Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

My take on the Faraday Future launch of the FF91

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Gary Moore 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
#6 ·
I think the whole VPA architecture, which I think is a great innovation, is more around how they designed their battery. I recall from last year they said their cells are made into module bricks which they call strings which can be clicked together like LEGO so the batteries can be adapted into whatever length and width they need.

As long as the motors are standardized then it should be trivial to extend or widen the rails to make whatever sized car they want.

#7 ·
I think the whole VPA architecture, which I think is a great innovation, is more around how they designed their battery. I recall from last year they said their cells are made into module bricks which they call strings which can be clicked together like LEGO so the batteries can be adapted into whatever length and width they need.

As long as the motors are standardized then it should be trivial to extend or widen the rails to make whatever sized car they want.
Understood... But it's the not so "secret sauce" that differentiates them from their competitors...

Should have shown it in action with at least two different prototypes in differing premium formats. I think X competition is lacking, and they could have gone after that. (to be fair the Jaguar EV plans look to do that, but they're also next year at earliest.)

#8 ·
(...) As promised, I wrote an article on my blog about the evening and the FF91.

Long story short, I'm not tempted, but am supportive.
(...)
Fabulous summary, @AEDennis , informative, extremely well illustrated (!) and nice, objective commentary that I all - from a (very long) distance - totally subscribe to, having patiently, like others, watched the entire video...! Actually, I think reading your blog on the event was a much more effective use of (shorter) time than viewing the 90' video and, like you, I kept on waiting to see the car much earlier instead of a lot of this bla bla... (sorry, am not as kind as you...!). So GREAT job, thank you!

#13 ·
So what the deal with those side view cameras. I was under the impression that they aren't legal in the US. China only, or did they get special dispensation?

When your demo fails on the presentation stage, you need to SAY what everyone else is thinking: "Well, that's embarrassing. The vagaries of prototypes. Sorry folks." Not sneak someone into the car when the lights are down.

Thank you kindly.

#14 ·
The FF design allows for both or just the cameras to be installed... so, future proofing if and when the law let's us use camera only.

#15 ·
I don't nearly have as many readers as MKBHD has viewers, but I did get to see the FF91 up close and personal on the reveal night a few days ago in Las Vegas.

As promised, I wrote an article on my blog about the evening and the FF91.

Long story short, I'm not tempted, but am supportive.

The view from our seats...

IMG_3789 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

and after I got a little closer...

IMG_3801 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr
Oh my goodness! That logo is really clever!

Reactions: Michael Russo
#18 ·
Back in 1969 on live TV, many people thought that the countdown in the audio was the time until humanity actually landed upon the moon. In fact that was indeed rather close; it was the countdown until the time that the spacecraft was going to run out of fuel, meaning the countdown was of the time until some form of crashing became the soupe du jour.

Whew!

A nice logo is an achievement, but If designing a clever logo was all that it took to make an electric car drive off the stage on its own with the lights still up, then perhaps Imaginary Friend Pictures in Mumbai might have given us all a lift sooner: http://www.imaginaryfriendpictures.com/profiles.aspx

Doing things for the first time is always risky. Unlike the implications of a recent Yahoo headline about Tesla, "risk" always implies you might lose; otherwise, what are you risking, being home way too late, because of all the many curtain calls?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.