My charging costs and savings over about a week of driving

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As expected, I charge 99% of the time at work since there's a super cheap chargepoint station there. As I've mentioned in other threads, it costs me about 13 cents/kWh compared to the 24+ cents it would cost me on super off peak at home. So I happened to take a look at my chargepoint account today and saw that I've spent less than $16 total on chargepoint. I figure I've spent a few bucks at home plugged into a 110 outlet, so in total I'm out about 18-20 bucks for over 460 miles that I've driven in my Model 3. Puts a smile on my face because it was costing me about 50-60 bucks for a tank of gas that takes me about 300 miles. This is by no means scientific, but based on my calculations I've saved well over 40 bucks in a matter of a week and a half, and that's without driving on the weekends. Pretty excited about my choice! The model 3 is by no means cheap, but saving a few hundred dollars a month in gas makes the decision a little more tolerable.

Rhaekar

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How fast are chargepoints?

I'm lucky enough to be able to charge at work for free but we only have a couple of 30A chargers and a bunch of 110s. My commute is only about 15 miles each way so I could get by with the 110s if I charged daily but so far I've just been driving until 100 miles left or so then charging back up to 80-85% on the fast chargers.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As expected, I charge 99% of the time at work since there's a super cheap chargepoint station there. As I've mentioned in other threads, it costs me about 13 cents/kWh compared to the 24+ cents it would cost me on super off peak at home. So I happened to take a look at my chargepoint account today and saw that I've spent less than $16 total on chargepoint. I figure I've spent a few bucks at home plugged into a 110 outlet, so in total I'm out about 18-20 bucks for over 460 miles that I've driven in my Model 3. Puts a smile on my face because it was costing me about 50-60 bucks for a tank of gas that takes me about 300 miles. This is by no means scientific, but based on my calculations I've saved well over 40 bucks in a matter of a week and a half, and that's without driving on the weekends. Pretty excited about my choice! The model 3 is by no means cheap, but saving a few hundred dollars a month in gas makes the decision a little more tolerable.
I'm curious what happens when you idle at a ChargePoint station? So say you get to work at 65% and charge to 85%. That 20% takes 2 hours. What if you're plugged in for another 6 hours, but the car isn't taking charge?

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using Chargepoint at work as well. My work charges me $0.05/kWh, at home I have a NEMA 15-40 and with that I'd pay about $0.11/kWh. My company has a 1.1MW solar installation and the $0.05/kWh rate is supposed to be what my company is paid for wholesale solar electricity production, so they are passing their price over. We have two 6.6kW shared chargepoint chargers with two plugs each - so 6.6KW if you are alone, or 3.3kW if there are two of you. We have parking for 6 people and just move the plugs around as needed.

So, yeah, I have been very pleased with what I pay to power my Model 3.

I'm curious what happens when you idle at a ChargePoint station? So say you get to work at 65% and charge to 85%. That 20% takes 2 hours. What if you're plugged in for another 6 hours, but the car isn't taking charge?
For me, chargepoint pings me when the car starts to taper the current with a text message to my phone (I opted into this feature) that says "Chargepoint: your vehicle plugged into <charger name> is drawing very little power and may be fully charged". At which point, we usually cut off charging in the app to free up the shared 3.3kW plug to give all 6.6kW to the other person. If you don't manually cut it off, then the charger continues to share the 3.3kW equally - even though, at the point that charging completes, the other car isn't actually using any of it. You have to manually disengage in the app or physically unplug it to stop it from sharing. And then I personally walk out and move my car but most of my co-workers don't because it's enough if one or two of us move because - for reasons that I don't understand - most of my co-workers do not take advantage of super cheap charging rates here at work.

But there's no rule here requiring owners move their cars to make space because it's a corporate parking space. Other chargepoint parking spots are owned by businesses and they can set the rules as they see fit and charge idling fees or anything else that they want to do. Chargepoint provides the charger and the software, but the actual spot is owned by whomever owns the land and the owner can change the way the charger works as well.

Out of the ~300 employees here, there's now eleven Leafs, four Volts, two Bolts, and three Model 3's. Another 10 employees have Model 3 reservations and are either waiting for AWD or haven't been invited to configure yet.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm using Chargepoint at work as well. My work charges me $0.05/kWh, at home I have a NEMA 15-40 and with that I'd pay about $0.11/kWh. My company has a 1.1MW solar installation and the $0.05/kWh rate is supposed to be what my company is paid for wholesale solar electricity production, so they are passing their price over. We have two 6.6kW shared chargepoint chargers with two plugs each - so 6.6KW if you are alone, or 3.3kW if there are two of you. We have parking for 6 people and just move the plugs around as needed.

So, yeah, I have been very pleased with what I pay to power my Model 3.

For me, chargepoint pings me when the car starts to taper the current with a text message to my phone (I opted into this feature) that says "Chargepoint: your vehicle plugged into <charger name> is drawing very little power and may be fully charged". At which point, we usually cut off charging in the app to free up the shared 3.3kW plug to give all 6.6kW to the other person. If you don't manually cut it off, then the charger continues to share the 3.3kW equally - even though, at the point that charging completes, the other car isn't actually using any of it. You have to manually disengage in the app or physically unplug it to stop it from sharing. And then I personally walk out and move my car but most of my co-workers don't because it's enough if one or two of us move because - for reasons that I don't understand - most of my co-workers do not take advantage of super cheap charging rates here at work.

But there's no rule requiring owners move their cars to make space because it's a corporate parking space. Other chargepoint parking spots are owned by businesses and they can set the rules as they see fit. Chargepoint provides the charger and the software, but the actual spot is owned by whomever owns the land and the owner can change the way the charger works as well.

Out of the ~300 employees here, there's now eleven Leafs, four Volts, two Bolts, and three Model 3's. Another 10 employees have Model 3 reservations and are either waiting for AWD or haven't been invited to configure yet.
Thanks!

I’m headed to Disney World and will want to charge there but I’d idle for hours...

Part of me feels bad, but part of me thinks the general practice there is park early and never come back to your car until end of day.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Be careful with that - some locations charge idle fees, just like Tesla with their Superchargers. At my work, we have Chargepoint chargers. There's a small fee for use ($.20/kWh), but if you leave your car parked for over 4 hours, they tack on a $2.00/hr. parking fee! Note that only a small fraction of Chargepoint chargers do this, and I think it's at the request of the property owner.

It's a good incentive to discourage people from hogging spots while not charging...

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As much as you're saving money with your brief ownership history, I think your efficiency will improve even more with time. Early on during Tesla ownership, most people drive more aggressively because of the amazing acceleration. Plus there's the whole showing off thing to friends during test drives. After fast starts gets old and you drive more normally, you should get even better miles per kwh.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Be careful with that - some locations charge idle fees, just like Tesla with their Superchargers. At my work, we have Chargepoint chargers. There's a small fee for use ($.20/kWh), but if you leave your car parked for over 4 hours, they tack on a $2.00/hr. parking fee! Note that only a small fraction of Chargepoint chargers do this, and I think it's at the request of the property owner.

It's a good incentive to discourage people from hogging spots while not charging...
Thanks! I need to see what the deal is as Disney World. No way anyone is making the trek back to the car to unplug and park elsewhere.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Thanks! I need to see what the deal is as Disney World. No way anyone is making the trek back to the car to unplug and park elsewhere.
FWIW - I believe that WDW EV spots are first-come, first served and do not force you to move after charged. From allears.net http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/2018/03/parking_fees_increase_at_walt.html

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations For your convenience, a number of ChargePoint charging stations are now available in parking lots at Epcot, Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and Disney Springs. Arriving Guests may ask a Cast Member for directions to these charge ports, which are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Epcot: 4 stations at the front of the Journey Parking Lot
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park: 4 stations in the Medical Parking Lot
Disney Springs: 6 stations: 3 on the 5th floor of the Orange Garage and 3 on the 5th floor of the Lime Garage

To use this service, you will need a credit card or a pre-ordered ChargePoint card—available at chargepoint.com. The cost to charge at these stations is $0.35 per kilowatt hour, with a minimum service amount of $1.50. Charging will stop once the vehicle’s battery is fully charged. ChargePoint will “ping” the owners to alert them when their car is ready.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow! those are crazy electric rates there! I currently pay 9.8 cents/kWh. I can't imagine paying 24+ cents. :p

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FWIW - I believe that WDW EV spots are first-come, first served and do not force you to move after charged. From allears.net http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/2018/03/parking_fees_increase_at_walt.html

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations For your convenience, a number of ChargePoint charging stations are now available in parking lots at Epcot, Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and Disney Springs. Arriving Guests may ask a Cast Member for directions to these charge ports, which are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Epcot: 4 stations at the front of the Journey Parking Lot
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park: 4 stations in the Medical Parking Lot
Disney Springs: 6 stations: 3 on the 5th floor of the Orange Garage and 3 on the 5th floor of the Lime Garage

To use this service, you will need a credit card or a pre-ordered ChargePoint card—available at chargepoint.com. The cost to charge at these stations is $0.35 per kilowatt hour, with a minimum service amount of $1.50. Charging will stop once the vehicle’s battery is fully charged. ChargePoint will “ping” the owners to alert them when their car is ready.
Thank you very much! We'll be at Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs, so that works well!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Must be nice to live in Florida or Southern CA so you can go to Disney anytime... :D For us, when we do go, it's only during summer time and survive through the heat and crowd!
Pffft, you think that's tough? For me to go, I have to win a major sporting event!!!

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Must be nice to live in Florida or Southern CA so you can go to Disney anytime... :D For us, when we do go, it's only during summer time and survive through the heat and crowd!
I feel the same way! I used to live in Cali and probably went to DL 15 times over my lifetime while I lived there. Since living in Texas I try to go as much as we can but we have only managed on DL trip and 2 WDW trips. I also managed to squeeze in DLP when I was in Europe a couple years ago with my wife and oldest daughter. The other two kids still don't know we went haha. We have another trip to WDW planned in August.

On a side note for WDW I plan on stopping by a super charger and making sure my car is topped off. It will be interesting to see how it does sitting that long since we won't be using it much while there. My parents will also be driving a separate car (our minivan) from Texas so we'll have two cars there. We plan on using the van to park because we'll have 7 people and I don't want to pay 2 parking fees. We are staying offsite.

Anyone know if there is charging at the Universal hotels? We are staying one night there to get the front of the line pass thingie so if they have charging that would be great. The timeshare we are staying in doesn't have car charging.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel the same way! I used to live in Cali and probably went to DL 15 times over my lifetime while I lived there. Since living in Texas I try to go as much as we can but we have only managed on DL trip and 2 WDW trips. I also managed to squeeze in DLP when I was in Europe a couple years ago with my wife and oldest daughter. The other two kids still don't know we went haha. We have another trip to WDW planned in August.

On a side note for WDW I plan on stopping by a super charger and making sure my car is topped off. It will be interesting to see how it does sitting that long since we won't be using it much while there. My parents will also be driving a separate car (our minivan) from Texas so we'll have two cars there. We plan on using the van to park because we'll have 7 people and I don't want to pay 2 parking fees. We are staying offsite.

Anyone know if there is charging at the Universal hotels? We are staying one night there to get the front of the line pass thingie so if they have charging that would be great. The timeshare we are staying in doesn't have car charging.
Wow! that was nice that you were able to visit DL so often while living in CA. We do have one trip planned for next year to DL for the Star Wars Land opening - there'll be 7 to 8 of us going next year. I was thinking of taking the 3 for a road trip but kind of dread the drive from Dallas to DL.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Wow! that was nice that you were able to visit DL so often while living in CA. We do have one trip planned for next year to DL for the Star Wars Land opening - there'll be 7 to 8 of us going next year. I was thinking of taking the 3 for a road trip but kind of dread the drive from Dallas to DL.
I have done the trip to Cali from Texas probably about 10 times and it isn't too bad. I-10 through Texas and NM is pretty boring. Once you get into Arizona it gets real interesting with rock formations and cacti etc... I much prefer driving to FL from here though. If you are going in summer I recommend I-40 and maybe a stop at the grand canyon. Then drive south to Phoenix and then over to LA on 10.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have done the trip to Cali from Texas probably about 10 times and it isn't too bad. I-10 through Texas and NM is pretty boring. Once you get into Arizona it gets real interesting with rock formations and cacti etc... I much prefer driving to FL from here though. If you are going in summer I recommend I-40 and maybe a stop at the grand canyon. Then drive south to Phoenix and then over to LA on 10.
I was thinking exactly that! We have not visited the Grand Canyon so that would be a good road trip. If we do make the drive, we're probably going to plan on early June so maybe not too hot just yet.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I was thinking exactly that! We have not visited the Grand Canyon so that would be a good road trip. If we do make the drive, we're probably going to plan on early June so maybe not too hot just yet.
Phoenix will be bad but the Grand Canyon should be pleasant. We were there last July and it was really nice maybe in the 70's. Then we stopped in Kingman (we were heading to Norcal) and it was super hot.
Flagstaff is a different climate than Phoenix and the rest of AZ.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Phoenix will be bad but the Grand Canyon should be pleasant. We were there last July and it was really nice maybe in the 70's. Then we stopped in Kingman (we were heading to Norcal) and it was super hot.
Flagstaff is a different climate than Phoenix and the rest of AZ.
Yup. I hear people tell me "it's a dry heat" compare to our humidity in Texas...but 115 degrees is still 115 degrees! :eek: