My Tesla Direct Dropoff Experience

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I posted this on the TMC forum, just thought I'd post it here as well and correct some gibberish on my end.

I got my car (White/Black int. PUP) dropped off today around noon. When I got my email that the car was delivered outside, I rushed outside and found the agent was waiting for his uber ride so we chatted for a bit (with social distance). Nice kid. I was super excited, walked around the car, and took some pictures. I didn't see any crazy panel gaps, the paint looked fine, this car looked great in person.

Here are some of the pictures-

img_4803-jpg.32946

img_4806-jpg.32947

img_4805-jpg.32948

img_4804-jpg.32949

So while I was setting up to unlock the car, the agent told me there was a slight issue he noticed when he was walking around the car...the front passenger wheel...

img_4802-jpg.32950

My heart dropped a bit then.

The agent told me that he didn't notice it until he went around the car after the delivery and somehow this wasn't caught on during the initial inspection. I asked him to call the delivery center right away because either he will get in trouble for it and I don't want them to blame me for it. He called the delivery center and told them what happened. The person on the line pulled up my information told him that service will reach out to me to setup an appt to replace the wheel. I took down his phone number before he left so he can follow up with me.

The agent later texted me and said my "due bill" is noted on my account, the rim will be replaced for free so I just need to setup an appointment at a service center. I went in the app to schedule the appointment for next Monday at a service center nearby.

I went through the interior of the car, there were some sort of dark stains on the backseat which I tried to clean off earlier but couldn't get it out so I am going bring that up on Monday as well. Here a pic of it-

img_4809-jpg.32951

Another issue- my rear center and left passenger seats are having trouble reclining down with the trunk button. It just makes the mechanical sounds but doesn't drop down. I am able to recline them sitting in the seat though. Here is a vid of it- Rear Seat Issue

The right passenger seat is fine, trunk button works. I think it might be some of misalignment that's causing the issue which I will ask them to take care of that on Monday as well.

Overall this car is great! (besides the wheel rash).

For all of you who are doing direct drop off- Make sure to check the car right away. Keep an eye out for your delivery. If you happen to catch whoever is delivering the car, ask them to stay for a bit (with social distance) while you go over the car real quick. I think that will help out a lot.

I would still prefer to pick up the car at the delivery center if I get another Tesla in the future but with everything going on right now, this isn't bad at all. I got the car earlier than I expected and I am enjoying it.

Stay safe everyone!

I'm still trying to figure out a name for my Model Y in the mean time.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is some serious wheel rash and it actually looks very recent with the concrete still on the tire too. I'm wondering if the back seat is just because they are tight and haven't been folded but a few times? Hope they address all of the issues.

So had he parked it and he was ready to jump in his Uber and ride away? Where had he left the keys? Did he require your signature?

They've done home delivery a long time, but understand they're even doing more, with very little contact or close proximity to the consumer. Drop the car and hit the road, but I would want a walk around in person for sure before they drive off.

Nice looking car though, congrats and enjoy.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
That is some serious wheel rash and it actually looks very recent with the concrete still on the tire too. I'm wondering if the back seat is just because they are tight and haven't been folded but a few times? Hope they address all of the issues.

So had he parked it and he was ready to jump in his Uber and ride away? Where had he left the keys? Did he require your signature?

They've done home delivery a long time, but understand they're even doing more, with very little contact or close proximity to the consumer. Drop the car and hit the road, but I would want a walk around in person for sure before they drive off.

Nice looking car though, congrats and enjoy.
Thank you!

Yeah, the wheel rash is not pretty to look at for sure. I actually won't have noticed it if he didn't point it out to me since the car wheel was sitting in the shadow.

For this delivery, I was not supposed to interact with him at all actually. He was just supposed to drop the car off and leave. The keys and DMV information were left in the car. I just have to sign the DMV forms and then fedex them out in 24 hrs after receiving the car. This is going to be the process for all the Model y deliveries in CA I think during the shelter in place.

I wonder if he had left the car there with the curb rash damage, would Tesla still replace the wheel?

As for the rear seats, they are a bit tight but I've been folding them down and up for quite a bit. They're also quite heavy. I'll see what they say on Monday.

Tesla Newbie

TOO Supporting Member
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The delivery is contactless by design. Here is the text of the text:

“Tesla Update - We expect to drop off your Model Y to your address at xxx in the next 1-3 days. There is no need to be present at drop-off, you will be able to access your Model Y with the Tesla App.

You must complete the following in your Tesla Account before delivery:
- Electronically sign your contract, which will be available on 3/27
- Submit final payment, if necessary

Once your Model Y is dropped off, you will receive an email to electronically accept delivery, which must be completed within 24 hours of receipt. Please reply to this text with any questions.”

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car arrived tonight, just magically appearing in the driveway.

Quite a time investment difference from the hours of waiting at the delivery center back in the early crazy days of Model 3.

Haven’t seen in the daylight yet. Perfect so far.
That is quite remarkable - it just appears in your driveway. If they are leaving the keys in the car, they would have to add the car to your account so you can unlock and get in. If this is the case, I wonder how tightly they are timing the point they add the car to your account? They used to do it as you showed up in the show room. I'm wondering if they now do it when they leave to make the drive to your location? If so and you are checking you might get a heads up of 30 minutes to an hour before they arrive, or before it magically appears.

Either way - I'm thinking a video with date and time (maybe also capture the odometer reading) documenting a review of the car or any problems would go a long ways to protecting you for any issues found.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
That is quite remarkable - it just appears in your driveway. If they are leaving the keys in the car, they would have to add the car to your account so you can unlock and get in. If this is the case, I wonder how tightly they are timing the point they add the car to your account? They used to do it as you showed up in the show room. I'm wondering if they now do it when they leave to make the drive to your location? If so and you are checking you might get a heads up of 30 minutes to an hour before they arrive, or before it magically appears.

Either way - I'm thinking a video with date and time (maybe also capture the odometer reading) documenting a review of the car or any problems would go a long ways to protecting you for any issues found.
From my experience yesterday, it took about 15 mintues after delivery for my app to activate before I could get into the car. So seems like the delivery guy needs to confirm drop off before activation.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@jwuwu that wheel sure is a nice design, But it seems like it would be a curb rash magnet since it looks like it bulges out (convex) a bit from the tire by design. Maybe it’s an optical illusion from the angle of the picture.
You're right. The tire sidewalls are slim and the dark color definitely makes the rash pop and stand out. I will look for a set of aftermarkets around November.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had hopes that Tesla would learn from the epidemic of curb rash with the Model3 and make design changes that would minimize this problem on future models. But apparently not...

That reminds me, time to go touch up my rims...AGAIN!!!

Last edited: