Need a new car and my reservation is Aug-Oct currently...

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

bbelding

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Long time listener...first time caller...

TL;DR - Got in an accident; totaled my car. I’m curious if anyone has recently bought an S or X and then gotten pushed to the front of the Model 3 line.

Full Story:
I’m (most likely) in the market for a car immediately. I had an accident on one of Atlanta’s fine interstate highways (hey kids - don’t text and drive in front of me and then admit it to the state patrol officer). It’s looking like my current ICE car may be totaled.

If that’s the case, I need a car now. I’m a current Model 3 reservation holder with an “Aug-Oct 2018” date range, and that’s a bit too far out for me to wait.

What I need to know, essentially, is what will happen to my “Aug-Oct 2018” range if I buy a used Model S (most likely third party / private sale). Will I turn into a Tesla owner and get my configuration email shortly thereafter, or will this approach not materially change my timeline? I don’t mind buying and trading in a Model S, primarily because trade in value reduces my state car tax payment.

The other option is to buy a cheap ICE car and wait out my existing Model 3 reservation window (which I don’t really want to do at this point).

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Long time listener...first time caller...

TL;DR - Got in an accident; totaled my car. I’m curious if anyone has recently bought an S or X and then gotten pushed to the front of the Model 3 line.

Full Story:
I’m (most likely) in the market for a car immediately. I had an accident on one of Atlanta’s fine interstate highways (hey kids - don’t text and drive in front of me and then admit it to the state patrol officer). It’s looking like my current ICE car may be totaled.

If that’s the case, I need a car now. I’m a current Model 3 reservation holder with an “Aug-Oct 2018” date range, and that’s a bit too far out for me to wait.

What I need to know, essentially, is what will happen to my “Aug-Oct 2018” range if I buy a used Model S (most likely third party / private sale). Will I turn into a Tesla owner and get my configuration email shortly thereafter, or will this approach not materially change my timeline? I don’t mind buying and trading in a Model S, primarily because trade in value reduces my state car tax payment.

The other option is to buy a cheap ICE car and wait out my existing Model 3 reservation window (which I don’t really want to do at this point).
Yep other new owners have gotten bumped up after buying an S/X.

Personal anecdote: A friend who was an April 1, 2016 reservation holder had an original first production estimate of May-July. They bought and took delivery of a Model S on Feb. 20, and on Feb. 25 got an email that their Model 3 reservation was ready to configure.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear about your accident. A used Model S should definitely do the trick on accelerating your Model 3 invitation to configure. That means you should plan to still be about 2 months away with a 6-8 week lead time on Model 3 deliveries. Odds are if you get the Model S for the right price, that a few short months and you probably sell it for the same or close to what you paid.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another option I wanted to chime in with though it isn't mentioned in your post. I've read that some people look for someone on a lease that they're wanting out of that is ending about the time you're going to get your car. I think they then take it over (?) <--I've never leased, don't know how they work or when a transfer is/isn't allowed.
I do know I've seen posts on TMC regarding lease take overs or buyouts and such. Just a thought.
Welcome to the forum!

bbelding

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's the plan (and the hope on the price). I'm assuming June-ish for delivery. Because of the weird Georgia car tax rules, I have to trade in the S to avoid paying thousands in taxes twice. If you use your current car as a trade-in, they deduct the value of that trade from the total price and tax you on the net.

Sorry to hear about your accident. A used Model S should definitely do the trick on accelerating your Model 3 invitation to configure. That means you should plan to still be about 2 months away with a 6-8 week lead time on Model 3 deliveries. Odds are if you get the Model S for the right price, that a few short months and you probably sell it for the same or close to what you paid.