My Maine home delivery experience

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

reallove

Country
Country
Hello!
I want to share how my delivery went in Maine. I will try to keep the post short and I'll have pictures at the end!
First, a few words about my experience working with the ISA. It was pretty bad. My Nevada based ISA was hard to reach and short in emails all the time, to the point where they went MIA before delivery was scheduled. I wish there was a way to send this feedback to Tesla.
After I impatiently waited for a word on delivery for two weeks, I took the matter into my own hands and (as suggested on a reddit thread) I called my delivery/service center. Tesla doesn't have one in the state of Maine, so the closest is in Massachusetts.
The person in MA was extremely helpful and nice: they had the car, it was just awaiting green light from the ISA. In their absence, the MA center said they will arrange home delivery for me!
The delivery was a bit awkward and unlike anything others have experienced at a Tesla center. I live on a very busy two way street and my driveway is narrow, so the delivery truck had to stop half a block away from my house, in the middle of the street.
There was only one person - the driver of the truck - and it was a 3rd party contractor. The driver took the car out of the truck, drove it 30 feet in a nearby random parking lot and asked me to check the car.
The car was extremely dirty. And I don't just mean dust. It looked like it went through some rough rains and dirt. I mentioned this to the driver and he just said "yeah, I loaded it in the truck a few days ago and it was pouring rain". Quickly examining the exterior, as much as I could considering its lack of cleanliness, I found two small penny size dings on the back bumper. The driver took notice of them in the delivery app and wrote them down.
Unfortunately this was how far he was allowed/willing to say. He told me that he is only delivering the car, he doesn't know anything about it besides driving in and out of his truck, and that he can't answer any questions about the car.
After I signed the delivery papers (nothing stood out as problems at a quick inspection) he left and I had to drive the car home. Good thing I already had my registration ready!
Some random findings and things I want to point out...
  • Battery level was about 60% charged
  • I have the default phone charging cables (one for Apple, one for Android). We're only iPhone users here, sadly. Also I had to figure out how to connect the cable by myself (it wasn't hard, there are instructions in the bag, just annoying)
  • The car is still not linked to my Tesla account. I called support and they said it can take up to 72 hours.
  • The delivery checklist from this forum was amazing. Thanks again for putting it up here!
It was a good thing that I've read the manual a few times prior to this delivery. And that I've spent hours reading on forums. Not receiving any formal Model 3 "101" from Tesla, it would have sucked to have everything figured out on the spot.

And now, the fun part...Everything that others have said is true: car drives nice, acceleration is amazing, the technology inside it is cutting edge, and all this wait has been worth it!
I uploaded some pictures and a short video here if you want to see how the delivery and first trip went!
https://honey-bunny.box.com/v/topsy
Happy to answer any questions!

(edit: added another random finding)

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello!
I want to share how my delivery went in Maine. I will try to keep the post short and I'll have pictures at the end!
First, a few words about my experience working with the ISA. It was pretty bad. My Nevada based ISA was hard to reach and short in emails all the time, to the point where they went MIA before delivery was scheduled. I wish there was a way to send this feedback to Tesla.
After I impatiently waited for a word on delivery for two weeks, I took the matter into my own hands and (as suggested on a reddit thread) I called my delivery/service center. Tesla doesn't have one in the state of Maine, so the closest is in Massachusetts.
The person in MA was extremely helpful and nice: they had the car, it was just awaiting green light from the ISA. In their absence, the MA center said they will arrange home delivery for me!
The delivery was a bit awkward and unlike anything others have experienced at a Tesla center. I live on a very busy two way street and my driveway is narrow, so the delivery truck had to stop half a block away from my house, in the middle of the street.
There was only one person - the driver of the truck - and it was a 3rd party contractor. The driver took the car out of the truck, drove it 30 feet in a nearby random parking lot and asked me to check the car.
The car was extremely dirty. And I don't just mean dust. It looked like it went through some rough rains and dirt. I mentioned this to the driver and he just said "yeah, I loaded it in the truck a few days ago and it was pouring rain". Quickly examining the exterior, as much as I could considering its lack of cleanliness, I found two small penny size dings on the back bumper. The driver took notice of them in the delivery app and wrote them down.
Unfortunately this was how far he was allowed/willing to say. He told me that he is only delivering the car, he doesn't know anything about it besides driving in and out of his truck, and that he can't answer any questions about the car.
After I signed the delivery papers (nothing stood out as problems at a quick inspection) he left and I had to drive the car home. Good thing I already had my registration ready!
  • I have the default phone charging cables (one for Apple, one for Android). We're only iPhone users here, sadly. Also I had to figure out how to connect the cable by myself (it wasn't hard, there are instructions in the bag, just annoying)
  • The delivery checklist from this forum was amazing. Thanks again for putting it up here!
It was a good thing that I've read the manual a few times prior to this delivery. And that I've spent hours reading on forums. Not receiving any formal Model 3 "101" from Tesla, it would have sucked to have everything figured out on the spot.

And now, the fun part...Everything that others have said is true: car drives nice, acceleration is amazing, the technology inside it is cutting edge, and all this wait has been worth it!
I uploaded some pictures and a short video here if you want to see how the delivery and first trip went!
Congrats on your new Model 3!! Sorry to hear that the delivery experience was not a great one. Glad you saw the dings on the bumper. You should be getting an e-mail with link to survey about your experience and it will be good to share your thoughts with Tesla. If you didn't read up on the car prior to delivery, I would imagine you would be even more frustrated with the process. Good to see that at least the weather was nice for an outdoor delivery. Enjoy your new car!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@reallove CONGRATS! It's great to hear about your new Tesla. Welcome to the family.

So glad to hear that the checklist helped you. If you have suggestions on improving the list, feel free to let me know.

Sorry, this is the kind of info that ICE dealers love to hear! Elon is too busy, probably, to read this forum. However, QC should be made of this kind of problem (s).

I wish you the best of luck with your car from now on.
I think the home delivery option is a double edged sword. You don't need to drive long distances to pick it up but at the same time, you lose the benefit of a trained DS that can customize things like the charging cable and the basic walk-thru and UI training.

I don't think ICE dealers would be happy about these stories (as suboptimal as it was) because most ICE dealers don't do home deliveries no matter how far away you live!

Robert Pickel

Country
Country
Yea, living in Maine, is sometimes like living "at the end of the line!" That said, Boston in only a couple of hours away. I guess we cannot pick up in Boston, because we'd be liable for Massachusetts sales tax where we take ownership. Since Tesla is not a "car dealer" they don't have the advantage of selling in one state and allowing the owner to register in another state as is often the case with ICEmobiles in these parts.

Regardless, your report, while interesting, is sort of disappointing. I guess Tesla figures that the new owner will be so excited and wetting himself over finally getting the new car, that they won't mind the lack of delivery support. (I don't suppose they don't do this same form of delivery with Model X and S customers?)

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I agree it's not a good experience but what is Tesla supposed to do in this case other than a more responsive ISA? Send a team with the car to make sure it's a good experience? It was just being delivered by a third party. It could have easily left Tesla damage free.

Maybe they could deliver it to a detailer or something but I guess that if you want the full treatment, then you have to go to them.

NRG4All

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Hello!
  • The car is still not linked to my Tesla account. I called support and they said it can take up to 72 hours.

This makes me glad that we decided to drive the 190 miles to the nearest Distribution Center to pick up our M3 this coming Thursday. We plan to drive it in the city and on the freeway for a few hours to catch any major problems while we are still near the DC. I suspect that part of the problem is that the truck driver has no idea the amount of time we all have been waiting and the amount that we have spent on these cars. We are expecting a $50,000 joyful experience but from the driver's perspective he just delivering a car that may only be a $20,000 routine drop off. If he had a clue, he may have gone the extra mile and wiped the car down from the rain after he got it in the truck. But the freight company is not paying him to do that, so perhaps Tesla should look to see if they can find a better carrier.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
This makes me glad that we decided to drive the 190 miles to the nearest Distribution Center to pick up our M3 this coming Thursday. We plan to drive it in the city and on the freeway for a few hours to catch any major problems while we are still near the DC. I suspect that part of the problem is that the truck driver has no idea the amount of time we all have been waiting and the amount that we have spent on these cars. We are expecting a $50,000 joyful experience but from the driver's perspective he just delivering a car that may only be a $20,000 routine drop off. If he had a clue, he may have gone the extra mile and wiped the car down from the rain after he got it in the truck. But the freight company is not paying him to do that, so perhaps Tesla should look to see if they can find a better carrier.
I would never have a transporter wipe down a wet car before delivery. He may as well use sandpaper.

The problem is that we are expecting the transporter to drive hundreds of miles, be at the same level of knowledge as a DS so they can do the orientation and also detail the car at the destination so that it’s “showroom clean”. In many states where Tesla is not allowed to sell directly to customers, having a company employee deliver the car to you may also be a violation depending on how their laws are interpreted.

I think this needs to be a choice by the buyer. A) convenience or B) showroom experience. Tesla is trying to do the best that they can with the restrictions of each state. Although Tesla has won legal battles in many states recently, the short sellers will be quick to point out all of Tesla’s financial pressures. From Fremont expansion, Gigafactory1 expansion, supercharger network expansion, dramatic employee hires to facility Model 3 deliveries and service, solar tile production ramp, Semi and Model Y development, and international expansion....just to name a few.

A quick check on Wikipedia shows the current legal limitations to Tesla sales.
5 states with no allowed service centers or showrooms (MI, AL, NM, SC, LO)
7 more states that ban direct to consumer sales (TX, UT, CT, WV, WI, NE, OK)
8 more states that limit number of stores in the state (CO, NC, VA, NJ, MD, PA, NY, GA)
9 states that Tesla recently (within the past 3-4 years) won legal challenges that remove most sales restrictions.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes

As Tesla wins more legal battles, it will take years to roll out more showrooms with everything entailed such as finding locations, getting permits to build the stores, and hiring people.

I think Tesla is doing the best they can given the situation

TheTony

It happened.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The problem is that we are expecting the transporter to drive hundreds of miles, be at the same level of knowledge as a DS so they can do the orientation and also detail the car at the destination so that it’s “showroom clean”.
Be careful what you wish for. I've heard of detailers at the local service centers who aren't particularly careful. I fully understand that some people might not like the experience, but if you care about your paint, to a large degree, the less people touching it before you get it, the better.

Perhaps they could partner with established local detailers to do the final "spit 'n shine" on them to give people a more positive experience. As far as introducing the car to people, short of support staff, you can't do much about that. However, the ISAs or DSs should ensure there's some type of documentation/walkthroughs that they share with new customers for that. There are the Model 3 support videos, but they may not tell people about those, which seems like a fail on the ISA's part.

Unfortunately, given that there's no support structure in states where the law doesn't allow for it, I don't think people are going to get a better experience, other than staging them in a co-located closed-to-the-public staging area, in nearby state where they do have facilities. However, this would add significant time to delivery which I'm sure people would be upset about. There's really no solution to this that doesn't have a downside, other than to continue pushing for the right to sell directly in those states.

Congratulations on the new car!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello!

Did you have to get a Maine transit plate or did the car come with temporary tags? Did you get all the necessary paperwork to register the car that day?

My Model 3 is supposed to arrive in a few weeks and my DS is new and not very helpful.

reallove

Country
Country
Did you have to get a Maine transit plate or did the car come with temporary tags? Did you get all the necessary paperwork to register the car that day?

My Model 3 is supposed to arrive in a few weeks and my DS is new and not very helpful.
Since the car was home delivered, there was no need for transit plates nor temporary ones. I got my vanity plates at the BMV just before the delivery.
Tesla should send you in the mail all the paperwork you need to get Maine plates at delivery. If you don't get them a couple of days before your scheduled delivery (assuming you'll have yours also home delivered in Maine), give the Dedham service center a call!
And congrats - where do you live? :)

Filteq

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I'm in Maine as well and I'm on the fence about even ordering a M3 due to the lack of service and support in the area. The closest service center is over 2 hours away. Am I being overly concerned? I've read horror stories of people not being able to get parts for months and not being able to have body work completed by anyone local. I can't afford to be without a vehicle for an extended period. Does anyone have feedback regarding this aspect of ownership?

After reading your description of your delivery issues I think I would elect to drive to NY to pick mine up. You can't pick up in MA due to their taxation laws regarding out of state purchasers. It's a PITA, but I'd much rather be sure my car is in good shape at the service center then to leave it up a randomly selected delivery service.

reallove

Country
Country
The problem with parts is irrespective of having a service center close or not. It is a valid concern, but also something that will get better with time.
Regarding our proximity (or lack thereof) to a service center, I don't think that's quite as bad as it looks. I've experienced first hand the following:
* Car needed to be at the service center in Dedham to have the dings and scratches repaired: they sent someone with a loaner, took my car, and returned it to me at home when done.
* For small issues, Tesla has a mobile service unit that comes to your house and does small repairs. Very convenient!
For regular, small things like tire rotation, there is an awesome EV friendly service in Paris ME. The people there are amazing (the owner even has a model 3!) and I'll go there when I need the first rotation.

Filteq

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Wow that's great service. I didn't realize that they would send someone all the way up here. I just looked up that EV service in Paris - looks great! I was wondering who I would go to for tire related issues, etc. I guess the parts problem is what it is. The perils of being an early adopter I suppose.
I'm running out of excuses for staying with my ICE car for another year.

Where are you located? I'm in Freeport.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Since the car was home delivered, there was no need for transit plates nor temporary ones. I got my vanity plates at the BMV just before the delivery.
Tesla should send you in the mail all the paperwork you need to get Maine plates at delivery. If you don't get them a couple of days before your scheduled delivery (assuming you'll have yours also home delivered in Maine), give the Dedham service center a call!
And congrats - where do you live? :)
Thank you! Did you end up doing any coatings or PPF? Do you get your state inspection done at the place in Paris?

reallove

Country
Country
@Filteq indeed, no excuses for you :) I live in Portland.
@BobTheLoveGoat Nope, nothing like that. I'm probably in minority here, I just think that it's not worth the money to do all these things. And yep, Paris Autobarn did my state inspection!

Filteq

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I'm trying to make it til spring to order as I'd rather not take delivery of a brand new car in the salt and sand soaked roads that our winter brings. The problem is that I keep reading these boards and the peer pressure is unparalleled! :)

Are there any Tesla meet-ups of local owners?