My Solar Year in PA

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
2019 was our first complete year of having our solar panels installed and producing for us. It was a very good year. It is an 11.97 kW system with 38 panels, of which 13 face Southeast and 25 face Southwest. The system was estimated to produce 13,600 kWh per year, but our actual for this year was 14,000 kWh, which is a 3% bonus. Our system was sized for 100% offset of our home electricity use, plus 30% to allow for car charging (as the design basis year was before we had EVs). Our actual usage for the year was about 2000 kWh less than expected, so that we are a total of about 2400 kWh to the positive.

Plot is attached showing the expected/design basis values as curves and the actuals as bar charts.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2019 was our first complete year of having our solar panels installed and producing for us. It was a very good year. It is an 11.97 kW system with 38 panels, of which 13 face Southeast and 25 face Southwest. The system was estimated to produce 13,600 kWh per year, but our actual for this year was 14,000 kWh, which is a 3% bonus. Our system was sized for 100% offset of our home electricity use, plus 30% to allow for car charging (as the design basis year was before we had EVs). Our actual usage for the year was about 2000 kWh less than expected, so that we are a total of about 2400 kWh to the positive.

Plot is attached showing the expected/design basis values as curves and the actuals as bar charts.
View attachment 31623
Interested in the details of your system equipment.... Panel Brand/Wattage & Inverter Type/Size

My system is nearly identical at 12.35 kW just over the boarder in NJ. It's also designed to be 100% offset although estimating was tough since I hadn't had my Model 3 a full year during the design phase.
System Details:
  • 38 Hanwha Q-Cells DUO-G5 325w Panels
  • 38 SolarEdge P400 Optimizers
  • 1 SolarEdge 11400H Inverter
  • 3 Arrays/Strings Total
  • 20 Panels South
  • 12 Panels East
  • 6 Panels West
Only been online since the first week of Sept. 2019, but chugging along with 3.662MWh generated to date. Excited to see what a full 2020 will bring! :cool:
Our first year system output estimate given by our contractor GPE was 14,354 kWh.

Are you on PVoutput? You can check out my system here: https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=67749

Attachments

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@NJturtlePower....Yes, we have very similar systems. Mine has 315 W panels and we have 2 solar edge inverters, but I don’t offhand know all the specs. Thanks for the link to pvoutput.org. I was not aware of that website but it looks fascinating and I will definitely look into joining it.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
PVoutput is really cool and offers much more data tracking, analysis and reporting vs. the SolarEdge dashboard alone.

To give you a quick rundown, once you register and input your system details including monthly production estimates, etc, you then set up your Auto Upload data source which is your SolarEdge inverters. You use your Site ID from the SE dashboard to request an API Key via online chat if you don't have full Admin rights on the SE site. With that API Key you plug that into the appropriate PVoutput section and all your production data coming out of your inverters is automatically uploaded every 15-min to the PVoutput site for viewing and analysis. There are also a few advances data fields that will only populate with a paid donation (linked below)...I believe it was about $10 US (it's an Australian run site) for the year but not required. There's a full help guide as well on the top bar for any setup or fields that are not clear. For me the tricky part was just combining/averaging my 3 array estimates and details since the system only allows you to input two arrays total. I input my largest southern array by itself and then did some averaging for the smaller two.

Live Data Example for today....
pvoutput-live-data-jpg.31747

https://pvoutput.org/help.html#donations

Overall it's much like TeslaFi for Tesla, which I also LOVE and been using since Day-1 on my Model 3. If you haven't tried TeslaFi yet send me a message, I can give you a referral for an extra 2-weeks free for a total of 1-month. There's so much data coming out of our cars that we never see or can use without a service like this. Example attached below*

https://about.teslafi.com/

Don't mean to clutter your Solar thread too much, hope the info is useful to you or others browsing the site....feel free to message me for any questions, etc. :)

Attachments

Last edited: