MX4s are run flats?

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got a screw in my tire yesterday. Took the wheel off & took it to AAA to get plugged. They told me they couldn’t fix it because it’s a run flat. They showed me the foam liner and said that means it’s a run flat.

Nowhere here have I seen that we have run flat tires. I don’t know what The foams for but I don’t think it’s that. What gives? Can I just plug it?

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks that’s what I was thinking too. I wasn’t gonna push it with those guys though because as soon as they hear “Tesla” there, it’s like the laws of physics don’t apply anymore.

As an aside, I did call roadside when I first saw the problem. I was told that the normal procedure for M3 is to swap the wheel out for a “loaner”. The agent didn’t say if this was until the SvC could “fix” the tire or just get a new one* (my guess is that they’d want to do the latter). It didn’t matter in my case because there were no M3 loaner wheels in my area to be had anyway.

*That I’d have to pay for.

Last edited:

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It took AAA about an hour to get around to “looking” at the tire. By the time I got back, heard their spiel and recovered the wheel, I just stopped at AutoZone & bought a plug kit and fixed it myself. Luckily the screw was pretty much dead-center in one of the grooves between the tread.

“Luckily”o_O