then mimic cars without any sort of autopilot, like mine, where there is no blue outline on anything when cruise is active.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sunglare also disables the TACC. Not quite sure why anyone would argue against adding a feature through software that some people would find helpful. For my wife, who's MS is robbing her of the use of her legs, regular cruise control would be extremely welcome in the instances where TACC cruise control is failing her.
I didn't intend to argue against your desire for CC. I was simply expressing my lack of desire for it. I'm not sure if it's as simple on Tesla's end as you imply, but communicate your desires to Tesla, and good luck!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Consider me shocked and have to apologize -- I have literally never experienced Autopilot/Autosteer failing/disengaging. Shocked to see so many of you with different experiences.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Consider me shocked and have to apologize -- I have literally never experienced Autopilot/Autosteer failing/disengaging. Shocked to see so many of you with different experiences.
I would be shocked if you did since I never had snow build up on any bumper when I lived in Florida.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you live in icy conditions, keep a big spray bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol in your car, and spray your cameras and front bumper with it before and occasionally during your trip.

Cheap DIY de-icing like the airlines do it.

Darrenf

Maybe your wife’s car needs to be checked with service. ive not had issues with driving into the sun at various time of year/day impacting tacc
Maybe she experiences it at a different angle than you. Is it so hard to fathom that other people have different experiences from your own?

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do a lot of long distance driving on mostly empty roads. Have had the sun effect disable my TACC and of course the build up of slush. I was just mentioning to a friend of mine who I joined me on a long road trip (first time in a Tesla for him) about this minor pet peeve. I was giving him all the pros and cons and we were driving in a torrential rain storm. So TACC kicks out and that's when I said, "...and another thing that bugs me...."

Tres_Azul

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
+1 for desiring regular 'dumb' cruise control. Perfectly fine with a CC that would drive 80mph into a brick wall without flinching. Despise the fact that this car sometimes argues with my chosen velocity and / or applies braking and changes the cruising speed without my consent.

In previous cars I used CC all the time. Seriously, I used it nearly every day at low speed on surface streets and at high speeds on freeways / highways.
(IF the car had it, as I almost always drove manual trans, and some cars just don't offer CC)

Steve Martin

Country
Country
For me the desire for basic cruise control is mostly for other people driving my car. I had a good friend with me and he was disturbed with phantom braking when he was driving, so he never wanted to engage autopilot or TACC again after experiencing phantom braking a couple of times.

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I strongly agree with @iChris93.

I like the idea of having the option of dumb CC. There are times I wish I had it.

But .. too many driving configurations leads to confusion. Heck, I’ve noticed it as I lose track of whether I have auto steer on or not. It’s an issue as I change lanes and sometimes decide not to turn it back on. Never confused for long and I’ve always been good. But ... adding the extra bit of keeping track of whether on TACC or dumb CC ... I think ... could be dangerous.

I would not be concerned if it was either or. ... can’t have both TACC and dumb CC.

Jason Krellner

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I strongly agree with @iChris93.

I like the idea of having the option of dumb CC. There are times I wish I had it.

But .. too many driving configurations leads to confusion. Heck, I’ve noticed it as I lose track of whether I have auto steer on or not. It’s an issue as I change lanes and sometimes decide not to turn it back on. Never confused for long and I’ve always been good. But ... adding the extra bit of keeping track of whether on TACC or dumb CC ... I think ... could be dangerous.

I would not be concerned if it was either or. ... can’t have both TACC and dumb CC.
I think what some of us would like to see is the option to have dumb CC when not in autosteer. Then, you always know whether you are using TACC (+ autosteer) and when you're not.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One case Tesla didn't plan for:
Clean car in the garage for 2 days, dehumidifier running but err car doors and windows closed.
-15C outside... so I guess you see it coming, no TACC for a while on that trip. Arriving at work (25 min drive), here is what my fwd cameras look like
20200117_055059-jpg.32108

So, if the system doesn't detect snow, the heater doesn't come ON...

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Over the weekend I was on another 1400km total road trip. Sometimes, for these repeat road trips, I'll rent a car. I just so happened to pick up a fully loaded Ford Fusion Hybrid (not plug-in). Decent car, comfortable, a lot of solid tech, but gutless. Sad that in order to get excellent fuel mileage, any sense of performance must be sacrificed.

Anyway, to the point of my story. The Fusion had Adaptive Cruise. It worked well, but the Tesla handles the slow down and braking in a more gentle fashion. On my return trip, I hit some bad weather, a lot of wet snow. Low and behold, I get the message that TACC has been disabled due to sensors being blocked. However, I was able to go into the options and turn off adaptive and set it to traditional cruise control. I lost TACC the rest of the way back (about 4 hours of driving), even when the weather improved so I was thankful that I was able to still use the "dumb" cruise control.

Bottom line, it would be nice if we could have dumb cruise control and would agree with others that it could not be tied with Autosteer to ensure you don't get confused and end up hurling into the back of a slower car. :)

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My problem are the errors in Google map speeds. If I go South West on my residential street, it tries to set the speed to 40 mph. But going North East, it lets me set the speed. There are other reproducible speed anomalies that lead in one case to repeatable, phantom braking.

There are times I want my manually set speed to take precedence without having to jump on the speed trim wheel to counter a Google map speed error. Alternatively, if I manually override the Google Map speed 3-4 times, learn it and remember in the future.

Bob Wilson

Jason Krellner

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My problem are the errors in Google map speeds. If I go South West on my residential street, it tries to set the speed to 40 mph. But going North East, it lets me set the speed. There are other reproducible speed anomalies that lead in one case to repeatable, phantom braking.

There are times I want my manually set speed to take precedence without having to jump on the speed trim wheel to counter a Google map speed error. Alternatively, if I manually override the Google Map speed 3-4 times, learn it and remember in the future.

Bob Wilson
I've only ever experienced the car setting a lower speed on me when I'm entering EAP. I've NEVER had it not enter TACC at the speed I want, except where it wants to go faster because I have it set to 10 MPH over speed limit as a default, and if the maps data is off, it might want to go faster than I am comfortable going.

Are you referring to EAP? Or just plain old TACC?