Must Have Apps for Any Tesla

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To those of you who also use TeslaFi, have you turned off Cabin Overheat Protection, as TeslaFi suggests you do in order to maximize the possibility of the car going to sleep during the day? I like Cabin Overheat Protection and have no intention of switching it off. Will TeslaFi cause significant additional battery drain on top of COP if I keep COP turned on? Or is COP already preventing the car from sleeping while it's out in the hot sun? If the latter, I really don't care, but if having TeslaFi on top of COP causes significant additional batter drain, I will probably jettison TeslaFi.
Yes, my COP is turned off per TeslaFi, but initially it was enabled and it had no major impact at the time.

And you are correct, COP is already preventing the car from sleeping so this overrides and ignores the TeslaFi sleep settings,

As James from TeslaFi explained to me, TeslaFi cannot make the car sleep, it can only stop polling to allow it to sleep when it's ready. If COP is enabled and triggered the car obviously cannot enter sleep, so until the cabin temp is lower you will continue to cycle between idle and COP (Fan and/or AC).

Our 90+ degree days are likely behind us now in NJ for the season so this is less of an issue, but I found myself just pre-cooling 5-min before leaving work or the gym while avoiding COP all together.. easy enough with the 3 and all controls at your fingertips. :)

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
EVgo isn't redundant when you are already using PlugShare?
Potentially — haven’t used it yet, but it’s sitting there. My go to for travel outside of Tesla charging is ChargePoint and then Plugshare as a backup.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I decided to try TeslaFi last night. The data available is quite interesting, if a bit overwhelming. I also appreciate the ability to schedule my AC to come on shortly before my usual departure time for work. One less thing to think about before I have had my coffee.

To those of you who also use TeslaFi, have you turned off Cabin Overheat Protection, as TeslaFi suggests you do in order to maximize the possibility of the car going to sleep during the day? I like Cabin Overheat Protection and have no intention of switching it off. Will TeslaFi cause significant additional battery drain on top of COP if I keep COP turned on? Or is COP already preventing the car from sleeping while it's out in the hot sun? If the latter, I really don't care, but if having TeslaFi on top of COP causes significant additional batter drain, I will probably jettison TeslaFi.

Thanks for any feedback!
You can leave Cabin Overheat Protection on and use TeslaFi just fine. No way I'm disabling one of my favorite features. Of course there is just the chance that after TeslaFi tells the car to sleep, the car wakes back up to cool down the interior.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My only suggestion with the apps, and all - don't share your Tesla credentials, instead use Login tokens. And also treat those login tokens as 'secrets' - and don't publish them in public forums, etc. And if you arent' sure on how to generate tokens, I wrote a simple app for that. I was vary of online sites generating the tokens. See [1]. This code is open sourced too if you or anyone else wants to see it. And finally you don't need any apps, just a cURL script is good enough. See [2].

[1] - http://desigeek.com/blog/amit/2018/08/06/windows-tesla-auth-token-generator/
[2] - http://desigeek.com/blog/amit/2018/08/10/generating-tesla-authentication-token-curl-script/

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I fully agree on giving third-party sites a Tesla API token rather than your credentials. Any legitimate third party calling the Tesla API on your behalf should offer this option. If one does not, kindly ask for them to provide the ability to supply your own Tesla API token in lieu of credentials... it should be a trivial additional to their service.

Along the same lines, I also recommend using @Geek 's method #2 above (or a generic web-proxy utility like Fiddler, if you're already familiar with it) to generate your own Tesla API token directly, without the aid of a third-party program or website. This keeps your Tesla credentials between you and Tesla, as originally intended.

To be clear, I don't mean to suggest that TeslaFi and other third-services are generally untrustworthy. I love TeslaFi in particular, and I take them at their word that they only intend to use my credentials to generate an API token before discarding them. But I'd rather not take on the risk (small as it may be) that, due to an oversight by the development team or hosting company, my credentials end up persisting in a cache somewhere, waiting to be found.

So, I would treat your Tesla credentials as if they were your key card, because in many ways the two are functionally equivalent. Imagine meeting someone for the first time, they ask if they can sit in the driver's seat of your Model 3, and you oblige. To let them in, would you hand the key card over to them, or would you simply swipe the card on the B pillar, while maintaining control of the card? Sure, odds are that the stranger is a harmless Tesla enthusiast who is dreaming of having one of their own, and nothing bad will happen if you hand them the card. But the nature of their request -- to simply sit in your car -- doesn't require you to do so. By maintaining control of the card, you greatly reduce the risk of unwanted outcomes, whether intentional (WOOOOSH -- "See ya, sucka!!!") or incidental ("Whoops, I seem to have lost your key card...").

ChargePoint

Country
Country
ChargePoint and EVTO-TESLA
Thanks!

I'd also recommend SemaConnect. They've got a number of free chargers that don't show up on PlugShare, for some reason. You'd need to establish an account with them, put $10 in the account, and then wait for them to mail you a card. But it's worth it, in my opinion.

Also, TezLab is fun. They send you an email every morning with stats about the previous day.
In addition to ChargePoint stations, we also show SemaConnect, Blink, eVgo, and Superchargers on the ChargePoint app. :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for the Teslafi users, does it pull any prior information, or if one wants to capture all miles/usage, do you need it set up prior to delivery?

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for the Teslafi users, does it pull any prior information, or if one wants to capture all miles/usage, do you need it set up prior to delivery?
TeslaFi pulls all of its data from the Tesla API, which (a) requires you to have an active vehicle on your Tesla account, and (b) only reports the car's current state, nothing historical. Your vehicle's "history" in TeslaFi is actually the result of TeslaFi polling your car for its status and location every minute of every day (unless it's asleep or trying to sleep).

I never tried signing up for TeslaFi without a vehicle on my account, so I'm not sure whether it will let you complete the signup process before delivery. Worst case, if it doesn't, check your Tesla app a few minutes before your delivery appointment to see if your car is there, and if so, sign up then... otherwise, sign up right after your appointment is complete and you're about to drive off the lot, if you can resist the temptation for just one more minute. :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so back to tokens... I generally can do ok follow instructions and get things to work, even if I don't know wtf I am doing (which totally is the case here), but this is not producing what I expect it should

On OSX in Terminal I've installed cURL followed by @Geek's code with my email/pass . Upon enter, it produces the following:
Code:
{"response":"undefined_method_`strip'_for_nil:nilclass"}
what am I missing or doing wrong?

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so back to tokens... I generally can do ok follow instructions and get things to work, even if I don't know wtf I am doing (which totally is the case here), but this is not producing what I expect it should
On OSX in Terminal I've installed cURL followed by @Geek's code with my email/pass . Upon enter, it produces the following:
Code:
{"response":"undefined_method_`strip'_for_nil:nilclass"}
what am I missing or doing wrong?
Is it possible that you've followed the instructions correctly, but the lack of a vehicle on your account is causing the issue? I'm not that familiar with Ruby, but the response looks like an unexpected server-side error, which makes me think you've hit an unhandled case of some sort. Or, perhaps more likely, given that this is an internal API whose primary purpose is to support the Tesla app, it's just the API's accepted (albeit strange) way of saying there's no vehicle on your account... which the app would normally translate into English.

Just to make sure nothing got lost in copy/paste translation... your curl command line looks like this, right?

Code:
curl -X POST -H "Cache-Control: no-cache" -H "Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundary7MA4YWxkTrZu0gW" -F "grant_type=password" -F "client_id=81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384" -F "client_secret=c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3" -F "email=xxxxxx@yyyy.zzz" -F "password=********" "https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token"

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just to make sure nothing got lost in copy/paste translation... your curl command line looks like this, right?

you may be right on it getting tripped up due to no vehicle yet. figured I would be prepared, but will wait and see what it does after delivery. (checked code and all is matching that you posted)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I've become as obsessed with my Teslafi data as the car itself ;)
but had an unexpected result I wanted to see if this happens, or is unusual...
On the freeway near my house, there are still 2 cross streets' lights (yeah, in the middle of a divided freeway). When the light is red, it takes quite some time to cycle thru all the directions (3-5 minutes). Today, Teslafi broke this into a route stop. So I have from my office to this intersection as one drive line (ending at 6:29p), then the intersection to my house as another (staring at 6:29p). Was sitting at the light in Drive with the brake on.
Does this happen often? can you combine drives in Teslafi? should I not worry about it?

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I've become as obsessed with my Teslafi data as the car itself ;)
but had an unexpected result I wanted to see if this happens, or is unusual...
On the freeway near my house, there are still 2 cross streets' lights (yeah, in the middle of a divided freeway). When the light is red, it takes quite some time to cycle thru all the directions (3-5 minutes). Today, Teslafi broke this into a route stop. So I have from my office to this intersection as one drive line (ending at 6:29p), then the intersection to my house as another (staring at 6:29p). Was sitting at the light in Drive with the brake on.
Does this happen often? can you combine drives in Teslafi? should I not worry about it?
You can indeed combine drives. At the right of the box for one of the drives in question, hit the little icon that looks like two arrows merging into one, with the arrowhead pointing to the right. That will take you to another page where you can select a second drive to combine with the first.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can indeed combine drives. At the right of the box for one of the drives in question, hit the little icon that looks like two arrows merging into one, with the arrowhead pointing to the right. That will take you to another page where you can select a second drive to combine with the first.
thanks!