Nail repair problems

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Pulled out today and got a low tire pressure warning. Sure enough a nail is stuck in the tread. No big deal, it has happened many times before. It is Sunday and noon so only a handful of shops are open. First one is Pep Boys but the are swamped. Then I go to Goodyear tire place. They take it quickly but then refuse to fix it because of the foam in the tire. They say they don't repair those types of tires. I call Tesla Roadside. Three options, loaner wheel swap, tow it 50 miles to a SC or try to find a local place. They explained anyone should be able to patch it since you just cut the foam out, patch, glue the foam back, but no one seems to want to bother or take the chance. Of course no loaner wheels available in the state. So now it is later and I call around and no one wants to touch the tire.

These tires are looking to be a real pain. 984 miles on them. Hopefully I can find a place to do it locally, before I waste most of the day Monday going up to the SC.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's a shame that all of these "tire shops" act like the foam is some alien technology that they can't understand. It would be best to find somebody to put a proper patch on the inside of the tire.

For now, I suggest fixing it with a tire plug. I've had great luck with just using one of these plugs to fix punctures in the tread. You can then continue to use the tire until you're able to find someone who's not afraid to patch it.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's a shame that all of these "tire shops" act like the foam is some alien technology that they can't understand. It would be best to find somebody to put a proper patch on the inside of the tire.

For now, I suggest fixing it with a tire plug. I've had great luck with just using one of these plugs to fix punctures in the tread. You can then continue to use the tire until you're able to find someone who's not afraid to patch it.

I was going to post about plugs but I’ve never used them higher than 32/34 psi

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I bought that originally and then had problems getting the hole big enough. So figured let's let the pros do it. Tesla Roadside said the shops are hit and miss.

ddatta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a similar situation, and I am losing about 2 psi per day. I called tesla service, and they recommended that i take it to a local tire shop for repairing the flat.
Do you know of any establishment in central NJ that does tesla tire repairs?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a screw in my all season tires, I use as summer tires, and am trying to get it patched this morning. Firestone would not do it because of the foam. At Discount Tire now and they are patching it.

Edit: Discount Tire did it for free too!

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a screw in my all season tires, I use as summer tires, and am trying to get it patched this morning. Firestone would not do it because of the foam. At Discount Tire now and they are patching it.

Edit: Discount Tire did it for free too!
Did you have to bring your own "hocky puck"? Thanks.