Suggestion Mute Nav voice near home

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know if its possible to MUTE the nav voice then leaving HOME? I a;ready know my home area. It would be nice to be able to mute at varing distances from home. 5-10-15 miles .
There isn't a way to do this automatically in the current firmware, but I like the idea. In fact, on the outbound leg of a road trip yesterday, I found myself wishing for this very feature... especially as I tried to navigate the last few miles to my destination in a completely unfamiliar town.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There isn't a way to do this automatically in the current firmware, but I like the idea. In fact, on the outbound leg of a road trip yesterday, I found myself wishing for this very feature... especially as I tried to navigate the last few miles to my destination in a completely unfamiliar town.
I hope this idea gets some consideration. I think with some exposure it is something most people would appreciate.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would like a few options like this, including this...

• "last mile" navigation or "Assume I know how to get to the neighborhood but need help with the address"
  • "quickest route overview only" - no turn by turn but do tell me "x highway is quicker than y highway today" by just naming the most major different road on the route. Sometimes I nav just to know if it thinks traffic is better on surface streets or the longer but faster highway route.
For those reasons...I always have nav voice muted. I know most routes most of the time - just want the obvious choices laid out for me.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would like a few options like this, including this...

• "last mile" navigation or "Assume I know how to get to the neighborhood but need help with the address"
  • "quickest route overview only" - no turn by turn but do tell me "x highway is quicker than y highway today" by just naming the most major different road on the route. Sometimes I nav just to know if it thinks traffic is better on surface streets or the longer but faster highway route.
For those reasons...I always have nav voice muted. I know most routes most of the time - just want the obvious choices laid out for me.
Hmm...the risk with those kinds of modes is accidentally turning them on and then having no idea why things aren't working the way you expect. Or having cryptic menu options that don't do what a driver expects them to do.

Maybe a good compromise would be just to make it easier to mute and unmute the NAV voice--a single button press on and off on the touch-screen, like there is for the parking chimes.

jdcollins5

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm...the risk with those kinds of modes is accidentally turning them on and then having no idea why things aren't working the way you expect. Or having cryptic menu options that don't do what a driver expects them to do.

Maybe a good compromise would be just to make it easier to mute and unmute the NAV voice--a single button press on and off on the touch-screen, like there is for the parking chimes.
Again, when the Nav voice begins talking, the left scroll button controls volume and muting.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
There is a touch screen option to turn on and off the nav voice.... it’s in the gear box nav settings. Was your emphasis on single? As in, get to it without 2 touches?

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I experimented with this some today. I have AP but not NOA, so this was regular turn-by-turn navigation, not NOA. I'm on 28.3.1 on a Model 3 LR RWD.

Pressing the left thumbwheel did not mute the navigation. It did mute the entertainment system, if that was playing, but the nav still spoke. Adjusting the volume with the thumbwheel did change the volume of the nav voice, but of course also changed the volume of the entertainment system.

jsmay311

Country
Country
There is a touch screen option to turn on and off the nav voice.... it’s in the gear box nav settings. Was your emphasis on single? As in, get to it without 2 touches?
If you count the tap needed to close out the Nav settings window after muting/unmuting, it's actually 3 touches to mute/unmute. So it would definitely be worth it to make it doable in a single tap IMO. I find myself muting/unmuting Nav a lot for the reasons already noted above, and 3 screen taps when your eyes should be on the road is far from ideal.

A mute/unmute button could easily be added to the GUI next to the existing settings button by simply taking a little bit of real estate away from the "Cancel" button. (Mocked up below.)

(Mock-up with Nav mute button added...)
1567119531753-png.28766

Even better... you could also add a "slider" function to that button when it's unmuted so you could quickly adjust Nav voice volume with a quick swipe, similar to how the climate temperature works.

And if I'm getting really greedy, it would be nice if the estimated % battery at destination was always visible somewhere too. :cool:

Kimmo57

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a Finnish person I would like an option for leaving out the attempts to pronounce street names, eg. Mäkkylän puistotie or Nordensjköldinkatu.
It's funny for a couple of times, but useless after that. Just say turn left or right.

lairdb

Country
Country
Does anyone know if its possible to MUTE the nav voice then leaving HOME? I a;ready know my home area. It would be nice to be able to mute at varing distances from home. 5-10-15 miles .
I'm with the folks who have permanently muted it -- but I've suggested before that I'd like a way to force it to speak the next direction even if muted. (My 2002 Lexus had this, FWIW.) Most of the time I know, or can glance, and don't really need the voice -- but once in a while it's nice to tap a button* and have it say the next thing.

(*Unfortunately, most if the times I used this on my previous car were when I really didn't want to look away from the road, so it was nice to have a button I could find by touch. I'd still take it, especially if it was a single tap at a predictable location.)