Official Navigation Data: NA-2020.12-11866

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Checked both cars. One car was updated, one was on old maps, but immediately started downloading after a quick 2 button reboot. I did notice that my Premium connectivity is set to renew on April 4. Thinking it won't be used much at all with the car sitting in the garage several weeks. Not sure it is worth trying to cancel for just a month or so.

Country
Country
So I'm not sure that's the case. I got home on lunch and checked the Software Tab. It showed my pending 2020.12 update but no matter what I did it never did a check for the map update.

Seeing that 2020.12.1 started to roll out to (I assume) fix the few phantom drain reports I've seen here, I figured ok let's install.

Immediately after the car rebooted the new map started to update.

I'm purely guessing that software 2020.12 and the 2020.12 map data might be closely related regarding signs, lights etc that fsd hw3 cars are seeing and perhaps some of that map layering Elon mentioned might be getting closer and closer if it's not there now.

Pure speculation on my part.

If anyone is on a sw version lower than 2020.12 are you getting the map update?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had hoped this maps update would fix my mile or so stretch of freeway where NoA disables, but it didn't (I'd hoped the same from the 2019 nav update too...).

The issue is the freeway previously had 2 close together full access traffic lighted intersections (was a total PITA in the middle of a 55mph freeway, and you'd see rear end wreck at least once a week during normal commuting). about a year ago, DOT removed the intersections and converted these to more traditional on/off ramp accesses. NoA still sees these as "freeway ending in x feet" just prior, then resumes thinking it is a freeway after passing the 2nd one.

video sound courtesy of this one

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious. What exactly does the nav update contain?? Places, locations, etc?? The system does download new "map tiles" pretty constantly, as I understand it, so what is actually contained in the 5+ GB file??

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious. What exactly does the nav update contain?? Places, locations, etc?? The system does download new "map tiles" pretty constantly, as I understand it, so what is actually contained in the 5+ GB file??
Everything you see on your map screens... roads, highways, interstates, rivers, speed limits, elevations, local businesses, etc.

FWIW, speed limits I updated via OpenStreetMaps a year ago still have the wrong speed limit. It's on my way to work and posted at 40 mph, yet my M3 thinks it's 35, which prevents me from using AP for every trip to work. The lane going the opposite direction has it right. It's 3 lanes both way. Go figure.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everything you see on your map screens... roads, highways, interstates, rivers, speed limits, elevations, local businesses, etc.

FWIW, speed limits I updated via OpenStreetMaps a year ago still have the wrong speed limit. It's on my way to work and posted at 40 mph, yet my M3 thinks it's 35, which prevents me from using AP for every trip to work. The lane going the opposite direction has it right. It's 3 lanes both way. Go figure.
I feel your pain. I firmly believe maps will never be correct so hopefully, they drop the dependencies for lanes and speed limits sooner rather than later.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As they improve the AI, they could easily be reading speed markers and be sending that info up to the mothership to keep things current. It's picking up Stop signs and garbage cans pretty well right now, so it's certainly feasible.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As they improve the AI, they could easily be reading speed markers and be sending that info up to the mothership to keep things current. It's picking up Stop signs and garbage cans pretty well right now, so it's certainly feasible.
Mind if I correct your post? As they improve the AI, they could easily be reading speed markers and send discrepancies up to the mothership....

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Speed limits are not pulled from the maps. Apparently Tesla uses OpenMaps for some things, and it also uses TomTom for some other info, and another provider for different information, still. That's why I was curious what the maps actually provide, since you may or may not know, Tesla will download new map tiles to your car, from time to time, instead of updating the whole maps pack.

sduck

Country
Country
Speed limits are indeed baked into the maps. But no-one knows which source they're using for that data. There's a pesky little section of a main road near me that that was a 25 mph construction zone 4 years ago, that for some reason is stuck there. I've tried fixing it on google maps, tomtom, and OSM, with no luck. The tiles you're seeing download are just the satellite view overlays - they're a bit slow to load sometimes if you're in a difficult reception area.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Speed limits are not pulled from the maps. Apparently Tesla uses OpenMaps for some things, and it also uses TomTom for some other info, and another provider for different information, still. That's why I was curious what the maps actually provide, since you may or may not know, Tesla will download new map tiles to your car, from time to time, instead of updating the whole maps pack.
over a year ago, I've sent corrections of a wrong speed limit (shows in the car as 70, IRL is 50) to Google Maps, TomTom, OpenMaps, in car bug reports, and at least one other on-line open source mapping, and it has not yet been updated in the car over the last two nav updates.