My Model 3: HEAV3N

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Two quick things. One, for anyone that installed charging infrastructure at your home in 2017, worth a read here, tax credit of some sort I’ll need to get details from my awesome tax man!
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...-youre-eligible-now-for-30-tax-credit.108382/
Probably posted elsewhere, but worth repeating.

Two, with no official Tesla all season floor mats, I found these on Amazon.
I really only picked these up though because Amazon gave me $70 just to get their credit card, which is something I’ve been meaning to do anyway. So for $15, these will do until Tesla has theirs available.
Just got the floor mats. These I wanted as placeholders for when Tesla makes their own. I had all season mats in my Kia and found them indispensable. They’re a must for me in this climate (Midwest). I thought I’d share some pics in case anyone was interested.

Good quality, seems pretty heavy duty. They appear to be waterjet to me from the looks of pic 2. Good waterjets can hold +/-.005” (for reference, an average human hair is about .004”). I’ll post some fit/finish/installed pics in a bit.
448B6794-5CE4-4465-B313-3CDE02D3233D.jpeg B186B1DF-AFD2-4E5E-BE9A-91AC5804AFDB.jpeg 350A051E-8581-4DBE-A19E-192E466B9DA6.jpeg 77A6B827-2575-4B32-B64F-9603A6A8DBA1.jpeg F23C2237-82F3-4A69-B8BD-3E55E79C071C.jpeg

Edit: they came rolled up in a box in case you’re wondering why the warping.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, so I didn’t need those clip things at all (or am just not going to use them). They’re lined with SPIKES on the bottom. Ok, spikes is probably the wrong word but SPIKES!!! Here’s a few pics installed. They still need to settle from being shipped rolled up but they look like they’ll do the trick. I find myself saying “I’m glad these were $15” (I got $70 off for applying for an Amazon VISA). I hate to say it but I feel the $85 is a bit steep. I feel they’re really good for $50ish, they’re certainly heavy duty and will work, but I feel $85 is the company being a little high on price due to not much choice available for Model 3. It’s just rubber with hex shapes cut (waterjet?) to dimensions. No offense if the seller is a member here, just my honest quick take.
2A574D43-1C23-4F51-80F6-F937B5717383.jpeg 4EF0432E-9732-4FE2-B4F5-DD40E8FE04C1.jpeg 2226CCF2-787E-4001-88E3-07D7E73D4436.jpeg
SPIKES!!!^^^^^
16BF8767-DE73-4F6D-8E27-88FE1145D26A.jpeg 84613E01-B13C-4392-95DC-585A2E17673F.jpeg E3DAA995-06D1-4228-AB6B-8FABB0BA4C87.jpeg AB95EBEC-ACDC-4A2B-ACB0-53D925B70B40.jpeg

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Totally understand where you are coming from and share your sentiments! One thing I think we can all say about the car is it drives great. Literally the car part of it is amazing. Many of the issues we've seen were little rattles and squeaks, panel gaps, or software issues. But when everything works, it's a dream.

Funny thing too about some squeaks and rattles- we just got the car back from service and were headed to dinner when I noticed significant wind noise from the back windshield area. I was like "oh crud, that's new. Increased wind noise... hmm... did they screw something up when they fixed my trunk panel gap?" 10 minutes later we figured out that our passenger just didn't close the back window fully.

I swear this car is usually so quiet that I sometimes freak out about noises that come from outside the car! :rolleyes:
Here is my console noise!!!

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe it's the recording device (phone??) but you can really hear the road there. And it seems quite bumpy. I hope it's not as uncomfortable as it sounds, rattling noise or not.

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the photos of the mats and your thoughts on them. After reading your report and your photos (you rock by the way) I think I'll wait for WeatherTech - in the meantime I'm just using the factory mats and they are dealing with Colorado winter dirt ok so far.

I don't think I have film on my screen but I'll have to check tomorrow.

For the noises at night, as a former Prius owner, I'm used to my car making weird noises so I wasn't at all alarmed at the fact that mine sounds a bit like a quiet hairdryer too. I just shrugged and walked away. In hindsight maybe I should have been concerned. :) But yeah mine is a bit noisy too - not enough to hear it inside the house but when I walk past it I can hear it doing whatever it's doing.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe it's the recording device (phone??) but you can really hear the road there. And it seems quite bumpy. I hope it's not as uncomfortable as it sounds, rattling noise or not.
Yeah, that's just me holding my iPhone 7+ in one hand, driving with the other. It might sound and look rough, but at least the "look" part is because I wasn't watching where I was pointing the phone, I was being a good driver! The road noise, I can say that I really don't notice it. That road in particular is far from the best, needs to be redone... and I drove over a small bridge, you can even hear when that happened. I think this (sounds - what you hear from outside the car) might be another "personal preference" thing like ride quality, and also I'm coming from a 2012 Optima where I heard and felt a GREAT many things, so I've been overjoyed with how little I hear/feel.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the photos of the mats and your thoughts on them. After reading your report and your photos (you rock by the way) I think I'll wait for WeatherTech - in the meantime I'm just using the factory mats and they are dealing with Colorado winter dirt ok so far.

I don't think I have film on my screen but I'll have to check tomorrow.

For the noises at night, as a former Prius owner, I'm used to my car making weird noises so I wasn't at all alarmed at the fact that mine sounds a bit like a quiet hairdryer too. I just shrugged and walked away. In hindsight maybe I should have been concerned. :) But yeah mine is a bit noisy too - not enough to hear it inside the house but when I walk past it I can hear it doing whatever it's doing.
This is more positive feedback than I ever get at work! Thank you @PatrickM!

I'm definitely going to go Tesla or WeatherTech when available, those floor liners that go up the sides and even the left "foot rest" is covered, so cool! Does WT make the mats for Tesla? I brought up the two side by side online for the Model S (thinking for my wife's car) and they look identical save for the logo.

Now, back to work. I'll come back and read this throughout the day to feel useful and good at something! ;)

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: I’ll have my car picked up next Friday (2/23) by truck to be taken back to Westmont and then to their body shop for fixes to the minor issues (dent, chip in the paint on front fascia and a few panel alignment issues). I’ll have a rental provided through Enterprise by Tesla (likely back to ICE? Nooooo!!!). My contact seems to think it won’t take too long, “a couple days” is what the email says. That’d be sweet!
They’re also hopefully going to trace and get rid of the noise from the YouTube clip I posted. Fingers crossed!!!

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This is more positive feedback than I ever get at work! Thank you @PatrickM!

I'm definitely going to go Tesla or WeatherTech when available, those floor liners that go up the sides and even the left "foot rest" is covered, so cool! Does WT make the mats for Tesla? I brought up the two side by side online for the Model S (thinking for my wife's car) and they look identical save for the logo.

Now, back to work. I'll come back and read this throughout the day to feel useful and good at something! ;)
@Lovesword,

So I’ve used WeatherTech mats in my vehicles for years and swear by them. It will be the first thing I get for my Model 3 when I finally do take delivery. I just checked their site and they do offer mats for the Tesla Model X and Model S. However, they are not offering them for the Model 3 yet. I’m assuming they need to get their hands on one first to ‘laser measure’ the interior for their mats. That’s how they are tailored and fit so amazingly well in every vehicle they offer for.
I have contacted them for inquiry and will follow up here when I hear back from their Customer Service Sales Dept/Team.

Ski

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Lovesword,

So I’ve used WeatherTech mats in my vehicles for years and swear by them. It will be the first thing I get for my Model 3 when I finally do take delivery. I just checked their site and they do offer mats for the Tesla Model X and Model S. However, they are not offering them for the Model 3 yet. I’m assuming they need to get their hands on one first to ‘laser measure’ the interior for their mats. That’s how they are tailored and fit so amazingly well in every vehicle they offer for.
I have contacted them for inquiry and will follow up here when I hear back from their Customer Service Sales Dept/Team.

Ski
I contacted Weathertech two weeks ago inquiring about Model 3. They got back and your correct they are waiting for one to laser measure. I’m a huge fan of the Floorliners and Trunk Liners. Have had them in many vehicles. Great in the snow up here. As you know they make Tesla's branded Floor/Trunk Liners. Seem to be the same price either way. Given a choice I’ll get the Tesla branded ones ;)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Just took a fellow Model S owner for a ride. We got to where the sunlight was behind us and hitting the screen and I noticed a ton of scratches all over it, like someone cleaned it with scotch brite. I didn’t see this at all in the delivery center. Any chance there’s a protective film that I need to peel off to really get to the screen itself?

Edit: thanks @teslarob, I don’t think there’s a film though, I’ll check again. Just got back inside from the garage. Some of the scratches are actually more like gouges. I can feel them.
View attachment 5664
View attachment 5665

Gonna go check if by any chance this is the protective film.

Edit 2: typo fix
I was talking to the service guys recently and it seems common to overlook the removal of the protective film on the Model 3 screen. Apparently, it is not a good conductive film either and causes a lot of touch glitches and phantom touches also.

Nobody’s sure exactly how Elon will mitigate the injury risk from the shattering screen. Retroactively they could apply a tempered glass screen protector that doesn’t splinter and have future screens that are made with tempered glass

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure why I didn’t think to look before but I noticed this yesterday while driving. I have the dreaded dashboard paperwork marks from papers being left there and the car being in the sun. Not just one but two places.
Since they’re coming Friday to pick it up and fix some other things I just emailed them to add this to the list. Another minor thing, but things I want cleared up for my pricey (to me) purchase.
5E3FAE4A-208B-4903-8B44-D53BF9BDC1EB.jpeg
Passenger side (dots are water drop shawdows)
53B89BD7-DB3B-4F18-9869-4FA97FCEC6FA.jpeg
Drivers side.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Not sure why I didn’t think to look before but I noticed this yesterday while driving. I have the dreaded dashboard paperwork marks from papers being left there and the car being in the sun. Not just one but two places.
Since they’re coming Friday to pick it up and fix some other things I just emailed them to add this to the list. Another minor thing, but things I want cleared up for my pricey (to me) purchase.
View attachment 5803
Passenger side (dots are water drop shawdows)
View attachment 5805
Drivers side.
That's not encouraging. I would definitely use a good UV protectant periodically to prevent future fading. I use 303 myself.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's not encouraging. I would definitely use a good UV protectant periodically to prevent future fading. I use 303 myself.
Ok, so not to scream “false alarm” here, but I went after the markings with some armor all cleaning wipes pretty thuroughly. One pass and I could still see them, two and I felt they were nearly gone but faint, or my eyes were playing tricks on me as I stared right at the place the lines used to be. Third time now and I’ll wait for it to totally dry before I declare success... but looking like that did the trick. Or it could be masked by the armor all. We’ll see.
In any case, Tesla replied to my email with “try cleaning it” (paraphrased) so I did.

EB78FF27-559F-4E42-9013-6F0F49610573.jpeg D35E3984-B274-4E7C-AA5A-1619E8CAD8F7.jpeg

EDIT: Well, so far so good...I’m not seeing the markings anymore. I’ll report back if I do again after some days in natural light (very dark overcast day today). Gonna look into a bottle of 303 as @Brokedoc mentioned.

Last edited:

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am so sad right now.... :(
1B941593-23DE-478E-B42A-FEE704A0031D.jpeg

For information purposes, the gentleman (Carlos)that came for my car was with Tesla, not a hired out company. He was super friendly and knowledgeable. So we walked around the car and I pointed out the things (he already had notes on it all too) and we just talked about them in detail. He chuckled sarcastically when I showed him the dent and said my DS said they missed it. “That’s pretty obvious, that’s bad.” He said. But eh, no big deal, all of the little things (dent included) will be taken care of. In the meantime I was picked up by Enterprise this morning and have a Hyundai Tucson for the duration of the repairs. Carlos said that usually Tesla gives loaners but when they’re busy they do rentals. So, don’t hesitate to ask for a loaner instead of a rental if you’re in the same situation.
I’m not expecting a super quick turnaround but as we talked I got the impression I’d have it back before next weekend. I’m assuming it’ll get up there this afternoon (@2 hour drive) and likely will be next week, like Monday, to get started on the work on it. I’m excited that all these little minor things are gonna get taken care of, and impressed so far by how Tesla has taken care of me. Further judgement obviously to be determined!!! ;)
Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go be sad and mope around. :oops::(