My Model 3: HEAV3N

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my car back Thursday around noon. I came home from work to sign for and get it in my garage but had to head back to work for meetings I couldn’t miss. When I got off work I went to get gas in the rental and then drop it off. They (Enterprise) drove me home.

Ill try to keep this to a short post but I did want to update it. (And I tend to ramble) Here were my findings:
- the dent is gone, looks like beautiful work was done! If I knew what body shop was used by Westmont I would sing their praises. Absolutely perfect looking, like there was never a dent.
- same for the chipped paint on the front lower bumper area. Can’t even tell there was a spot that looked like something scrapped the paint off there before
- Westmont shipped the car back via Ohare trucking in a completely enclosed trailer. That was awesome. They cleaned it and detailed it prior to shipping it my way too so it came out of the truck looking like delivery day part 2.
This was above and beyond if you ask me. Stellar on all levels.
- the noise is gone! The minor annoying ticking from my center console (posted a YouTube of it earlier in this thread) has been defeated! Chris at Westmont said something had come loose, so they tightened and insulated that area of the console. I’m so hype about this because little noises like that are a button of mine. (Thanks mom!!!)

Now for the small things that I think kind of bother me but I’m just gonna post it here then move on in life.
- 48 miles put on my car. Maybe too/from the body shop ...but that kinda irks me. Seems to be a bit much.
- 1 day shy of two weeks without my car, I’ve already touched on this and Westmont has been great about owning it and working with me.
- the hood and passenger side C pillar are not even touched. In my initial email to them I’d asked about them, if there was a way they could be looked at. I was told on the phone they did do something and they now believe the cars “lines look better” (exact wording). I guess they didn’t realize I know what my own car looked like prior to sending it their way and how it looks the same now. This is fine, really, but just another one of those things. Did you do anything? No? That’s fine, but don’t freaking lie about it. Not sure what the point of that is, it’s not like I wouldn’t notice.
- last thing, after service where they disable your remote acces, you turn it back on via the SAFETY & SECURITY tab on your screen, then the GEAR icon, then “allow mobile access.” They didn’t do this for me and I called them twice with no answer (what’s new?) so I called Fremont and me and a gentleman named Nate figured it out together.

Now for some pics.
Dent before:
fb0fd011-375a-4f89-a556-de7bb01e16c4-jpeg.6209
2670e41f-a9da-4833-acd5-5d43072ed992-jpeg.6211

After, no dent, great work by the body shop:
694b5c77-bb30-46bb-aad3-328b41b1c841-jpeg.6210
0d549525-4126-453c-a88a-a634510b679e-jpeg.6212

I don’t seem to have a good pic of the hood that shows it sitting a bit high towards the front and a bit low as it goes up towards the windshield, oh well, I’m gonna just live with it. But I will post this before/after of the C pillar they claim they aligned better.
Before:
8fcc21a6-44b6-4904-a880-9c96ab098bd3-jpeg.6213

And after:
dfc02a43-4164-4341-9fc4-8e5138d98c26-jpeg.6214

Again, I’ll live with it. Just don’t understand they lying.

Anyway, I’m done for now. I have my car back which makes me happy. It looks great. They did a great job. There were positives and negatives as you’ve read, and I don’t get the lying at all but whatever. I’m gonna go drive my car!!

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Lovesword, I'm glad you got your car back and are able to enjoy it again--that's a big positive! As for the panels, that's frustrating. I would tend not to attribute to malice (lying) what can be explained by incompetence (they did something and convinced themselves it was an improvement).

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think my garage is complete (...for now, lol). I followed the path that @2170pwr took and bought a CMC on eBay (found brand new, in box, complete with the bag for a great deal). I'm loving it! It sits flush against the wall and still provides the 40A that I was getting from borrowing my wife's UMC. It's really a win/win too because now my wife and I both have our respective UMC's in our cars which is something I wanted for my own peace of mind. I just really want both of us to always have our charging cables with us in case anything were to ever happen and we'd find ourselves needing them... maybe overkill but eh... that's me.
Plus, as others have mentioned in another thread, I don't want to be plugging/unplugging our 240 all the time. Even if mine is some super sturdy brand that can take it, I prefer to just have the CMC plugged in, hanging there at the ready. I'll post a pic when I get home!

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Vinyl sticker set! I picked them up on Amazon but they aren’t available right now for some reason. :(

Here is the other, larger sticker from the set at the head of the garage!
View attachment 6272

Edit: seller RoboGoods seems to have some listed. Some don’t have very good reviews though.
https://www.amazon.com/RoboGoods/b/...8473011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=RoboGoods
Probably pulled due to copywrite violations. Does the cord hanger come with the charger when you take possession of the car?

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Probably pulled due to copywrite violations. Does the cord hanger come with the charger when you take possession of the car?
Agreed. @Lovesword beat me to the reply.

As with the Lug caps, catching it in stock can be tricky. Currently their site shows 4 week to delivery but at $25, it's not a huge investment.

Of course, you can always make your own if you have access to a 3D printer...
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/my-3d-printed-wall-charger-holder.6129/

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed. @Lovesword beat me to the reply.

As with the Lug caps, catching it in stock can be tricky. Currently their site shows 4 week to delivery but at $25, it's not a huge investment.

Of course, you can always make your own if you have access to a 3D printer...
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/my-3d-printed-wall-charger-holder.6129/
I ordered the lug/center caps from the Tesla Store on 3/1; 4 days before I configured. My card was charged instantly but still no product in my mailbox. “Tesla Time” knows no bounds within that company.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My spot at work. A benefit of starting at 5am. Only two spots here and I park to side leaving a ton of room for the other space! This was taken when I was leaving so the other spot was empty, but usually it’s someone else wanting to defend their car that takes the spot! :)
e2818979-84d8-4837-9828-43891f0909c0-jpeg.6529

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ran into a nice family at the Supercharger the other day. They had just picked up their beautiful Model S and were charging it on their way home. It just happened that my Model 3 was the first one they'd seen, so they were really excited to see it as they not only got the Model S, but are also reservation holders!

It got me thinking that at least in my area (and probably others on here around the country) a lot of people haven't seen the Model 3 yet. So if anyone is in my area or is going to be, please feel free to contact me here and maybe we can make a meet up happen. I'll stop short of offering to let anyone drive it (I'm hoping everyone can understand that) but I would be more than happy to meet up with someone if time allows and show off my current/your future(?) ride!

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having read some stories/posts about amazingly low Wh/mi usage, it got me thinking about posting this to see if my usage is normal (I suspect that it is) and possibly also help inform others who have similar questions after reading some posts by efficient drivers.

Details:
Today on my way to work, outside temp 40, feels like 35 with a wind of 7mph. I had the heater at 69 on a fan speed of 1. I was streaming Slacker as well.
I charged last night, finishing at 90% around 9pm. Left the house today at 4:30am at 89% (Edit to add: I did precondition with the app)

I have a 14ish mile trip in to work, mostly highway where I cruise/EAP at 70mph, I had to gun it on the on ramp this morning as traffic dictated. I also have one transition to another highway that’s a loop so had to slow down to 35ish and then get back up to speed. Didn’t have to gun it that time. Here are two images from when I parked. 14.5 miles of driving, 4 kWh used, 289 Wh/mi. I used 5% of the battery, 84% remaining from 89%.

a56346c7-da47-487f-931b-02c8251e91ee-jpeg.7194
88755b88-9cf1-4ad8-aa52-16dbc8011db3-jpeg.7195

In general I think it’s fine, but seeing some posts showing under 200 Wh/mi got me wondering so decided to post. Thoughts? Feedback? Thanks for the read!

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having read some stories/posts about amazingly low Wh/mi usage, it got me thinking about posting this to see if my usage is normal (I suspect that it is) and possibly also help inform others who have similar questions after reading some posts by efficient drivers.

Details:
Today on my way to work, outside temp 40, feels like 35 with a wind of 7mph. I had the heater at 69 on a fan speed of 1. I was streaming Slacker as well.
I charged last night, finishing at 90% around 9pm. Left the house today at 4:30am at 89% (Edit to add: I did precondition with the app)

I have a 14ish mile trip in to work, mostly highway where I cruise/EAP at 70mph, I had to gun it on the on ramp this morning as traffic dictated. I also have one transition to another highway that’s a loop so had to slow down to 35ish and then get back up to speed. Didn’t have to gun it that time. Here are two images from when I parked. 14.5 miles of driving, 4 kWh used, 289 Wh/mi. I used 5% of the battery, 84% remaining from 89%.

View attachment 7194 View attachment 7195

In general I think it’s fine, but seeing some posts showing under 200 Wh/mi got me wondering so decided to post. Thoughts? Feedback? Thanks for the read!
I have a 30 mile commute with the average speed of 55 mph and some 65/70. I see about 260-280 average. But if I take it easy I can get it in the 250 range.

I decided to see what the highway rate was so I reset the trip meter when at speed. Doing 65, I was seeing about 215, yes 215 kWh/mi for about the last 8 mile of the trip on the highway. But I did not have heat but of course the radio was thumpin

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's awesome. We're in Nissan Leaf efficiency territory. In my Leaf, I'll get 3.3 miles/kWh (300 Wh/mile) when I'm driving highway speeds (70-75 mph) and generally not worrying about efficiency. I can get 4.3 miles/kWh (230 Wh/mile) when taking it easy (55 mph).

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's awesome. We're in Nissan Leaf efficiency territory. In my Leaf, I'll get 3.3 miles/kWh (300 Wh/mile) when I'm driving highway speeds (70-75 mph) and generally not worrying about efficiency. I can get 4.3 miles/kWh (230 Wh/mile) when taking it easy (55 mph).
Yup. My Leaf gives 3.9 miles/kWh in mixed driving over the long run. The Model 3 seems to give essentially the same. extreme conditions aside.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having read some stories/posts about amazingly low Wh/mi usage, it got me thinking about posting this to see if my usage is normal...
Today on my way to work, outside temp 40, feels like 35 with a wind of 7mph...
...14.5 miles of driving, 4 kWh used, 289 Wh/mi
In general I think it’s fine, but seeing some posts showing under 200 Wh/mi got me wondering so decided to post. Thoughts?
Wait for the temperature to rise 20 degrees -- you'll be below 240 without lifting a finger. Add to that enough highway congestion to lower your average speed to 40-45, and you'll find yourself pushing 200. (I believe the screenshot with 189 was from someone in the Bay Area, so I imagine moderate temperatures and low average speed played a big role in hitting that number.)

For reference, my 2015 e-Golf is rated at ~3.9 mi/kWh (256 Wh/mi), and my daily commute is about 25 miles round-trip, with 15 miles on a state highway at 40-50 mph (with occasional traffic lights), 3 miles on an interstate highway at 55-65mph, and 7 miles on local roads at 25-35mph. I set the cabin temp to 64-67 in colder months, and 72-74 in warmer months, and it's worth noting that the car has a heat pump in addition to resistive heat. Car is equipped with the stock Bridgestone Ecopia LRR tires, and I typically drive in "Eco" mode (unless someone pisses me off, in which case I unleash "Normal" mode ;)... which goes 0-60 in a blazing 9.1 seconds... :cool:).

Based on 2.5 years with this setup, I'd estimate my average consumption at various temperatures to be:

< 10 degrees = 2.9 mi/kWh (345 Wh/mi)
10-20 degrees = 3.0 mi/kWh (333 Wh/mi)
20-30 degrees = 3.2 mi/kWh (313 Wh/mi)
30-40 degrees = 3.6 mi/kWh (277 Wh/mi)
40-50 degrees = 4.3 mi/kWh (233 Wh/mi) <-- Heat pump seems to make a difference here vs. my old Volt
50-60 degrees = 4.8 mi/kWh (208 Wh/mi) <-- Heat pump FTW!
60-70 degrees = 5.2 mi/kWh (192 Wh/mi) <-- Sweet spot! No heat, no A/C
70-80 degrees = 5.1 mi/kWh (196 Wh/mi) <-- A/C runs occasionally
80-90 degrees = 5.0 mi/kWh (200 Wh/mi) <-- A/C running constantly
> 90 degrees = 4.8 mi/kWh (208 Wh/mi) <-- Heavy A/C, usually significant humidity

Obviously, there's a lot of variance within those ranges from one individual drive to the next, but in terms of averages, I'd say those numbers are about accurate.

Anyway, my gut feeling is that ambient temperature is going to make a significant difference in your case, so I'll be curious to see how your consumption improves over the coming weeks. Keep us posted!

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How detailed and informative is this post from @Bokonon!? That’s amazing. Thank you so much for your insight and taking the time to write that. Very helpful. :)

On my way home from work I decided to pass the SC as I typically do. Don’t ask why...something about wanting to see my Tesla brothers and sisters and wanting to be seen by them. I’m sure you all get it ;)
Anyway, that means one earlier highway exit, driving the rest of the way in town and, as I found out, 3.3 less miles of distance! It takes longer due to traffic lights (which is why I opt for the highway in the morning) so it’s a trade off. For details this time, the temp rose to 68 so no heater on during my ride home. I lost 1% down to 83% while I worked my 10 hour shift. I played music as always, and had the window down/city, cracked/highway. And true to bokonon’s post, the numbers speak for themselves. I don’t baby the car and I don’t gun it (not all the time anyway!)
65fee435-6717-48c3-a353-201ded4a1196-jpeg.7209

So my drive home took just 3% battery and I got 220 Wh/mi! Pretty hype about nicer weather arriving just because of itself, but wow this driving effeciency bonus will be a nice icing on the cake!

More to come... I made a purchase for our Teslas but need to shower first.

Edit: typos

Last edited: