need dumb Cruise Control...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
adaptive cruise control is cute when it works... but I've encountered a number of situations where CC just gives up (poor visibility, dirt/rain/snow on cameras, etc) and then NO cruise control is available. That's very annoying if you have to make a long drive, say, in the rain. There should be a dumb setting that just does what a normal CC does and not try to 2nd guess the driver or give up.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my experience autopilot works through near torrential downpour rain. It’s just Navigate on Autopilot that stops working.

Are you saying it handles those types of conditions poorly for you or doesn’t even engage at all?

Side note, I am a firm believer that dumb cruise control is inherently unsafe. If the conditions are that bad, I am inclined to say it’s better that you’re in full control rather than partial control.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I have had TACC check out on me, but not for long periods. I’ve had it stop in slush, rain, or a few times when I have been unable to figure out any problem. But I have never had a prolonged outage of it. Can usually retry it within a few minutes and it is back ok. I agree that it would be really bad to have a long drive without it. But having experienced the adaptive life, I would be downright dangerous with dumb cruise control. I feel strongly enough about this last statement that I purged our household of all cars without adaptive cruise control.

sduck

Country
Country
The only time I've had TACC conk out on me was in a heavy snowstorm, combined with dense fog - conditions that it was almost impossible to drive in with or without it. I believe the software/sensors have gotten pickier about how much obstruction they're willing to tolerate in the way of dirt, snow and/or ice, which is probably a good thing. SO make sure your cameras are clean and clear!

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've had adaptive cruise fail on & off while in heavy rain. I finally got frustrated and quit turning it on.

I'd like it to simply fail over to dumb cruise with a warning message for me to be more alert.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We have "dumb cruise control" on two cars, slightly better "adaptive cruise control" on one car, and Autopilot in our Tesla.
The Tesla is the only car we use any sort of speed control for. Too much traffic in California to ever use dumb cruise control, and using the "adaptive cruise control" in our Toyota is too scary/dangerous.
So no desire here.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We have "dumb cruise control" on two cars, slightly better "adaptive cruise control" on one car, and Autopilot in our Tesla.
The Tesla is the only car we use any sort of speed control for. Too much traffic in California to ever use dumb cruise control, and using the "adaptive cruise control" in our Toyota is too scary/dangerous.
So no desire here.
likewise here. I use TACC (or full NoA) for nearly all of my miles. Prior cars I didnt even use CC on long trips because it was too much of a pain to always have to manually adjust the speed.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've had adaptive cruise fail on & off while in heavy rain. I finally got frustrated and quit turning it on.

I'd like it to simply fail over to dumb cruise with a warning message for me to be more alert.
Exactly... adaptive is great when it works, but when it wants to give up, we (I at least want) the option to using a standard dumb cruise control.

No, autosteer was not enabled. Yes it was during heavy rain and also snow. It complained of compromised radar.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wide open highway, no traffic, no bridges, sleeping passenger.. Phantom Braking (several times)!

Definitely need the option to just maintain a set speed (with accel/decel and resume). Otherwise, when the smart stuff gets glitchy, the roll back is extreme and the driving stress increases.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm with @MelindaV on this one. I Never used CC on my previous vehicles, just too clunky and cumbersome. But TACC w/lane keep is One of my top 3 features of this car. On the very rare occasion that weather makes it inoperable, I simply don't have cruise for a few miles, and I drive the car manually(Oh, the pain).

Darrenf

I'm with @MelindaV on this one. I Never used CC on my previous vehicles, just too clunky and cumbersome. But TACC w/lane keep is One of my top 3 features of this car. On the very rare occasion that weather makes it inoperable, I simply don't have cruise for a few miles, and I drive the car manually(Oh, the pain).
Here's the point. It doesn't matter that you have no use for it, other people would find it very helpful, and the car is capable of it with nothing more than some additional code.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here's the point. It doesn't matter that you have no use for it, other people would find it very helpful, and the car is capable of it with nothing more than some additional code.
my point was tacc just works. I’ve had lane keeping unavailable because of various things, but tacc has always been there for me. If the issue is snow buildup on the sensors, maybe it is best the driver manually takes over anyway, and even old school cc Wouldn’t be appropriate anyway.

Darrenf

my point was tacc just works. I’ve had lane keeping unavailable because of various things, but tacc has always been there for me. If the issue is snow buildup on the sensors, maybe it is best the driver manually takes over anyway, and even old school cc Wouldn’t be appropriate anyway.
Sunglare also disables the TACC. Not quite sure why anyone would argue against adding a feature through software that some people would find helpful. For my wife, who's MS is robbing her of the use of her legs, regular cruise control would be extremely welcome in the instances where TACC cruise control is failing her.

zosoisnotaword

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I passed on adding AP/FSD when they offered them for $5k total simply because standard cruise control was not available. It would be a different story if I lived in a large city with torrential traffic, but for those that mostly drive on relatively uncrowded highways, standard cruise control is the way to go for people who prefer to drive their car manually. I don't need it to start slowing down in anticipation of great-grandma 100 yards ahead in the right lane. I want to maintain my speed and manually change lanes to pass. Phantom breaking was also a big deal at the time, which I experienced during my brief autopilot trial. If autosteer is not active, standard cruise needs to be available as an option.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Amen to a dumb cruise control option with TACC. As others have mentioned, it would be useful for any condition that disables TACC, and in my case, avoiding the annoyance of phantom braking, which is STILL happening at unknown, unforeseeable, and terrifying times. Dumb CC as an option could rectify all.