National News Outlet seeking Tesla Experiences

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hi everyone! I'm an auto reporter for a national news outlet and I'm looking into the history of the Models S and X. As I'm sure you saw today, Elon Musk said there will be no redesigns to the Model S or Model X. I'm curious what your experiences have been with these models? Since neither model has had a major redesign in its lifespan, would you still buy a new Model S or X today? Or, would you rather buy the Model 3?

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hi everyone! I'm an auto reporter for a national news outlet and I'm looking into the history of the Models S and X. As I'm sure you saw today, Elon Musk said there will be no redesigns to the Model S or Model X. I'm curious what your experiences have been with these models? Since neither model has had a major redesign in its lifespan, would you still buy a new Model S or X today? Or, would you rather buy the Model 3?

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hi everyone! I'm an auto reporter for a national news outlet and I'm looking into reasons behind why you bought the Model 3. As I'm sure you saw today, Elon Musk said there will be no redesigns to the Model S or Model X. I'm curious if you decided to purchase the Model 3 because Tesla hasn't made any major redesigns to both the Model S and X since they were first introduced? Additionally, if you own more than one Tesla, I'm curious to hear what your experiences have been with them.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There was a major visual redesign (facelift) of the S a few years back
...there have been piles and piles of incremental changes to the car over the years.

Speculation but it seems obvious: The whole point of 'there is no refresh' is so they don't cannibalize their current inventory sales with 'the next one is coming soon'. It will always change and update. Next step is almost certainly the 2170 battery cell architecture update, reluctance motor, etc.

My experience: On a scale of bad to good: Good.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In before your threads get merged as they're the same question with a false premise.

I bought a 3 because I could afford it finally. I did not choose to buy the 3 because S/X were [allegedly] unchanged. I bought the 3 because it has comparable features to the S for 1/2 the price.

Owning the 3, and having borrowed an S - I love them both. The 3 in my opinion is the greatest thing to ever happen to automobiles.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
In before your threads get merged as they're the same question with a false premise.

I bought a 3 because I could afford it finally. I did not choose to buy the 3 because S/X were [allegedly] unchanged. I bought the 3 because it has comparable features to the S for 1/2 the price.

Owning the 3, and having borrowed an S - I love them both. The 3 in my opinion is the greatest thing to ever happen to automobiles.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. This is helpful.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Come on, get your facts straight to start with. I don't believe that's what Elon said. There will be updates, just not any major ones. I believe that said that because there tended to be a contingent that was waiting to purchase because there was a rumor of a major redesign, just squash it so that sales can recover.
You compare the S, X and 3 as if they were equal options, but the reality is $60k, $90k, and $140k. And then there's the size factor.

Sure, the Model 3 cannibalized some of the S and X sales. But the reality wasn't that the Model 3 drew from S and X sales as much as the absence of the Model 3 increased S and X sales until the Model 3 was available, then sale normalized.
Unlike many other cars, Tesla experience the legacy new iPhone effect. There were a lot of Model S and X users that sold cars to get the Model 3. That just meant that even more people had access to Tesla cars.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1. EV's are the future, time to get on board.
2. The S and X are too big for my needs, so I waited 2 years for delivery of the Model3. Early reservation holder.
3. Climate change is real, and I do everything reasonably possible help the planet.
4. Tesla is a decade ahead of all other EV producers. It's not just the 300 mile plus range, its all the software. SuperCharger network, AutoPilot, Summon, Dog Mode, Cabin Cooling, Sentry etc. Many of these could have been done by ICE makers but they focused on little things, Tesla/Musk made leaps. Like the iPhone being introduced in a world of flip phones.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Next step is almost certainly the ... reluctance motor
That already happened. S & X front motors have been replaced with the Model 3's rear reluctance motor. That's how they got the Model S range up to 370 miles.

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with everything said above except I'm not in it to save the planet. As un-PC as that sounds it's just the truth. The Model 3 was the first Tesla I could afford and I stood in line with everyone else and dropped $1000 before a single picture was ever released of the car.

I've always been a car nut and a tech nut, this car is the best of both worlds and Tesla is SO far ahead it's not even funny. The Model 3 is the BEST product I've ever purchased, Period, No questions asked. Even if I could afford an S or X I would not want one, the 3 is the perfect size, range, and performance for all I need. Better batteries, more efficient, faster charging, quicker road trips, and a better interior as far as I'm concerned.

Now if Elon would just get on with taking over the Galaxy so he can be in charge of everything and make all products as good as this then life would be grand!!:)

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone! I'm an auto reporter for a national news outlet and I'm looking into reasons behind why you bought the Model 3. As I'm sure you saw today, Elon Musk said there will be no redesigns to the Model S or Model X. I'm curious if you decided to purchase the Model 3 because Tesla hasn't made any major redesigns to both the Model S and X since they were first introduced? Additionally, if you own more than one Tesla, I'm curious to hear what your experiences have been with them.
Please identify your news association. Your IP address shows as Bloomberg

Shaw_DC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a Model 3 because I am rarely in the car with more than one other person so it's the right size for a second vehicle. I may follow it up with a Y when it becomes available as it will be time to replace my compact SUV. X and S are nice but were never under serious considerations. I prefer smaller vehicles.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a Model 3 because:
  1. I didn't want to buy another internal combustion engine. EVs are simpler, easier to maintain, and better for the planet.
  2. Major car-makers really didn't seem interested in making a usable BEV. Every one I looked into had some sort of flaw that seem designed to be annoying. (Have you seen the strange bump in the cargo section of the Honda Clarity?) They had a 15 year head start on Tesla -- if they really wanted to do it, they'd already have done it.
  3. I'm not interested in someone's compliance car, even if I could get my hands on one this far from California. I want a car whose manufacturer cares about its success.
  4. If fuel cell cars were going to happen, they'd be happening. Frankly, they are just electric cars that store their energy in hydrogen instead of a battery. At this point in time, it looks much easier to build a car-charging infrastructure than a hydrogen delivery infrastructure.
  5. Adaptive cruise control was a must-have, given the state of my right knee. The Chevy Bolt still doesn't offer it. (See my "fatal flaw" observation.)
  6. Once you understand the driver assist technologies in Teslas, every other car looks so 20th century.
  7. I had my Prius for over 13 years, and at no point did it gain a new feature or function. My Tesla gained its Navigate on Autopilot feature two weeks after I bought it -- and it didn't cost me anything extra. Can you name any other car manufacturer that does something like that?
  8. When you buy a car from a regular car company, they're done with you. (Heck, they're done with you once they sell the car to the dealer who sells it to you.) Tesla deals with me directly and they're trying to make my car better all the time.
  9. I enjoy the idea of driving a smartphone.
  10. I'm looking forward to an autonomous driving future, where I can send my Model 3 out into the Tesla Fleet to earn some money.
And I bought my Model 3 even though I hate the sedan form factor. It's a very comfortable car and I very much enjoy it -- until I need to carry something large or awkwardly shaped.

B.Silva

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a Model 3 because I'd heard a lot of great things about Tesla cars from friends of mine. Teslas are very common where I live, the Seattle area. (Indeed I've heard WA is #1 state for Tesla ownership per capita and Seattle area is #1 city per capita). I'm in tech and the tech factor definitely appealed to me. I thought, this is something I need to understand better. OTOH, I didn't want something as big as a Model S or X. And, since my interest in Tesla was kind of a lark, I didn't want to spend as much money as an S or X. I like the size of the Model 3; it's much easier to get around town and park. I would have preferred a crossover/SUV, but didn't want a Model X: too big, too much money. I will strongly consider a Model Y when it's out.

I test drove a Model 3 and wow, it was unlike any other car I'd ever driven. I've owned BMWs, Porsches, Audis, etc. The minimalist interior, the big single screen, the one-pedal driving (with regenerative braking), the instant acceleration, the UI of the screen. I was blown away. It was like a car was re-imagined and re-invented, everything thought through so carefully and simplified.. Rather than one kludge after another added on as with ICE's today (I still have an Audi Q5). For example, I hate the navigation systems on every other car I've ever driven. They're so bad that I just use Google Maps on my phone. But the Model 3 is so easy to use, I use it every time now I need nav and haven't used Google Maps. And if you look something up in Google Maps on your phone, it's simple to send it from the phone to the car and navigate to there. Similarly, I rarely used cruise control in my ICEs over the years. But in my Model 3, I use TACC all the time, and auto steer too (especially on the highway).

Mechanically, the car is dramatically simpler, too, than an ICE. It's a couple of electric motors, a battery pack, and some very smart software. There's very little that needs to be maintained. All I've done is put windshield washer fluid in it.

In so so so many ways, the car is a revelation. It's really a work of genius how they've made things simpler, easier, and better.

The driving experience is also next level. It's the most fun car to drive I've ever had, and that includes a Porsche 911 Turbo.

And it keeps getting better. Software updates over the air add new features (and fix bugs) and they're free. Imagine getting 5% more power with a software update. For free. Major new features, like Sentry mode. For free. Improved autopilot. For free.

When I get back in my Audi Q5, the dash is a bewildering, dizzying array of buttons, switches, stalks, dials, and gauges. And a pain in the rear to use. Nav, I hate it. The entertainment system, I hate it. Integration with my phone, awful.

The Model 3 has spoiled me for life as to what an automobile should be.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've combined kylecars' threads into one, and moved it to the Media & News subforum.
Feel free to answer any of the three questions he's asked within this thread.

Please remember to keep the discussion civil. View this as an opportunity to enlighten in a friendly manner. :)

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I always liked the Model S as an ideal car, except it was out of my reach due to the price. As soon as I saw there would be a more affordable model (Model 3) I reserved one. I wasn't sure that was the car I'd get at the time, but I didn't want to lose my place and have to potentially wait until after 2020 if I did want one. At the time there was potentially a very long wait for non-reservation-holders. Ultimately I stuck with the Model 3, because at the time (July 2018) it was still the only EV without compromises. And it still is.

So why electric? I guess in my daily life I don't see the point in buying gasoline anymore. Most of the gas stations on my route to work are inconvenient to get to. My daily commute is usually about 30 miles, but if I'm sent to work's stores, it can balloon to 50 or 100 quickly, and if it happens when gas prices are high - which it did, once - then it gets ugly. With an EV it only costs a few cents more to double or triple my commute. And the maintenance cost is almost nonexistent.

I'm also not wealthy enough to "make choices for the environment" unless they also save me money somehow. So far, I've managed to make it work courtesy of Tesla and some really difficult math crunching to make solar panels on the house cost less than the usual electric bill.

I believe that global warming or climate change shouldn't be a reason to clean up our act. Have you noticed the crap that ends up in the air when you're next to a busy road? Imagine a day when the air beside a road is just as fresh and clean as in a park. Or when big cities like Shanghai and Los Angeles have air as clear as an open field in Montana. The environment rebounds really fast, all we have to do is give it the chance to do so. Start small, and let the Earth take care of the rest.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Come on, get your facts straight to start with. I don't believe that's what Elon said. There will be updates, just not any major ones. I believe that said that because there tended to be a contingent that was waiting to purchase because there was a rumor of a major redesign, just squash it so that sales can recover.
You compare the S, X and 3 as if they were equal options, but the reality is $60k, $90k, and $140k. And then there's the size factor.

Sure, the Model 3 cannibalized some of the S and X sales. But the reality wasn't that the Model 3 drew from S and X sales as much as the absence of the Model 3 increased S and X sales until the Model 3 was available, then sale normalized.
Unlike many other cars, Tesla experience the legacy new iPhone effect. There were a lot of Model S and X users that sold cars to get the Model 3. That just meant that even more people had access to Tesla cars.
I apologize for the mistake. I did mean to write that he said there will be updates, just not a major redesign.