Music Streaming

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

DennisP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The bright side of all the audio control issues is fixes are just a good software update away. The system itself sounds fantastic when given quality input - tracks via USB are amazing, at least to my non-audiophile ears. So I'll deal with the playing limitations for now (not that I have a choice...) and keep my fingers crossed that "Tesla" understands our frustrations and has improvements on the way.... :p

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The bright side of all the audio control issues is fixes are just a good software update away. The system itself sounds fantastic when given quality input - tracks via USB are amazing, at least to my non-audiophile ears. So I'll deal with the playing limitations for now (not that I have a choice...) and keep my fingers crossed that "Tesla" understands our frustrations and has improvements on the way.... :p
I've heard some of the usability issues have been complained about for years on the Model S. Remember they were promised FSD years ago too.
I'll try to be optimistic.

One obvious bug that drives me crazy is the radio volume goes way up for a couple seconds after a phone call ends. I typically already have it up loud and then it goes crazy loud.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not in love with Slacker or Tune-In but it gets the job done. Sure, it would be better if they integrated some more popular options and maybe they will at some point.

What I'd LOVE to see is Google Assistant integration. I don't think it's likely to ever happen but it would be a match made in heaven.
I've owned two cars now (Volt and Jetta) where a long-press of the "phone" or "voice" button (in Tesla's case the right scroll wheel), would get you Siri/GoogleAssistant via bluetooth. You're 100% correct that doing that would solve about 70% of the issues I have with the infotainment system.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've owned two cars now (Volt and Jetta) where a long-press of the "phone" or "voice" button (in Tesla's case the right scroll wheel), would get you Siri/GoogleAssistant via bluetooth. You're 100% correct that doing that would solve about 70% of the issues I have with the infotainment system.
It's not exactly the same, but noted before maybe in a different thread. What you mention works just almost exactly like you want it to. If your phone is somewhere within your voice (not in your hip pocket) all you have to do is press the right steering wheel button. When the car starts listening say Hey Siri or just give Siri your command. It's really just a trick, the car doesn't know the command or what to do with it and it will just discard the command and return to normal, however your phone will get the Hey Siri/command and respond over the car audio system. You now have your wish of Siri and can interact through the car audio completely hands free.

Last edited:

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not exactly the same, but noted before maybe in a different thread. What you mention works just almost exactly like you want it to. If your phone is somewhere within your voice (not in your hip pocket) all you have to do is press the right steering wheel button. When the car starts listening say Hey Siri or just give Siri your command. It's really just a trick, the car doesn't know the command or what to do with it and it will just discard the command and return to normal, however your phone will get the Hey Siri/command and respond over the car audio system. You now have your wish of Siri and can interact through the car audio completely hands free.
Yeah, I know this trick. My phone lives in my front pocket unless I am using it. And so with the sensor covered, it will not respond to "Hey Siri".

Am I just in the minority here that I don't pull my phone out and put it in the dash/cup holder every time I get in the car??

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I know this trick. My phone lives in my front pocket unless I am using it. And so with the sensor covered, it will not respond to "Hey Siri".

Am I just in the minority here that I don't pull my phone out and put it in the dash/cup holder every time I get in the car??
Mine stays in the charging dock. And I use Siri a lot.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you take that extra step because you want to use Siri or you just always do that for some reason?
I have always removed both my phone and my wallet when I get in the car. I'm more comfortable with empty pockets and decades ago my chiropractor recommended that I always remove the wallet. I also pass the time on long trips by thinking of stupid questions to ask Siri. Somebody at Apple has spent hours unknown preparing Siri for customers like me who have a warped sense of humor!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I typically carry my phone in my back pocket. Since it doesn't like to unlock the car from there, I always pull it out of my pocket, unlock and get it, and yes it either goes in the cup holder or on occasion on the charger, but I rarely charge in the car unless a long journey.

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have always removed both my phone and my wallet when I get in the car. I'm more comfortable with empty pockets and decades ago my chiropractor recommended that I always remove the wallet. I also pass the time on long trips by thinking of stupid questions to ask Siri. Somebody at Apple has spent hours unknown preparing Siri for customers like me who have a warped sense of humor!
I use a front-pocket wallet on right side and iPhone lives in left-front pocket. No removal necessary. It's irks me a little because on my previous cars I never had to remove my phone - steering wheel button got me Siri. Just kinda shocked Tesla doesn't do that - I could understand it if their voice assistant was on-par, but I can't even dial a specific contact number with it (i.e., "Call Bob Smith Work") without having to manually select from the screen

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm more concerned about finding some of my AM talk radio shows. Most of these AM stations were powerful and worked within large range. The cloned FM stations tend to be very weak...

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, Dog Mode does not allow you to leave the music on. I would like to select the Tesla Dog channel of the most popular Tesla dog music.
Is there any way at all to leave the music playing while no one is in the car? This drives me a bit nuts as sometimes I want to use the car as a stereo when I'm cleaning one of the cars or working in the garage.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah that does work, but that's obviously not ideal for a lot of reasons!
But you asked "is there any way at all".

If you're close enough to the car to be able to hear the music, then what's wrong with leaving a door slightly ajar?
I assume the windows are open already, right?