Navigation route - how to correct/report ?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
before you ask: yes I have used the bug report dozens of time to report that the turn presented at navigation route is wrong.

I thought I read there is a place to update and edit the roads and ensure the turn they believe exists will be marked as "doesn't exists". Anyone knows which routing system they are using and which map should be edited? Google direction doesn't show this error so I dont think its with Google....

1576295748636-png.31135

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought I read there is a place to update and edit the roads and ensure the turn they believe exists will be marked as "doesn't exists". Anyone knows which routing system they are using and which map should be edited? Google direction doesn't show this error so I dont think its with Google..
there has been various maps systems speculated to be what is behind Tesla's maps/navigation, but don't know that there has been anything definitive.

Some suggested GoogleMaps, TomTom, or OpenStreetMap.org (already shows as you can't turn left onto that cloverleaf)

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a similar question. There is a hotel along the route between work and home that has its own private road. If the main road is busy enough, the navigation tries to route me through the private road.

That’s only mildly obnoxious until that hotel has a golf event or convention. Then, the police wait by the entrance to the private hotel road and hand out tickets to anyone who isn’t a hotel guest (I was lucky when I discovered that, I was let off for being a resident of the area). So it could end up being a $100 navigation error.

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've done the following with my neighborhood and the updates did show on the satellite view in the car. However, these updates have not yet affected navigation.
  1. Go to https://www.google.com/maps
  2. Click on the 3 bar menu
  3. Scroll down and click on Send Feedback
  4. Click on either Missing Road or Suggest an Edit
  5. Perform changes
  6. Submit, then wait
My changes showed up in satellite view in just a few days. However, the in-car navigation does not honor it.

I have made the same changes in Waze Map Editor and that has not yet made a difference either.

I have considered making the same changes in OpenStreetMap but haven't gotten around to it. Either way, be aware that navigation changes are only downloaded to the car a few times a year. They also don't necessarily come at the same time as other software updates.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There’s an intersection at a curve in the road where I live. Directions ignore the slight right that is required onto the different road at the intersection. I’ve already had to submit feedback to Apple Maps to fix it (eventually they did).

Tesla Navigation still has the missing step in the directions. I’ve checked out OpenStreetMaps but I could find nothing wrong with the map there (and getting routing directions on that site works correctly).

It would be so nice if Tesla had a system in place to report these kinds of issues (I can’t do bug reports because my car has no Internet connection at that location).

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah bug reports doesn't seem to do anything. There is a very odd one going to my parent's house where it has me do a U-turn at the next street up coming back and making a left, instead just making a right when I pass it the first time. Obviously I ignore the routing, but it has done this since I've owned the car.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah bug reports doesn't seem to do anything. There is a very odd one going to my parent's house where it has me do a U-turn at the next street up coming back and making a left, instead just making a right when I pass it the first time. Obviously I ignore the routing, but it has done this since I've owned the car.
I have a similar one in Fort Worth: north on University Dr to east on I-30 entrance ramp. The nav system says continue one block, take a left, go one block, take a left, then take a left to go straight through the light where it all started. Proves the adage: two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I "debugged" what the issue is …..well not really. the problem is real problem but I now know what is the wrong data that they have. When I set navigation to be "do not use HOV" lane, I get the bad routing as shown in the original post. when set to use HOV lane, it works just find. Mind you, that road have both HOV lane as well as none.
So from the looks of it, the maps "believe" that there is only an HOV lane on that road.

so I know what is wrong, it doesn't mean I know who to report it to …

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've done the following with my neighborhood and the updates did show on the satellite view in the car. However, these updates have not yet affected navigation.
  1. Go to https://www.google.com/maps
  2. Click on the 3 bar menu
  3. Scroll down and click on Send Feedback
  4. Click on either Missing Road or Suggest an Edit
  5. Perform changes
  6. Submit, then wait
My changes showed up in satellite view in just a few days. However, the in-car navigation does not honor it.

I have made the same changes in Waze Map Editor and that has not yet made a difference either.

I have considered making the same changes in OpenStreetMap but haven't gotten around to it. Either way, be aware that navigation changes are only downloaded to the car a few times a year. They also don't necessarily come at the same time as other software updates.
Try TomTom's map editor. I submitted some edits for roads in my neighborhood, and when the next set of Tesla maps came out, the car's navigation finally started using them properly for routings. https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Try TomTom's map editor. I submitted some edits for roads in my neighborhood, and when the next set of Tesla maps came out, the car's navigation finally started using them properly for routings. https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/
I’ve reported an incorrect speed limit both the Google and TomTom, and it was not corrected when the next map update came out.

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I routinely go through a series of 3 traffic circles near me on US Route 825, two of them are new as of a few years ago. When approaching the Northern most circle the Tesla navigation tells me to "take the first exit" to go through the circle and continue on 825, except that the first exit is not the continuation of 825, but a connecting route to another road! Does anyone know who I can contact to get this straightened out?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You will never "straighten out" a traffic "Circle" - however the way to report these items used to be with "Bug Report".

I think you can also go to Google Maps and plot your course. It might likely show the same error, if it does report the problem to Google Maps. Tesla uses a combination of services for mapping and one of those underlying services likely has the error. Fix the error at the souce and it will find it's wayto the car.

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You will never "straighten out" a traffic "Circle"
I bet Superman could straighten out a traffic circle!

... Tesla uses a combination of services for mapping and one of those underlying services likely has the error. Fix the error at the souce and it will find it's way to the car.
Well, you can't fix the error if you don't know where to report it. I hesitate to use the "Bug Report" method because from what I've been told, Tesla uses/used Google Maps for the display and Garmin's API for Navigation - but as I understand it, (from talking to Garmin) Tesla is now working with OpenStreetMaps and Mapzen Valhalla routing, so this problem may resolve when Tesla pushes new map software.