Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

My DIY perfect phone mount

34K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  JWardell 
#1 · (Edited)
I always like to drive with Waze running, and I try to mount my phone in a secure location close to my line of sight. I thought and tried a number of mounts for my Model 3 but wasn't satisfied with location, plus they were big and ugly when not in use and disrupted the minimal dash. I really just wanted to mount the phone to the driver's corner of the center display. Well the other night I had a eureka moment and made the perfect mount...out of stuff I already had kicking around!

Very simply, this is a handful of GoPro mounts and a phone holder stuck to the back of the display. It can be flipped around or unclipped when not in use.
It can be mounted in any place and orientation you want. I can flip mine up so it holds my geek display on top instead of the phone to the side for example.
I recommended the Glif for the ultimate sturdy mount, which certainly battery handles rapid acceleration and can't lose grip...but at least my early kickstarter production Glif had an annoying spring noise from inside, so I actually switched to the cheaper phone clip.

So here you are:

1. A phone clip or Glif
2. Parts from any GoPro assortment
3. Attach the two with a 14/20 male tripod mount (hopefully still included in the assortment or the clip, or buy separately)

Rectangle Wood Font Wall Tints and shades

Wood Toy Gas Automotive wheel system Tints and shades

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Automotive navigation system Vehicle Product Mobile phone Gps navigation device

What do you think?

See less See more
1 4
#4 · (Edited)
You can of course position the phone or stick the mount in any place you want! Staying put is just a matter of how tight you screw those GoPro mounts. I use them on my mountain bike with no issues. The Glif's grip is rock solid. (Also, the photos were taken more from chest level, it doesn't block any visibility)

I'm planning on doing something similar.
I've already got an Official waze phone hugger! :D
I'm just going to try bending that and suctioning it to the back of the Model 3's display.

I had no idea there was an official Waze mount! Or is that just some knockoff using their logo? Anyway, yes, it's a pretty simple way to mount the phone in a similar position, though in my experience those gooseneck mounts bounce all over the place.

#6 ·
I like it! But I'm with garsh, a suction cup should work great on the back of the display, but it can get very warm so maybe that would allow it to come loose more easily like they can on a hot day. Might have to give it a try...

#9 ·
Very nice mounting option. I'd planned on doing something like this too. I run Waze and YaV1 (Valentine 1 radar detector app) on a prepaid android throwaway that stays in the car, but I ultimately decided to leave it hooked up in the normal phone area to keep the minimalist aesthetics. It was an adjustment not having it close to my line of sight anymore, but I've pretty much gotten used to glancing down now. I stopped running Waze locally since no 5-0 use lidar here, but I'll still pull it up on road trips. I'm just not able to check it as much as I should since it's so low. That could end up hurting me since the police alerts are still ridiculously late on Waze.

Reactions: JWardell
#11 ·
Can you add a picture that shows the phone from your point of view while driving? I feel like the wheel would block it, but assume not since it wouldn't be too useful that way.
I should have noted before, most of those pictures were taken below eye level. The way I have the phone, it does not block any view of the road. The steering wheel does block a bit of the lower right of the phone. But this is DIY so you can mount it in any place you want, higher, lower, above the display, etc. as well as control where you clip the phone in vertically. I will try to snag a photo this weekend....and hopefully have some time to finish the video as well.

#14 ·
I started with the suction cup concept then changed it up.
(I will be wrapping over with some closely matching vinyl thanks to the folks at Abstract Ocean. It should virtually dissapear)
View attachment 16329
Oh, I like that design. Should be much sturdier.
Can you describe in more detail all of the materials and parts you used for this?

#15 · (Edited)
I can comment that after three months, I have had no sturdiness issues with my mount, and I drive like a jerk and our pavement is super bumpy. The Glif is rock solid.
The cheap holder might not be as strong, but I should mention it is quieter, sometimes the spring in the Glif makes a little noise on bumpy roads.
I too am curious what materials @John Fabrega used

#16 ·
The white part is a piece of PVC-like plastic that was a piece of scrap from some bead-board we put in a bathroom years ago. It could be made out of just about any material. It is about 2" x 16".
It is attached with simple foam 2-sided mounting tape. 2 strips the width of the screen.
The phone holder is https://www.proclipusa.com/product/medium-usb-c-adjustable-charging-holder
It is very sturdy. No wobble at all. I have ideas for ways to make it vertically adjustable and easily removable but that would require tools/time that I don't have at the moment.
I still need to deal with routing of the power cable. Will be looking for vids and pics of channels through the console to route back to the cigarette lighter adapter so I can keep the front USB ports available.

Here are some additional pics.
Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive mirror
Automotive side-view mirror Automotive mirror Vehicle Motor vehicle Rear-view mirror
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Rim Gas
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Seat belt

#17 ·
For those of you doing this with a recent iPhone, does FaceID work from your seating position? Or do you need to lean forward or do any other contortions to make FaceID work?

#18 ·
I can't answer for the results these guys are getting, but if you don't know it, there is a setting in Face ID called "Require Attention for Face ID". With this turned on you must look directly at the phone for it to unlock. Turn it off and you get a little more leeway on not having to be looking directly at the phone. This might make it easier to unlock from the driving position.

#19 · (Edited)
Nice job.
For those who need power, I still think the best charging/mount option is the
Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger
which allows constant charging whenever its mounted. This mounting location is much better than putting your phone in the center console because it allows good line of sight/peripherial vision with the road, and also you won't forget your phone in the car! (It seems to be quite easy to forget your phone if you put it in the center console) .
Some pics:
Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Plant Car

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Sunroof Automotive design

#36 ·
Nice job.
which allows constant charging whenever its mounted. This mounting location is much better than putting your phone in the center console because it allows good line of sight/peripherial vision with the road, and also you won't forget your phone in the car! (It seems to be quite easy to forget your phone if you put it in the center console) .
Some pics:
View attachment 16368
View attachment 16369
Are you an Uber driver?

#22 ·
I've actually been leaving the phone on the car's charger and using it only as a navigation backup.

Tesla's navigation is decent. :)

I do have two issues with it compared to Google Maps:
  1. Traffic/slowdown display is too confusing. I can't tell if the slowdown is on my road, on the opposite lane of my road, or on the local road running parallel to my road. Google Maps handles this better.
  2. I miss Google Map's display of alternative routes. That can be sooo helpful during rush hour, when traffic jams can be quick-forming. When I see a slowdown forming, I can quickly consider alternate routes based on arrival time differences.

#23 ·
I always like to drive with Waze running, and I try to mount my phone in a secure location close to my line of sight. I thought and tried a number of mounts for my Model 3 but wasn't satisfied with location, plus they were big and ugly when not in use and disrupted the minimal dash. I really just wanted to mount the phone to the driver's corner of the center display. Well the other night I had a eureka moment and made the perfect mount...out of stuff I already had kicking around!

I will put together a proper Youtube video soon but I thought I would quickly post this for you all.

Very simply, this is a handful of GoPro mounts and a Glif stuck to the back of the display. It can be flipped around or unclipped when not in use.
I have a cheaper spring mount on the way, but I don't think it will handle rapid acceleration like the Glif's tight grip.

So here you are:

1. Glif
(Or this cheap holder)
2. Parts from any GoPro assortment (be sure to use the flat mount)

View attachment 12122

View attachment 12121

View attachment 12123

View attachment 12124
Is the 3M adhesive removable?

#26 ·

I will put together a proper Youtube video soon but I thought I would quickly post this for you all.

Very simply, this is a handful of GoPro mounts and a Glif stuck to the back of the display. It can be flipped around or unclipped when not in use.
I have a cheaper spring mount on the way, but I don't think it will handle rapid acceleration like the Glif's tight grip.

So here you are:

1. Glif
(Or this cheap holder)
2. Parts from any GoPro assortment (be sure to use the flat mount)

View attachment 12122

View attachment 12121

View attachment 12123

View attachment 12124

What do you think?
First, thanks for sharing your configuration as I have been looking for options. Second, is there an accessory that allows for the phone to be mounted in a panoramic view? I am not a fan of the vertical view when using Waze and prefer to have it horizontally mounted. Thanks in advance!

#29 ·
Nice job.
Some pics:
View attachment 16368
View attachment 16369
I'm looking for a phone holder like this one, but not magnetic. I read you have to use a usb to one of the 2 front ports for data/info to work with the car. It's surprising so many phone holders don't allow a 180 degree set up like this. Has anyone found one that doesn't use the wobbly bendable arm?

#31 ·
The white part is a piece of PVC-like plastic that was a piece of scrap from some bead-board we put in a bathroom years ago. It could be made out of just about any material. It is about 2" x 16".
It is attached with simple foam 2-sided mounting tape. 2 strips the width of the screen.
The phone holder is https://www.proclipusa.com/product/medium-usb-c-adjustable-charging-holder
It is very sturdy. No wobble at all. I have ideas for ways to make it vertically adjustable and easily removable but that would require tools/time that I don't have at the moment.
I still need to deal with routing of the power cable. Will be looking for vids and pics of channels through the console to route back to the cigarette lighter adapter so I can keep the front USB ports available.

Here are some additional pics.
View attachment 16356 View attachment 16357 View attachment 16358 View attachment 16359
Finally got around to wrapping the white part (Thanks RPM Tesla for the material!)
Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior Fixture Tints and shades

#35 ·
I am sure here will be lots of criticism but this is what works for me for now. Phone mount designed for installing into in-dash CD player. it sits pretty solid in air outlet. I am not tall and view through steering wheel good enough for me. I am waiting for 1 meter magnetic charging cord (https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/33051492655.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4f764c4dNgIdDJ ) and 3 Port USB 3.0 Hub High Speed (https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/4000199813131.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4f764c4dNgIdDJ ). Cord will be visible only at Phone. I am not sure yet if it will be my permanent setup.

Attachments

#40 ·
The basic idea is just using GoPro mounts, which come in all shapes and sizes and can be angled in many ways. I often flip mine up 90 degrees to hold my geek gauges on top instead of my phone to the side.
I steer clear of magnets. I literally had a magnetic mount brick a cell phone before. That's why I like the small but solid clip mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.