Need Advice on Extended Vacation and SOC

Phillyasian

Country
Country
I will be going away next week on an extended vacation. My Model 3 WILL NOT be used for 30 days. I plan to leave it
at my parent's house OUTSIDE in the driveway. They live less than a mile from a Supercharger. What SOC should I leave it at?
I COULD ask to park it inside my parent's garage and have it connected to a standard 120V outlet, BUT both of my parent's cars are expensive cars which they OBVIOUSLY would PREFER to keep inside the garage. Additionally, my Dad is kinda crazy with energy conservation(EVERY SINGLE TV is on a power strip including the cable box and is immediately powered off when the TV is off) so I don't know how he would feel about the car being plugged in for 30 days. So BEFORE I ask my parents if I can garage the car, what's everyone's advise/opinion on what I should do if I leave it outside and if that's even advisable for this length of time.

Background. M3 Long range, 3.5 months old. 2,500 miles. Parked outside in Center City Philly with no access to power. Supercharging ONLY about 1x/week to 90%SOC. Currently Phantom drain is about 3-4 miles/day.
Thanks!

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla suggests to keep it plugged in when it will sit. Are you able to run an extension cord out to where it would be parked? or maybe have it plugged into an extension cord, and ask your parents to plug it in for a couple hours once a week to bring the charge back up to the 80% (-ish) charge?

Phillyasian

Country
Country
What am I missing? Is this not a new thread?
I edited my op. This was a cut & paste from THE OTHER Tesla forum.

Some additional information. My parents are traveling with us, so no one will be home;however, I can have other family members checkup periodically on the car.
My initial thought is to charge to 90% SOC as usual and leave it be outside, even if I lose 120 miles to phantom drain the Supercharger is less then a mile so there shouldn't be an issue. Having never owned an EV before and never leaving this car undriven for so long is causing a little bit of concern.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I edited my op. This was a cut & paste from THE OTHER Tesla forum.

Some additional information. My parents are traveling with us, so no one will be home;however, I can have other family members checkup periodically on the car.
My initial thought is to charge to 90% SOC as usual and leave it be outside, even if I lose 120 miles to phantom drain the Supercharger is less then a mile so there shouldn't be an issue. Having never owned an EV before and never leaving this car undriven for so long is causing a little bit of concern.
some also have powered down the car when they know it will be left for some time. maybe others can speak to it and vampire drain vs leaving it in standby for multiple weeks

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
110 would be prefect and more than enough to just keep it topped off. There was a post just yesterday I think of a car being shipped to Korea I believe. It was down for a very extended period of time and the battery did not drain. You'd likely be OK for 30 days, but since it is recommended it be plugged in, if it were mine I would definitely prefer it be plugged in to 110 at least. Buy them a nice steak dinner or send your mom flowers, or just offer to pay their electrical bill for the month. Much cheaper than any other parking option you'd find for 30 days.

EDIT - Found the post, the car was in transit for 47 days. Vampire drain stats during shipping. And I'm not saying this is good, just saying the battery didn't completely drain even after 47 days.

Last edited:

Phillyasian

Country
Country
some also have powered down the car when they know it will be left for some time. maybe others can speak to it and vampire drain vs leaving it in standby for multiple weeks
What do you mean by that? I don't see any reference to powering down the car besides under the safety & security tab. Is that what you are referring to?

Phillyasian

Country
Country
110 would be prefect and more than enough to just keep it topped off. There was a post just yesterday I think of a car being shipped to Korea I believe. It was down for a very extended period of time and the battery did not drain. You'd likely be OK for 30 days, but since it is recommended it be plugged in, if it were mine I would definitely prefer it be plugged in to 110 at least. Buy them a nice steak dinner or send your mom flowers, or just offer to pay their electrical bill for the month. Much cheaper than any other parking option you'd find for 30 days.
Sometimes you can get focused on one solution that you forget about the alternatives. Someone on the other forum asked if I know of anyone else whom I can ask to use their garage Then it dawned on me - why don't I just ask my sister? Which is what I will do in the morning! While I could have snaked an extension cord or even just an outside plug to the driveway again it's the 30 day AND Being outside exposed to the elements factor that worries me about going that route. But I totally forgot about another family member whom would have no problems with it being in the garage plugged in 24/7.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
You could just leave it at 80% and it should be OK. But here's what I would do:

Park it with 80%. Set the charge limit to 20% (just in case) and plug it into 120V with the Mobile Connector and an extension cord. Tesla says "a plugged-in Tesla is a happy Tesla". Even if it doesn't charge, the 120V should keep the car from drawing the battery down for various ancillary functions over the following four weeks.

And have a great trip!

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes you can get focused on one solution that you forget about the alternatives. Someone on the other forum asked if I know of anyone else whom I can ask to use their garage Then it dawned on me - why don't I just ask my sister? Which is what I will do in the morning! While I could have snaked an extension cord or even just an outside plug to the driveway again it's the 30 day AND Being outside exposed to the elements factor that worries me about going that route. But I totally forgot about another family member whom would have no problems with it being in the garage plugged in 24/7.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
fwiw: the unit being exposed to the elements is a non issue. my experience is in CO during the winter when I used the 110 cord to keep the car warm, the charge unit was outside for two week sitting under the car on the snow pack.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went on a 3 weeks vacation this summer. Left my model 3 unplugged, with about 80% SOC. Came back 3 weeks after and the battery was at around 25% SOC.
So in 3 weeks, you lose around 40 kW of power. Not sure why such big parasitic loss, but I guess it has to be if they made it like that :).

Phillyasian

Country
Country
Follow up :
So I'm away on vacation and it turns out my parents were fine with us leaving the 3 inside their garage plugged into a standard outlet. We left it with 204 miles range and set it at about 60% capacity. (My mom's car which was moved to accommodate ours is in my sisters garage)
What's really cool was we received a notification for software update and had my sister go into my parent's garage to accept the software update with me remotely unlocking the car door!
Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I'm only sorry that we won't be able to test out V9 software until the end of the month

Mohammad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi All,
This December I'm travelling abroad.
I was thinking of leaving my car parked at a friend's house. I was wondering if that's safe to do so? I'll be gone for 2 weeks. It's going to be cold here in Canada. I know that a warm battery is a happy battery.
Is it alright for me to leave the car out in the cold for two weeks? Is there a way I can "power off" the car? Any tips to guarantee my batteries don't get damaged and to ensure when I come back I have enough juice to drive the car back home?
I'm not too familiar with how EV cars hibernate.
Much appreciated.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi All,
This December I'm travelling abroad.
I was thinking of leaving my car parked at a friend's house. I was wondering if that's safe to do so? I'll be gone for 2 weeks. It's going to be cold here in Canada. I know that a warm battery is a happy battery.
Is it alright for me to leave the car out in the cold for two weeks? Is there a way I can "power off" the car? Any tips to guarantee my batteries don't get damaged and to ensure when I come back I have enough juice to drive the car back home?
I'm not too familiar with how EV cars hibernate.
Much appreciated.
Are you able to plug the car in at your friend's house? Even into a standard 120V outlet? If so, set your charge limit anywhere between 50% and 80%, plug in, you should be okay. Your car will fall asleep on its own, and should draw enough power to keep the battery sufficiently charged and warm while you're away.

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Best to leave it plugged in for that long a period. Even if on a slow charger just so it can top off the losses.