My car at service center was left unlocked and in parking lot at 9pm

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Golden Gate

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would like to get opinions here in case there's something I'm missing here. The San Rafael, California Tesla service center does not have a secured lot. Tonight around 9 pm I happened to check the app and saw that the car was unlocked. I TURNED OFF THE BLUETOOTH ON MY PHONE so my phone would not act like a key and drove over there. I used the app to flash the lights to find the car, which was parked in a space in the unsecured parking lot. I doubled checked the bluetooth prior and afterwards - it was definitely off and the app had a message telling me to enable it to use the Bluetooth as a key.

With the Bluetooth still off, I opened the door and the stereo turned on and the screen prompted me with an update. I did not look to see if the key was on the center pillar or wherever it goes (I do not ever use the key, and did not have a key with me).

I locked the car with my app and left. In shock.

There are no valuables in there except for the $80 Tesla tire inflation kit, my registration with contains info I'd rather not have in the hands of a crook, and a bottle of water. But I think the car was left in a driveable unlocked state if I could do an update right? I am guessing that key is on the center dash. Also, we have a sizable homeless location here in San Rafael, and the service center is right along the main route the homeless use to go north and south.

Thoughts / opinions, friends? I am pretty flustered and really unhappy. This was after another screw up earlier today there which I won't go into here in the interest of time. And the desire to go have a glass of wine right now.

(I know, there are bigger issues in the world, like hurricanes and war... this isn't the end of the world, it's just disconcerting that the service center isn't taking better care of my prized Tesla.)

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'd be at least as disturbed/worried/concerned as you. Particularly because I live near the same Service Center. PLEASE let the Manager there know about this!

And do have that wine with a toast wishing good things to anyone near the hurricane.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I noticed the same when my car went in for paint work. The issue was that they had the trunk detached which made the car think the trunk was “open” and thus the car could not be locked. The part that bothered me is that the car was outside overnight :(

Golden Gate

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Haha yes it was her first night outside overnight.... aren't we ridiculous? I fully admit it. Anyway, profuse apologies and great treatment from the dealership redeemed the situation. I'm still a fan. And with my BMW, who knows where it's parked and what's going on with it when it goes to the local service center. Tesla gives us a lot more information, which can be a good or bad thing. Anyway all has turned out well... but I will be checking the app anytime it's in for service or valet parked.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Haha yes it was her first night outside overnight.... aren't we ridiculous? I fully admit it. Anyway, profuse apologies and great treatment from the dealership redeemed the situation. I'm still a fan. And with my BMW, who knows where it's parked and what's going on with it when it goes to the local service center. Tesla gives us a lot more information, which can be a good or bad thing. Anyway all has turned out well... but I will be checking the app anytime it's in for service or valet parked.
Usually they turn off mobile access when the car is in for service. I heard a story about a car being summoned off a lift. It can be very dangerous.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've never had remote access disabled during service. And don't you have to be within 10 feet or so to summon?
Bluetooth range ... it can be accidentally done. Suffice to say it’s in their best interest to block your access.

Nikola

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My Model 3 was picked up yesterday by the local service guy for a windshield replacement. In Tucson they work out of a "non customer-facing" shop at an undisclosed location. He disabled mobile access before he even left the driveway with my car.

I don't think he did that to hide the shop location. The address is printed right on the invoice. I think it is a matter of policy, as @SoFlaModel3 suggested.

Jason F

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is not Tesla related, but my brother had his car stolen from a dealership that was getting work done. Someone went into the dealer, took the keys that were hanging inside,stole the car and then crashed and totaled it. In the end, my brother's insurance had to cover it. The dealer was not found as responsible and didn't provide any loaners or deals for replacing the car.

So I would say you have good reason to worry.