My mother needs advice - Model 3 delivery but nothing else

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PatrickM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My father is an owner of a Model S and my mother paid for and took delivery of her red Tesla Model 3 in Bozeman, Montana, about 3 weeks ago. The nearest delivery center is Salt Lake City which is 6.5 hours drive one way. The car was a little dirty after sitting at the Salt Lake City delivery center for 3 previous weeks waiting for a truck but aside from a bit of dirt there were no other issues with the car and once cleaned it looks great, drives great and generally works great except for two issues.

1. They didn't give her temporary plates, and they didn't give her any paperwork at all. So she has no tag on the car on the car at all and no paperwork at all came with the car.
2. The car is not present in her My Tesla account and the car isn't visible in the app under her log in and it's not present in my father's login for his app or his My Tesla account either. So it's nowhere.

My mother has been calling and emailing about once a day for three weeks now about the car not being visible in the account and they keep saying that they will get this fixed, but nothing has changed - it's always "definitely will be fixed tomorrow" and then nothing. Everyone is nice and friendly and they always say that this is in progress but nothing ever changes and then my mother calls again a day or two later and it's the same thing. A few days ago a slightly more helpful customer service rep said that the issue is that the car is still showing as having not been delivered, and that that is the underlying issue. As far as the lack of paperwork and the lack of temporary tags they said that there's nothing that can be done and the paperwork will arrive in a few weeks - but they said that three weeks ago. The car was paid for well in advance of delivery and Tesla acknowledges that she bought and paid for the car and then say that the process of transferring it to her is "in progress and will be complete by tomorrow".

In the meantime, she was pulled over tonight by a friendly policeman in Bozeman who said something like "nice car, but you need to get the dealer temporary tags put on it" and with that friendly warning he waved and walked away (clearly Montana police are nicer than what I'm used to) but now my mother is concerned about driving the car at all.

I told my mother to escalate to an executive, but apparently you can only do that if you have a car in your account - if you have a Tesla car, you can go to manage, "ask a question" and click "escalate to an executive" but this doesn't seem to be an option if you don't have a car visible in the account, which is precisely the issue that needs to be fixed.

Do you guys have any advice?

Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I told my mother to escalate to an executive, but apparently you can only do that if you have a car in your account - if you have a Tesla car, you can go to manage, "ask a question" and click "escalate to an executive" but this doesn't seem to be an option if you don't have a car visible in the account, which is precisely the issue that needs to be fixed.
As a Model S owner, can your father use the "escalate to executive" option? Given that the Model 3 used to be under his account, it seems like it's a valid matter for him to raise on your mother's behalf. Explaining the whole situation as you did -- including the incident with the police -- should convey the appropriate sense of urgency.

Deadbattery

Country
Country
My father is an owner of a Model S and my mother paid for and took delivery of her red Tesla Model 3 in Bozeman, Montana, about 3 weeks ago. The nearest delivery center is Salt Lake City which is 6.5 hours drive one way. The car was a little dirty after sitting at the Salt Lake City delivery center for 3 previous weeks waiting for a truck but aside from a bit of dirt there were no other issues with the car and once cleaned it looks great, drives great and generally works great except for two issues.

1. They didn't give her temporary plates, and they didn't give her any paperwork at all. So she has no tag on the car on the car at all and no paperwork at all came with the car.
2. The car is not present in her My Tesla account and the car isn't visible in the app under her log in and it's not present in my father's login for his app or his My Tesla account either. So it's nowhere.

My mother has been calling and emailing about once a day for three weeks now about the car not being visible in the account and they keep saying that they will get this fixed, but nothing has changed - it's always "definitely will be fixed tomorrow" and then nothing. Everyone is nice and friendly and they always say that this is in progress but nothing ever changes and then my mother calls again a day or two later and it's the same thing. A few days ago a slightly more helpful customer service rep said that the issue is that the car is still showing as having not been delivered, and that that is the underlying issue. As far as the lack of paperwork and the lack of temporary tags they said that there's nothing that can be done and the paperwork will arrive in a few weeks - but they said that three weeks ago. The car was paid for well in advance of delivery and Tesla acknowledges that she bought and paid for the car and then say that the process of transferring it to her is "in progress and will be complete by tomorrow".

In the meantime, she was pulled over tonight by a friendly policeman in Bozeman who said something like "nice car, but you need to get the dealer temporary tags put on it" and with that friendly warning he waved and walked away (clearly Montana police are nicer than what I'm used to) but now my mother is concerned about driving the car at all.

Why did your mother steal a car Patrick?

;-)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Love it! That’s me....the criminal element of our family. Thanks for the fun comment,
Pat’s Mom
Hi Kathy,

I sent you a PM. There should be a red square looking thing at the top of the page to the left of the bell shape. Click on that and see if you can find my message.

PatrickM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi Kathy,

I sent you a PM. There should be a red square looking thing at the top of the page to the left of the bell shape. Click on that and see if you can find my message.
Thanks, Garsh. Either you have superpowers or else someone else at Tesla reads these forums or else just coincidentally things started to move at Tesla this morning, but it looks like everything is happening now. There's been a flurry of emails this morning including a piece of paper that my mother signed indicating that she took delivery of the car (three weeks ago, they back-dated it :) ) and now there's a change on the Tesla.com account page where the car has been moved from "your delivery profile is complete" and now says "access denied". Which might not be an improvement, but at least it's a change. And then for the license plates there's a sticker for the window that was sent to the wrong address that doesn't actually seem to be temporary plates but Tesla says it will suffice until the delivery documentation is complete and sent for permanent license plates. So that is en-route to my mother and that theoretically will make her street legal - I've never heard of a small window sticker on the front windshield working as temporary plates, but Tesla says it will work so we'll go with that.

Thanks for the advice, and also the amusing comment about my mother the car thief. (my mother is not quite a "grand theft auto" kind of person). You guys rock!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks, Garsh. Either you have superpowers or else someone else at Tesla reads these forums or else just coincidentally things started to move...
My guess is, "coincidentally".

Anyhow, let us know if you run into problems again, or better yet, let us know once things have been straightened out.

Enjoy the car! :)

PatrickM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My guess is, "coincidentally".

Anyhow, let us know if you run into problems again, or better yet, let us know once things have been straightened out.

Enjoy the car! :)
My mother and I are guessing "superpowers". :)

I think everything is resolved. The car was moved over to "delivered" today about an hour after my post above and now the app is working and the window sticker is shipped out and there's a tracking number. And then hopefully the paperwork really does get mailed in about 2-3 weeks for the permanent plates.

Now I'm going to try to talk my mother into posting a photo of her and her new Model 3 named "Mick" in the "Members' Delivery Photos Thread (no chatter)" thread.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
[…]And then for the license plates there's a sticker for the window that was sent to the wrong address that doesn't actually seem to be temporary plates but Tesla says it will suffice until the delivery documentation is complete and sent for permanent license plates. So that is en-route to my mother and that theoretically will make her street legal - I've never heard of a small window sticker on the front windshield working as temporary plates, but Tesla says it will work so we'll go with that.[…]
Sounds like a California solution (at this point in time, we basically get stickers in our windshield to indicate registration until we get (permanent) plates).

I'm glad things moved on this. I'm sorry it was such a hassle.