Must Have Apps for Any Tesla

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I've become as obsessed with my Teslafi data as the car itself ;)
but had an unexpected result I wanted to see if this happens, or is unusual...
On the freeway near my house, there are still 2 cross streets' lights (yeah, in the middle of a divided freeway). When the light is red, it takes quite some time to cycle thru all the directions (3-5 minutes). Today, Teslafi broke this into a route stop. So I have from my office to this intersection as one drive line (ending at 6:29p), then the intersection to my house as another (staring at 6:29p). Was sitting at the light in Drive with the brake on.
Does this happen often? can you combine drives in Teslafi? should I not worry about it?
That shouldn't happen, because the car is still in Drive, not Park, and Teslafi reads the drive mode. I haven't had issues with long lights.

Carl_P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New Model 3 owner here! Like yesterday new.

I'm really interested in getting a third party app to track all the stats available for my car, but I don't know which one to get.

I've heard good things about:
Remote S (iOS app)
Stats (iOS app)
TeslaFi (desktop webpage)

Is there a widely accepted favorite app? I had a surprisingly hard time googling this. TeslaFi seems great, but $50/yr is a little steep just for stats. Not sure about costs of the iphone apps.

Thanks!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New Model 3 owner here! Like yesterday new.

I'm really interested in getting a third party app to track all the stats available for my car, but I don't know which one to get.

I've heard good things about:
Remote S (iOS app)
Stats (iOS app)
TeslaFi (desktop webpage)

Is there a widely accepted favorite app? I had a surprisingly hard time googling this. TeslaFi seems great, but $50/yr is a little steep just for stats. Not sure about costs of the iphone apps.

Thanks!
I've been using Teslafi since a day or so after delivery, and love what it tracks and can tell you about trips, charging, efficiency, how often you go to x location, how long you are at x location, etc, etc.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe I'm missing something but what good is a free Teslafi account after the 2 week trial period expires? The website is worthless source for any info about it, but it appears to be a pay service with a trial and no mention of a free version. The only thing I can come up with is to provide data for the firmware tracker.

I'm not a fan of signing up for something, especially if I have to go to the work of generating a token, when I know I'm not interested in paying for it. TBH, Volt Stats (for Chevy Volt) wasn't that interesting, but at least it was free.

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some other good pnes

Automate (good Apple Watch app also)
Tesla Plus (easiest one to schedule temp m-f at 11:45am)
Explorer
Stats

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe I'm missing something but what good is a free Teslafi account after the 2 week trial period expires? The website is worthless source for any info about it, but it appears to be a pay service with a trial and no mention of a free version. The only thing I can come up with is to provide data for the firmware tracker.

I'm not a fan of signing up for something, especially if I have to go to the work of generating a token, when I know I'm not interested in paying for it. TBH, Volt Stats (for Chevy Volt) wasn't that interesting, but at least it was free.
I payed for the year membership. It provides a wealth of info. Efficiency of driving, battery health and degradation over time. It documents virtually every aspect of your journeys. It makes tracking business miles painless. I like that I am establishing a baseline of my car’s health to track for its life. I just started using the automated climate and change features: because I didn’t know they existed. They are very easy to set up. My only gripe is that it is a website and not an app. Other that that, it is pretty amazing for the money.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I put my destination in, if I have a place I need to stop can I add that and will the navigation tell me where I should stop and charge?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I put my destination in, if I have a place I need to stop can I add that and will the navigation tell me where I should stop and charge?
Yes, but it won't take into account if you need to charge in order to reach your next destination. It will assume that you can arrive with a low battery.

EDIT - sorry, I didn't read closely. No, you cannot add an intermediate stop.

Last edited:

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, but it won't take into account if you need to charge in order to reach your next destination. It will assume that you can arrive with a low battery.

EDIT - sorry, I didn't read closely. No, you cannot add an intermediate stop.
Ok! We will just go to our first stop! And then there is a Tesla charger near there. We can charge if we need to.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As others have suggested, you're gonna want plugshare. Both the app, and the website are very helpful.

ABetterRoutePlanner website (and possibly app) is quite good for realistic expectations for range on specific routes including factors like speed, temperature, elevation, driving style, etc.

You'll want the apps, and sign up for the card(s) for third party charging stations. Many are free, but often require a tap to activate the charger/unlock the handle. Often this works via the app but if the internet is down on that station you'll need the physical card.
Chargepoint, FLO, and others are around. Check the ones you'll use most on plugshare first to see which brands are common around you.

Life0fstacy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As others have suggested, you're gonna want plugshare. Both the app, and the website are very helpful.

ABetterRoutePlanner website (and possibly app) is quite good for realistic expectations for range on specific routes including factors like speed, temperature, elevation, driving style, etc.

You'll want the apps, and sign up for the card(s) for third party charging stations. Many are free, but often require a tap to activate the charger/unlock the handle. Often this works via the app but if the internet is down on that station you'll need the physical card.
Chargepoint, FLO, and others are around. Check the ones you'll use most on plugshare first to see which brands are common around you.
Great!! Thanks.

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Notes from my days as an EV motorcyclist for L2 charging in CA/NV USA region:

Greenlots
Volta Charging
PlugShare
ChargePoint
RV Parky
SemaConnect

If you must use "Blink" charging network then :rolleyes: wear hazmat suit + arc resistant gloves and carry a BC rated fire extinguisher at all times ;) Have seen the magic smoke escape from these horrible EVSE terminals more than once.

On any normal trip you should bring adapters for at least J1772, TT30, 14-50, and 5-15 (5-20). I've also had occasion to use L6-30 twist-lock connectors "in the wild" on combustion generators. Having at least 18ft to 24ft (20ft or 25ft common lengths) of appropriately rated extension cord is a tradeoff of weight and getting around things that are between you and an electric socket.

Since I've had a Tesla Model 3 there's a lot fewer adapters and less "creative clandestine charging" situations needed. Tesla charging network is really quite extensive and the Model 3 stock ground clearance is not suited to the kinds of adventures I would go on with the motorbike. If you're going that far away from services you should also study and earn amateur radio certification; I carry this kind of 2-way radio always and hope to never use it... but point of fact I have already had to use 2-way radio to call for rescue on some other travelers who were over-confident and under-prepared - their comment was "we're fine I'll just call Verizon as soon as my phone finds a signal" about 60mi from the nearest tower... :oops:

SafetySeal makes a quality tire plug kit something like their KAP30 model kit; not officially recommended for stock Tesla tires but good bloody luck otherwise getting a service truck to the middle of nowhere! Also a portable air compressor doesn't have to get too fancy I carry a DynaPlug Micro inflator. I have used these together to temporarily patch a flat on a few adventures. If your tire is not possible to be saved then carrying a spare is not "the answer" because the risk of supporting a heavy vehicle like EV car to change the spare alone is already a failure in the decision making process. Same as running out of stored electric charge on the battery. Better to get help or already have help there with you as part of a multi vehicle party. On the EV motorcycle we could (slowly) charge from one bike to another. Tesla does not have this vehicle-to-vehicle capability but if they did it would be only marginally more useful than going for help to get a flatbed truck.

I think the situation will normalize when EV's with higher clearance EV equipped for towing i.e. Model Y and truck enter the market. You would then have one as a support vehicle for self-rescue either in the party or on-call. I don't think Model Y will neccessarily be rated to flatbed tow a Model Y but that won't stop people from trying. It could however fetch a utility trailer of tools to safely repair a heavy vehicle roadside or be a source of stored energy (combustion or otherwise) to power a battery charger. The reality now is you're not asking for oil fuel so the conversation is inherently non-threatening to anyone familiar with how to charge a cell phone. Any passing RV will have a generator and if you end up stuck where they happen to be for awhile then you could make some friends and recharge enough to get to a safe waypoint and make contact for flatbed towing service.

At the moment do NOT attempt to "redneck tow" a Tesla in any manner other than flatbed trailer under its own power to get up the ramp. It's a problem for track as well as off-road, there is no reasonable attachment point to drag from. The body panels will dent and things will go very badly even when pushing by hand while in Neutral. That $5 for a tractor to pull you out of a bag-o'-drugs music festival will not end well.:cool: