Music volume spikes too high after mute or phone call

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

foo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you take a call or give the car a voice command, it mutes the audio while the call is in progress. However, when the call ends the music comes back "full force." I'm concerned this sudden spike might even damage a speaker. It would be really nice if the music would just ramp up from 0 to its previous volume ( let's say in 2 seconds.)

Has anyone else seen a thread on this? Has there been an enhancement request submitted?

Cheers,
Foo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree, it would be better to start the volume softly and ramp up to where it was, not start high and ramp down.
I haven't seen a thread, but I have submitted several bug reports on this. Any time music is muted, e.g. from a call or the mute button, volume comes on higher than where is was set and ramps down.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have not heard this on any of the 7 different firmwares I've been on so far. The sound has always returned at exactly the same volume it was prior to the interruption -- but it does return at once, not progressively (which is fine for me as I do not listen at really high volumes). It may feel like a "spike" to you, esp. if you had the music on high volume and the interruption was at low volume and lasted a few minutes, but the volume is no higher than before the interruption.

I agree it would be a nice feature to have a choice of resuming at the same volume, or resuming on a ramp up to the same volume.

PS. Note that "damaging the speakers" is not going to happen, even if it it abruptly gets you into the loudest heavy metal song at the loudest part at maximum volume -- you cannot overdrive the system that way. Your ears, however, might never recover from listening at that volume ;-)

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else have the issue where audio/music volume spikes immediately after a phone call? After the initial spike it levels out but I'm constantly worried it's gonna blow my speakers. I assumed it would be fixed with a firmware update, yet so far no such luck. Am I the only one having this issue?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yup I hate that bug.

I have a few apps on my iphone that play audio “as a phone call” and the bug happens all the time.

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for merging my post @mods so that it gets significantly less visibility. /s

Is one extra thread (worded and titled differently) really clogging the forum?

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for merging my post @mods so that it gets significantly less visibility. /s
I really don't understand why some people take such exception to moderator attempts to organize the forums.
  • Why would you want someone who is searching for this issue to have to look through several identical threads?
  • Adding your post to an existing thread on the subject also bumps that existing thread to the top, so that it gets significantly more visibility.
  • The people who have the same problem and originally posted in the thread can get notified that there are updates.
Is one extra thread (worded and titled differently) really clogging the forum?
I think the mere fact that you're worried about your particular post getting enough visibility answers that question.

Discloser: I was not the mod that moved your post, but it appears to have been the correct decision.

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really don't understand why some people take such exception to moderator attempts to organize the forums.
  • Why would you want someone who is searching for this issue to have to look through several identical threads?
  • Adding your post to an existing thread on the subject also bumps that existing thread to the top, so that it gets significantly more visibility.
  • The people who have the same problem and originally posted in the thread can get notified that there are updates.
I think the mere fact that you're worried about your particular post getting enough visibility answers that question.
I don't think I would click on this thread myself while browsing. The title, "Ramp volume on return from Mute," doesn't seem to relay the issue very cleanly (no offense, OP). IMO, my original title (something along the lines of, "Music volume spike after returning from phone call?") would do a better job at grabbing people's attention and recollecting an issue they may also have.

Discloser: I was not the mod that moved your post, but it appears to have been the correct decision.
Technically, sure, there's no reason not to combine the threads. But in practice, it's just over moderation...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think I would click on this thread myself while browsing. The title, "Ramp volume on return from Mute," doesn't seem to relay the issue very cleanly (no offense, OP). IMO, my original title (something along the lines of, "Music volume spike after returning from phone call?") would do a better job at grabbing people's attention and recollecting an issue they may also have.
Agreed. I can update the title. How about "Music volume spikes too high after mute or phone call"?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks to some fine posting, moderating, and topic rewording these two threads which I previously ignored were now noticed by me :)
And I can agree this has annoyed me several times.
I'm not sure it is really an overshoot but that your ears got used to the quieter volume of the voice, but a slower ramp would solve it.
I will note you can edit your navigation voice volume in the navigation gear icon.
Most of the time I experience this, though, is when Waze interrupts with an alert over a bluetooth voice call.
I realized I could adjust that volume higher by scrolling up in the short time of the announcement.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks to some fine posting, moderating, and topic rewording these two threads which I previously ignored were now noticed by me :)
And I can agree this has annoyed me several times.
I'm not sure it is really an overshoot but that your ears got used to the quieter volume of the voice, but a slower ramp would solve it.
I will note you can edit your navigation voice volume in the navigation gear icon.
Most of the time I experience this, though, is when Waze interrupts with an alert over a bluetooth voice call.
I realized I could adjust that volume higher by scrolling up in the short time of the announcement.
It’s not your ears got used to it.

It’s easy to measure/record it, if you want. It’s a very annoying bug.

On iOS you can set waze to come in as a “call”. This really exacerbates the problem. I run Google Maps and V1Driver the same way. So I have 3 apps that can switch to HFP and back for a short HFP alert and then get blasted by the radio momentarily returning to the wrong volume and then it corrects itself fairly quickly. But it depends on what you were listening to as to how much you jump out of your skin when it screws up. It does it every time.

Not sure if this is what you meant by alert over a Bluetooth phone call. Or you got a waze alert during a real phone call.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else have the issue where audio/music volume spikes immediately after a phone call? After the initial spike it levels out but I'm constantly worried it's gonna blow my speakers. I assumed it would be fixed with a firmware update, yet so far no such luck. Am I the only one having this issue?
I’m worried I’m gonna blow a speaker (or my ears) too. Sometimes it can be pretty nasty/startling.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s not your ears got used to it.

It’s easy to measure/record it, if you want. It’s a very annoying bug.

On iOS you can set waze to come in as a “call”. This really exacerbates the problem. I run Google Maps and V1Driver the same way. So I have 3 apps that can switch to HFP and back for a short HFP alert and then get blasted by the radio momentarily returning to the wrong volume and then it corrects itself fairly quickly. But it depends on what you were listening to as to how much you jump out of your skin when it screws up. It does it every time.

Not sure if this is what you meant by alert over a Bluetooth phone call. Or you got a waze alert during a real phone call.

Yes this is what I meant, unless you are already listening to your phone's music over bluetooth, Waze/Google Maps makes a "phone call" over bluetooth to interrupt a Car's audio to send nav instructions and alerts. And yes this is where this problem is the worst.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes this is what I meant, unless you are already listening to your phone's music over bluetooth, Waze/Google Maps makes a "phone call" over bluetooth to interrupt a Car's audio to send nav instructions and alerts. And yes this is where this problem is the worst.
Yeah, if you are already streaming over bluetooth from the phone the spontaneous app (e.g. Waze) does not invoke HFP. In fact, it can/will just do "Ducking" (lower the music while it speaks).
This is all decided by the phone itself and the car has no idea Waze just spoke on top of the music stream and it just looks like a single constant stream to the car.

So yeah, streaming music from your phone would avoid this bug. Unless you get a real phone call. Not sure what happens there. I don't get that many calls. It's the apps like waze that is annoying with this bug.

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think (fingers crossed) this has been fixed in 50.6? I was calling someone and hanging up like 6 times in a row trying to test it...I didn't notice the spike, but wasn't sure if it was due to different music, call/music volumes, etc.

I also rebooted the car/tablet the other day for the first time since I got it in September. Which was servicehelpna@tesla.com's suggestion last week but I didn't try it at the time because I didn't think it would have any effect. Maybe they forwarded the email to the engineers like I asked...

Anyone else on 50.6 still having the issue?

Last edited:

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think (fingers crossed) this has been fixed in 50.6? I was calling someone and hanging up like 6 times in a row trying to test it...I didn't notice the spike, but wasn't sure if it was due to different music, call/music volumes, etc. I also rebooted the car/tablet the other day for the first time since I got it in September. Which was servicehelpna@tesla.com's suggestion last week but I didn't try it at the time because I didn't think it would have any effect. Maybe they forwarded the email to the engineers like I asked...

Anyone else on 50.6 still having the issue?
Wow, good catch. I think you’re right, it is fixed.

Whoo hoo. I hated that bug.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm, I’m not sure that it is fixed. I got 50.6 this eeek and I’m pretty sure I was still getting this. But will pay attention.

It was annoying AF.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I could trigger it at will with an app that uses hands free protocol. It’s definitely fixed for me on 50.6 and I could reproduce it without even making a call which is why I found it so annoying. Calls were the least of the problem. I run 3 apps that use HFP (same as a phone call when enabled) on iOS with Google Maps, Waze and V1Driver. I jumped out of my skin constantly if any of these apps announced anything. And V1Driver automatically starts as soon as the car wakes up.