Neck pain/position

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Starting in September 2009, car manufacturers started complying with a new federal law that required head restraints to be no more than 2.2″ from the back of a passenger’s head. Unfortunately, it seems that the passengers they used to determine this correct distance have horrible posture, and tend to slouch forward in their seats.

I actually bent the headrests in my previous two vehicles to put them in a more upright position. But that's not going to be possible with the Model 3's integrated headrest. I think I'm going to have to add some kind of padding to the rest of the seatback to basically push the rest of my body forward.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Starting in September 2009, car manufacturers started complying with a new federal law that required head restraints to be no more than 2.2″ from the back of a passenger’s head. Unfortunately, it seems that the passengers they used to determine this correct distance have horrible posture, and tend to slouch forward in their seats.

I actually bent the headrests in my previous two vehicles to put them in a more upright position. But that's not going to be possible with the Model 3's integrated headrest. I think I'm going to have to add some kind of padding to the rest of the seatback to basically push the rest of my body forward.
My 2011 Nissan Altima was perfect.

There is a large gap between my neck and the seat due to this weird angle. I wonder if I need a pillow

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What does everyone think of the head rest position?
I find that mine feels like it is too far forward and causes my neck to strain a little in the car.

Is it just me?
Me too!
If the seat back is at an incline, it is not too bad, but if I bring it up to a straighter position, it causes neck stress. I've seen worse in other cars though. I ride high in the seat and it is especially bad because the headrest bends forward and the back of my head hits it at the furthest forward position. Many drivers ride a lot lower and the top is above the top of their head, making it less of a problem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What does everyone think of the head rest position?
I find that mine feels like it is too far forward and causes my neck to strain a little in the car.

Is it just me?
I noticed the same thing as soon as I picked up my 3 and my neck was really hurting after about 20 miles of driving. Fortunately, after quite a bit of trying different positions of the seat and seat back I think I’ve resolved it.
My only real issue I still have is that the stiffness of the suspension causes my head to bounce off the headrest quite often.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed the same thing as soon as I picked up my 3 and my neck was really hurting after about 20 miles of driving. Fortunately, after quite a bit of trying different positions of the seat and seat back I think I’ve resolved it.
My only real issue I still have is that the stiffness of the suspension causes my head to bounce off the headrest quite often.
Can you share a picture of your seat configuration? Would be awesome if you're sitting in it. I actually went to my local Tesla store to talk to them about it--they didn't have much to say to help.
I also have the issue about the stiff suspension and my head bouncing.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you share a picture of your seat configuration? Would be awesome if you're sitting in it. I actually went to my local Tesla store to talk to them about it--they didn't have much to say to help.
I also have the issue about the stiff suspension and my head bouncing.
The car is away for a couple days for tint and PPF, but when it returns I'll get some pictures. I'm 5'7", so I wonder if a taller (or shorter) person might "line up" with the seat / headrest differently and not see the issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Im 5'10. I recline the seat back pretty far and find the head rest actually too far from my head compared to my previous Honda Accord that was just about perfect. I'm thinking of adding a neck pillow if I can find something black and that attaches to the headrest.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've found its better to put the back of the seat all the way up, front of the seat all down. This helps with my neck pain.

But the lumbar part of the seat is now pushing out (even on its lowest setting), and I don't have any thigh support. It just feels weird.

Back to the drawing board.

Elise

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve had no issue. The seat back is fairly erect & no problems. Very comfortable. The seat belt however cuts into my neck no matter how I adjust it. Back to CdnTire for the clip!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the same problem. What was your solution?
I still have the call pending with my service department--they should be calling me back any time now.

As weird as it sounds, I went on vacation for a week, when I came back, it wasn't as big an issue any more. I think I found myself looking more straight than I had been before. With the lack of dash, and low windshield, I think I felt obligated to looks slightly down. Now, I am looking up a little more, and not using the head rest as much. Will keep you updated.