My car got hit in a parking lot, but I am very thankful for Sentry Mode

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, while at dinner tonight my Apple Watch gave me an alarm from my car (luckily I had the Sentry Mode engaged!) and I ran out to find someone hit my car. When I told him that my car had alerted me, he said that he was “glad I came out because he was about to leave” since he “didn’t know what else to do” (I would have thought going into the restaurant and asking if anyone had a white car in the back row might have been a good idea but that’s just me :) ) The bumper got it pretty good as well as one of the sensors and the side panel has a dent bigger than my fist and the rim got scraped really good too :( At least I can drive it, but I foresee a lot of back and forth with the insurance companies. Thanks to Sentry Mode I was able to get the person’s information and I made sure to mention it to my insurance company when I called them.

Attachments

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I pulled the video and it recorded perfectly, thank goodness :) It’s nice to know I have proof if the guy starts trying to say it’s not his fault. Also, for those interested, the alert came to me instantly. The next minute recorded (after the impact) you see me on video coming towards the car to see what happened, so there was absolutely no delay in the alert system :cool:

Edit: FYI I am on version 24.4

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad it recorded for you.
I had a Sentry alarm alert me while golfing. I raced back to car in my golf cart and all was ok. Looked at video later and all it was, was a person walking close to the car with a golf bag. I suspect the bag looked huge to the camera.

They do come quick.

shareef777

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got an alert a couple days ago. First one since buying the car almost 6mo ago. Looked around at the car and didn’t see anything. Looked at the video around the time of the alert and it was a completely empty parking lot.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a Sentry alarm alert me while golfing. I raced back to car in my golf cart and all was ok. Looked at video later and all it was, was a person walking close to the car with a golf bag. I suspect the bag looked huge to the camera.
Anybody walking close to the vehicle will get reported as an "event", which you won't see until you get back into the car.
1565952720508.png

The only time an alert gets generated on the phone is when the car also senses "movement" of the car itself. This can be due to someone hitting the car, but it can also be caused by very loud noises, such as a low-flying jet, or a car with a very loud exhaust, or even the floor of a parking garage shaking from a heavy vehicle driving by.

So if you actually received an alert on your phone, then my guess is that the guy's golf bag smacked your mirror.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, while at dinner tonight my Apple Watch gave me an alarm from my car (luckily I had the Sentry Mode engaged!) and I ran out to find someone hit my car. When I told him that my car had alerted me, he said that he was “glad I came out because he was about to leave” since he “didn’t know what else to do” (I would have thought going into the restaurant and asking if anyone had a white car in the back row might have been a good idea but that’s just me :) ) The bumper got it pretty good as well as one of the sensors and the side panel has a dent bigger than my fist and the rim got scraped really good too :( At least I can drive it, but I foresee a lot of back and forth with the insurance companies. Thanks to Sentry Mode I was able to get the person’s information and I made sure to mention it to my insurance company when I called them.
Sorry to see this, but glad Sentry Mode helped out! I witness first hand an accident in a parking lot with a young driver who panicked and literally moved their car to another spot. I called 911 and helped locate the offending driver.

Hoping for a speedy repair for you. Please keep us posted.

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update for those who may be interested: I got a quote from a certified Tesla body shop and it came in at around $5700. They said it will take 7-8 days to do the repair (not including time to get parts.) I have to have my insurance company's field adjuster look at it before I can move forward, but will keep TOO (Tesla Owners Online :p) updated as things happen.