My Tesla M3 Died (Computer and 12 volt battery replaced)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had two back to back trips recently (a week, and week and a half). When I left for the first one, I left my Model 3 unplugged. The battery was about 270 miles. I would check the state of the battery remotely every day and it was about 265 miles. The day before I was due to return home, the app stopped connecting. When I arrived home I was able to open the door, but the screen was dead. I went through the reboot procedure a few times (hold both buttons on steering wheel and press brake pedal) to no avail.

I called Tesla road service, explained the problem, they had me repeat the reboot procedure. The odd thing was that the car's lights came on, but the screen was black. They said that the 12 volt battery was probably dead and it needed a jump. That seemed odd to me given the last time I had checked remotely, there was still over 260 miles of range. They sent a tow truck.

When he arrived, he tried the reboot procedure again, it didn't work, then opened the port in the front bumper and put a battery on it. No change, the screen was still black. He asked if I wanted to him to tow it to the local service center, I said OK.

The odd thing was he was able to drive the car out the driveway and up to the back of his tow truck. Apparently the car was still drivable, just not the computer.

Tesla called me the next morning before I left for my second trip, they said they had received the car and would work on finding and fixing the problem. They mentioned that would get Tesla engineering involved, as they like to diagnose problems in the Model 3 since the car is relatively new.

I got several calls while I was away giving me updates. They ended up replacing the computer and the 12 volt battery. It was there for about 10 days, the day before I got home they brought it back to my house and put it in the driveway. Very nice! Software was updated to 2018.26.3. I had to redo the configuration I had done earlier and reconnect my phone over bluetooth.

I am still not sure exactly what happened, or if leaving it unplugged was part of the problem. The last person I talked to at Tesla recommended leaving it plugged in when leaving the car for a week. He said to set the charge level to about 50% and leave it plugged in. I will do this next time I am away.

Anyone else had anything similar happen?

Thanks.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The last person I talked to at Tesla recommended leaving it plugged in when leaving the car for a week. He said to set the charge level to about 50% and leave it plugged in.
Yep, this is the best thing to do when leaving the car for an extended period.