My Model 3: HEAV3N

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I decided that hand washing is the way to go, but takes too long. Part of the reason for that was the garden hose, it leaves a lot of dirt and other things that stick (looking your way birds) so I went the route of a pressure washer for the first rinse, foaming and then last rinse (after a bit of hand washing while the car is foamed up).

Got myself a Sun Joe SPX3000, electric pressure washer. It arrived Friday from amazon, I opened the box and it was a used one. Partially put together, bags for pieces were cut open and pieces were everywhere in the box. Damn it amazon! Back that one went and the new one arrived yesterday! (Actually new this time).
Today it got warmer, and even though it looks like rain Friday, damn the clouds man! Damn them (and still damn it amazon!). I must try my pressure washer!

I also purchased a foam cannon, and bought an attachment set at Lowe’s that offered quick detach for everything. Not sure I captured all the items in pictures here so ask anything you want and I can respond.
2d3b98a2-3542-4cee-91f1-1f57e55ff996-jpeg.7212

Long electrical cord reached my outlet with ease. I found that placing the pressure washer at the front of the car worked well. Best range of motion came from putting it at the front to the side I was cleaning. I could get all the way to the back with the wand. It’s all electric so it shuts off when the trigger is released. Drawbacks I’d say are minimal with the “worst” of them being when the hose kinked it started to unscrew itself from the pressure washer. One use in though, big thumbs up.
25539f5f-c522-48e1-ad26-89ced8122754-jpeg.7213

The foam cannon is nothing unique, I’m sure there are cheaper ones (and more expensive ones) so I just stuck with Sun Joe.
The attachment set I bought had the female M22 to 1/4 quick connect male that’s attached to the foam cannon. In the first pic, the blue at the end of the nozzle is the male M22 and female 1/4 quick disconnect. This saves me from having to unscrew the nozzle pipe (seen just above the foam cannon) and then having to screw the foam cannon in, then reversing that to rinse. No thanks! Quick disconnect for the win! The kit also came with an angled piece I end up using as it just seems to work perfect for a car wash! Don’t have to hold the entire gun above the car to get the angle I need. The 40 degree nozzle is all I used though the pressure washer came with 4 various angled nozzles and 1 soap nozzle (if anyone might be interested in the pressure washer but don’t want the foam cannon). The kit also had a very long extension pipe so that will come in handy when I want to clean my house (also seen in ththe 2nd pic but it’s long and going off both sides).

I’m sure I’m forgetting something but I’m going to post this now and maybe edit or follow up.
Thanks for your time! Feel free to ask me about this stuff or give me pointers on my flawed approach!!! ;)

Edit: grammar/typos/boredom

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I took the city streets past the SC to the highway on my way to work today. Oddly, it was .6 miles longer which is just weird because it’s the exact same roads (11.1 yesterday on the way home to 11.7 today). It’s 57, feels like 54, wind of 13mph, no HVAC running, yes to music. Left the house at 77% and arrived at 74%, 204 Wh/mi.
6bfff501-f72b-46d7-a843-703c729a3f45-jpeg.7232

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I decided that hand washing is the way to go, but takes too long. Part of the reason for that was the garden hose, it leaves a lot of dirt and other things that stick (looking your way birds) so I went the route of a pressure washer for the first rinse, foaming and then last rinse (after a bit of hand washing while the car is foamed up).

Got myself a Sun Joe SPX3000, electric pressure washer. It arrived Friday from amazon, I opened the box and it was a used one. Partially put together, bags for pieces were cut open and pieces were everywhere in the box. Damn it amazon! Back that one went and the new one arrived yesterday! (Actually new this time).
Today it got warmer, and even though it looks like rain Friday, damn the clouds man! Damn them (and still damn it amazon!). I must try my pressure washer!

I also purchased a foam cannon, and bought an attachment set at Lowe’s that offered quick detach for everything. Not sure I captured all the items in pictures here so ask anything you want and I can respond.
View attachment 7212
Long electrical cord reached my outlet with ease. I found that placing the pressure washer at the front of the car worked well. Best range of motion came from putting it at the front to the side I was cleaning. I could get all the way to the back with the wand. It’s all electric so it shuts off when the trigger is released. Drawbacks I’d say are minimal with the “worst” of them being when the hose kinked it started to unscrew itself from the pressure washer. One use in though, big thumbs up.
View attachment 7213
The foam cannon is nothing unique, I’m sure there are cheaper ones (and more expensive ones) so I just stuck with Sun Joe.
The attachment set I bought had the female M22 to 1/4 quick connect male that’s attached to the foam cannon. In the first pic, the blue at the end of the nozzle is the male M22 and female 1/4 quick disconnect. This saves me from having to unscrew the nozzle pipe (seen just above the foam cannon) and then having to screw the foam cannon in, then reversing that to rinse. No thanks! Quick disconnect for the win! The kit also came with an angled piece I end up using as it just seems to work perfect for a car wash! Don’t have to hold the entire gun above the car to get the angle I need. The 40 degree nozzle is all I used though the pressure washer came with 4 various angled nozzles and 1 soap nozzle (if anyone might be interested in the pressure washer but don’t want the foam cannon). The kit also had a very long extension pipe so that will come in handy when I want to clean my house (also seen in ththe 2nd pic but it’s long and going off both sides).

I’m sure I’m forgetting something but I’m going to post this now and maybe edit or follow up.
Thanks for your time! Feel free to ask me about this stuff or give me pointers on my flawed approach!!! ;)

Edit: grammar/typos/boredom
Wow! I am now thinking of getting a pressure washer like yours also! Do I really need a foam cannon? or does the pressure washer also do foaming? What are the two containers sitting at top of the pressure washer for? soap and something else? Thanks!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wow! I am now thinking of getting a pressure washer like yours also! Do I really need a foam cannon? or does the pressure washer also do foaming? What are the two containers sitting at top of the pressure washer for? soap and something else? Thanks!
So far I've just used it just the one time yesterday but would rate it 5* based off of that... and I found out it also magically caused it to rain yesterday so that's an added, unwritten feature it seems to posses! (10% chance, the weathermen said... in the morning they said...). Yes, my freshly washed car got rained on. :mad:

You got it right! The two containers are for soap/cleaning product. The round green knob there above them rotates, the middle/straight up setting being only water from the nozzle. The further left/right you turn the knob, the more of the product you have in the containers it will use. I did watch quite a few youtube videos on the pressure washer and on the foam cannon before deciding on it, but I'd wager that the foam cannon isn't a necessity. I'm at work but when I get home I'll try and find some videos where they use the soap nozzle and the containers that come with the pressure washer. I'm pretty sure I watched some but am drawing a blank on their results... I think it fine, just not as foamy/sudsy, and the car ended up just not as covered. I'll report back.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So far I've just used it just the one time yesterday but would rate it 5* based off of that... and I found out it also magically caused it to rain yesterday so that's an added, unwritten feature it seems to posses! (10% chance, the weathermen said... in the morning they said...). Yes, my freshly washed car got rained on. :mad:

You got it right! The two containers are for soap/cleaning product. The round green knob there above them rotates, the middle/straight up setting being only water from the nozzle. The further left/right you turn the knob, the more of the product you have in the containers it will use. I did watch quite a few youtube videos on the pressure washer and on the foam cannon before deciding on it, but I'd wager that the foam cannon isn't a necessity. I'm at work but when I get home I'll try and find some videos where they use the soap nozzle and the containers that come with the pressure washer. I'm pretty sure I watched some but am drawing a blank on their results... I think it fine, just not as foamy/sudsy, and the car ended up just not as covered. I'll report back.
Thank you! I was just thinking of not getting too many contraptions with the pressure washer if I don't have to...you know, keep it simple. Looking forward to more info from you. ;)

Also, in Texas if they say 10% chance of rain, then it will rain...if they say 20% or 30%, it won't rain...go figure! :rolleyes: I typically won't have my car washed unless I see 0% and sunny for at least 3 days...:D

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Quicksilver This is about the only video I could find (though I must admit I didn’t look super long and I also end up watching the videos because I get sidetracked! Youtube is like a rabbit hole that way. But this one does show someone using just the included soap nozzle and dispenser containers. I admit I didn’t watch videos like this prior to purchasing the foam cannon, there was just soooooo many videos of people washing their cars with the foam cannons it made me want one of them as much as I wanted the pressure washer. I felt personally like it was the right thing for me, what I wanted to wash my wife’s and my cars. Obviously just my 100% personal opinion but I’m really not impressed by the amount of foam/suds in that video.

On the other hand, at 10:20ish of this video... ...you can see another example of foamy goodness blanketing the car.

Other than the pressure washer, I had some other things already purchased and ready to go. I posted a pic of them in @LUXMAN thread about car washing (which is another great thread to visit, I recommend checking it out). The soap I already had worked perfect with the foam cannon despite some online sources saying “DONT DO THAT ITS NOT MADE 4 THAT!!1111!”
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/washing-my-model-3.6315/#post-84099

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Quicksilver This is about the only video I could find (though I must admit I didn’t look super long and I also end up watching the videos because I get sidetracked! Youtube is like a rabbit hole that way. But this one does show someone using just the included soap nozzle and dispenser containers. I admit I didn’t watch videos like this prior to purchasing the foam cannon, there was just soooooo many videos of people washing their cars with the foam cannons it made me want one of them as much as I wanted the pressure washer. I felt personally like it was the right thing for me, what I wanted to wash my wife’s and my cars. Obviously just my 100% personal opinion but I’m really not impressed by the amount of foam/suds in that video.

On the other hand, at 10:20ish of this video... ...you can see another example of foamy goodness blanketing the car.

Other than the pressure washer, I had some other things already purchased and ready to go. I posted a pic of them in @LUXMAN thread about car washing (which is another great thread to visit, I recommend checking it out). The soap I already had worked perfect with the foam cannon despite some online sources saying “DONT DO THAT ITS NOT MADE 4 THAT!!1111!”
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/washing-my-model-3.6315/#post-84099
What great info @Lovesword ! Thank you!! Also been looking at Luxman's info too...including his tint job here locally. Take care!

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
That's awesome. We're in Nissan Leaf efficiency territory. In my Leaf, I'll get 3.3 miles/kWh (300 Wh/mile) when I'm driving highway speeds (70-75 mph) and generally not worrying about efficiency. I can get 4.3 miles/kWh (230 Wh/mile) when taking it easy (55 mph).
Wow, I have a 50 mile round trip commute and have it pretty much pegged at 4.7 mile/kWh, so 212 Wh/mile.
Can't wait to see what the Model 3 brings in :)

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That looks really nice - did you put PPF on there or wax etc yet?
I've ordered black for some reason which is now beyond me :)
No protective coat or wax, nothing but a good wash. Used an iPhone filter on a few of those pics because it made it pop in my opinion. :)
Don’t beat yourself up! My wife’s Model S is black and there is NOTHING better than a black car...when it’s clean!! ;)

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I charged last Thursday night in preparation for my trip to visit school and maybe had a relatively light week of driving or something but nothing seemed out of the norm. Trips to work and home and about town, the weather has warmed so that seems to be a huge factor. In fact, I didn’t need the heat but did use the A/C a couple of times. So a weeks gone by and I pulled in the garage yesterday done for the night at 26% SOC left before plugging in, from the 90% I started with a whole week ago! I thought that this wasn’t bad considering that I’m not driving all crazy slow (or fast...well, maybe occasionally fast!). :)
ce45d48a-734a-44b1-9523-ce8248d4e4ac-jpeg.8212

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I charged last Thursday night in preparation for my trip to visit school and maybe had a relatively light week of driving or something but nothing seemed out of the norm. Trips to work and home and about town, the weather has warmed so that seems to be a huge factor. In fact, I didn’t need the heat but did use the A/C a couple of times. So a weeks gone by and I pulled in the garage yesterday done for the night at 26% SOC left before plugging in, from the 90% I started with a whole week ago! I thought that this wasn’t bad considering that I’m not driving all crazy slow (or fast...well, maybe occasionally fast!). :)
View attachment 8212
@Lovesword, your school link has odd letters at the beginning and a stray character at the end. Let's see if mine works.

Great story, BTW!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Lovesword, your school link has odd letters at the beginning and a stray character at the end. Let's see if mine works.

Great story, BTW!
Thank you @Dr. J! Appreciate the kind words.

I’ll fix that link tomorrow for sure. EDIT: fixed! It kept adding an extra http:// at the beginning and an extra ‘ at the end. Not sure why, or why deleting them wasn’t working (they came right back when I saved complete and then still got the error). So I just rewrote the link and that did it. Thanks again for letting me know!

Oh, and 18.3 was what I ended up with :)

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Had an eventful Friday yesterday. I had a ranger out to try and locate/eradicate a vibration noise coming from the driver’s side rear door. The ranger, James, was super cool. We ended up talking a lot about Tesla in general. I’m pretty sure he could have been done way quicker but I kept talking to him! I was gonna take my car to a rough road so the noise was more pronounced but I didn’t even get about a block away and he’d discovered the issue. The door panel had been installed improperly and had a clip missing. He easily took care of it and also knocked out a couple service bulletins while he was here.
- front stabilizer bar links replaced
- ensure HV battery breathers installed
I couldn’t have been more impressed and satisfied with my ranger visit! It was an enjoyable time, which is very odd to say about getting work done on your car!!!

Then I drove up to get some food from the store and parked like this!
d81cf514-782c-434c-b3cf-7d093d9187ed-jpeg.10281

Don’t worry, I wasn’t charging. All 6 other stalls open too. (I mind my SC etiquette ;) )

So I went inside and got my things and headed out. I didn’t even notice when I parked but noticed when I was about to leave, they’ve done something (paint, dipped) to their aeros to make them silver! Pretty cool!
f2beef98-d46b-4fe6-9bfd-9a3b266d48d5-jpeg.10282

So I left and was a minute or so into my drive home when I remembered I went to the store to get a Father’s Day card! Arrrgh!!! I also started feeling like “I’ve never talked in person with another Model 3 owner, that would be cool” ...so I circled back to the store. I was kind of excited to possibly talk with a fellow 3 owner, but when I got back, even though it was probably just 5 minutes since I’d left, they were gone!!!! :(
Another day perhaps...

If you are on here, silver Model 3 owner with silver aeros, hello! Hope you don’t mind the pics I snapped! :)

In the afternoon/early evening. I decided to use the gift card I got from my school visit and my wife and I went to the restaurant it’s from. I was excited to be able to park next to these two!
496863b0-2a13-4d24-a469-211813022111-jpeg.10283

I’m not much of a “car guy” but I recognized the Lotus Elise almost immediately, the car the Tesla Roadster is (somewhat) based on. In fact, when I first caught a glimpse of it, I’d almost thought it was a Roadster! But while talking to the ranger today, I learned there’s only 1 in all of Iowa and it’s lime green!

An eventful Friday indeed! Bring on the weekend!!

(Edits: grammar/spelling/that sentence makes no sense)

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
He easily took care of it and also knocked out a couple service bulletins while he was here.
- front stabilizer bar links replaced
- ensure HV battery breathers installed

Ok...so what are these things? Should my local SC also replace the bar and breathers exist? Interesting.

Thanks!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Ok...so what are these things? Should my local SC also replace the bar and breathers exist? Interesting.

Thanks!
I would imagine that these aren’t worth trips to have them do these and can wait for when you’re in for something else. My ranger even said it would take half hour and asked if that was ok. If it wasn’t, Tesla would have just done it when I went in for any service. Sounds like Tesla is way ahead of the game on these parts - probably had a few fail or not pass QA and went overboard and decided to replace them all. And it could likely only affect specific VINs. Mine is 47xx so there’s that.
More, I did a google search and found these are actually being called “parts upgrades” over on the Tesla forum (lol).

Ok, all my speculation out of the way, here is what I can say I know about yesterday’s service.

The front stabilizer bar link required the ranger to lift the car, remove the front wheel to gain access to the part and replace it. He made it look easy, doing both sides quickly (well, as quickly as he could with me bugging him!)

The HV battery breathers was a little more vague to me. He was under the car near the rear tire (car not raised) and I think he removed a panel of some kind to look in there. I’m sure mine passed as he just closed it back up. Not sure if it didn’t what would have happened. I’d guess an appointment to go in so they could put the car on a lift. Or maybe he installed something so small I just missed it!? /shrug

Both seemed very minor. Nothing worth any stress in my opinion. But definitely ask about any “service bulletins” if you have other service to do. And heck, call them if you want to, they’re great to work with.