Music Streaming

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

epmenard

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't get it. I hear everywhere people praising the M3 streaming service but I just can't get it to work like any basic music app on the planet. Here are a few real life scenarios that I just can't seem to figure out. Am I not getting something? How do the rest of you do it?

1. I want to listen to an album. Streaming service plays the first song of the album but then the next song is by another artist completely.

2. I want to search for songs by album...I can find the album I'm looking for, but can't see any of its songs.

3. I want to look for a song by an artist. If I put both the artist and the song name, search returns empty. If I just search for the song and the song name is a common word, I get a ton of unrelated songs and can't find the right one. Say I want to listen to a version of Summertime...there's probably no less than a thousand versions. I'm driving, I should be focusing on the road, not losing my attention to a complex and unintuitive app!

4. Voice search absolutely doesn't work (partly my responsibility I guess). I live in Quebec where street names and locations are obviously in french. Navigation butchers street names if I set it in english (try saying "École de technologie supérieure ÉTS" or "rue du Cap-à-l'Aigle" and see if you can fare better). So I need french navigation for obvious reasons and voice command doesn't recognize any word I say, whether it be in french or english. If I can't make a phone call, forget requesting for any song by title.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I marked your post as informative as there is some interesting information about how well the voice recognition works being in a multi-lingual area like you are.

Slacker definitely has some drawbacks. It won't play an album at all. That is more Spotify's thing. It also won't repeat songs (you can't play the same song twice in a row) and many other limitations.

In the US the voice recognition has always been good for me and Slacker will play most any song or artist I ask for, even if using my Southern accent.

I hope they can improve the recognition, but will say likely due to your location and the way Slacker works, most of your complaints are both founded and likely won't have a resolution any time soon.

Last edited:

Flashgj

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I agree, slacker radio and smart phone integration just plainly sucks on any Tesla. Hopefully Tesla will do something about it, but I am not holding my breath!

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Slacker account Tesla provides (and presumably pays for) is a mid-tier one that allows us commercial-free listening and unlimited ability to skip tracks. However, it does not allow us to play entire albums. It will usually play a particular track when asked, unless that track has been played recently, in which case it will play something similar. Your requested track will usually show up within the next 5-10 songs.

To get full albums and unlimited singles-as-requested, you need to sign up for a premium Slacker account. I believe it's $10 per month. I have not done so but I have heard that to get full albums on the Tesla system, you need to first create the album as a playlist on your computer or other free-standing device.

I agree that French voice recognition isn't the greatest, though for you, at least, I think that Québécois voice navigation is coming soon, via an announced update. (I am in Atlanta and don't expect that it will be offered to us French speakers south of the border.)

I have had luck finding French music by typing in the song or artist I want to hear. Less elegant than voice recognition but still pretty good. The catalogue is surprisingly robust... Many of my favorite tubes from the 80s and 90s are available.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, Slacker is not real good. Just to see what was up, I signed up for Slacker Premium, and the biggest difference I noticed is that if you create a station based on an artist, on Premium, that station will only play that artist unless you go to the Slacker website and manipulate the station to play other artists. The base account doesn't allow single artist stations. The one thing I did want in the Premium feature set was Play on Demand. However, Play on Demand doesn't work with Tesla. I asked Slacker why not, and they said Tesla opted not to support it.

Last edited:

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think OP's expectations were too high. Tesla's streaming service was never meant to offer premium features like full albums on demand. Also want to clarify I don't see any praises for Tesla's streaming service, only for the quality of the audio system. The streaming service and features were pretty much dumped on all over.

Slacker comes in 3 formats like Pandora:
1. Free: streams randomly with commercials
2. Plus: this is what our Teslas come with, but it uses its own account that you cannot modify using Slacker's interface
3. Premium: on-demand, but not fully functional with Tesla's interface

That being said, there are also some features that a regular Slacker Plus account has that is not implemented in the Tesla's Slacker account. When using my own account, I really liked how Slacker lets me create custom stations by adding artists. However, once you have multiple artists in a station, it becomes a custom station, and Tesla's interface does not let you select the custom stations. You only get Favorites, Genres, and other Slacker's own stations.

Slacker also allow banning certain artists to not play on a custom station via its web interface. This is also not doable with Tesla's account since they don't provide us the credentials to make customizations via web login.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Slacker is decent but nothing special for sure. Best bet is Bluetooth from your phone for now and hope Tesla goes with Spotify when their contract with Slacker is up for renewal

Last edited:

epmenard

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Compared to Spotify or Apple Music, then you can say it sucks... Compared to FM radio it's great!
No DJ's with contests every 5 minutes, no commercials, just music!
From someone coming from a car with just FM radio, it's a big step forward.
But now who's going to let me know they're the number one station!?!

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Slacker is decent but nothing special for sure. Best best is Bluetooth off your phone for now and hope Tesla goes with Spotify when their contract with Slacker is up for renewal
Provided they implement all of Spotify's features into the UI. Otherwise we'd still be better off using our phones and Bluetooth.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm with @Hollywood7 above. Beats the hell out of radio. I'm probably an outlier here and certainly no audiophile, but I love the Tesla sound system and have enjoyed Slacker for the last 7 months. It does a nice job of predicting my listening likes. I've heard a lot of music that I had completely forgotten about and it seems to update to a new lineup occasionally. I'll happily take streaming as it is.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, I agree, slacker radio and smart phone integration just plainly sucks on any Tesla. Hopefully Tesla will do something about it, but I am not holding my breath!
My guess is Tesla doesn't want to pay any licensing fees for any services other than Slacker in the car. Because honestly, for as good as the UI is in most areas, for infotaiment it totally SUCKS.

Maybe we should all go on a twitter campaign and bombard Elon with complaints about how bad streaming / voice command / smartphone integration is. A freaking Honda Civic has better smartphone integration. We need a catchy hashtag, though. What should we call it? I lack creativity...

I'm with @Hollywood7 above. Beats the hell out of radio. I'm probably an outlier here and certainly no audiophile, but I love the Tesla sound system and have enjoyed Slacker for the last 7 months. It does a nice job of predicting my listening likes. I've heard a lot of music that I had completely forgotten about and it seems to update to a new lineup occasionally. I'll happily take streaming as it is.
Meh, I stream it through the various stations and find it VERY repetitive and not at all looking outside of the box. Seems like it plays the same 50 songs in each category.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually like the Tesla slacker account. I’ve discovered a lot of new artists to listen to. If I’m in the mood for albums, I’ll switch to USB. :)
It's not bad, but Tesla's UI doesn't allow full functionality of Slacker. Not being able to access Custom Stations is a huge bummer imo.

I also find Pandora's algorithm to be better than Slacker's. One example is if I make a Lord Finesse station, Big L songs never show up, and they're very related artists.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meh, I stream it through the various stations and find it VERY repetitive and not at all looking outside of the box. Seems like it plays the same 50 songs in each category.
I feel like all the streaming services have this issue. Ones I've used are Pandora, Google Play Music, Spotify, and Slacker. Pandora imo has the best variety, being able to customize stations is a big help.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not bad, but Tesla's UI doesn't allow full functionality of Slacker. Not being able to access Custom Stations is a huge bummer imo.

I also find Pandora's algorithm to be better than Slacker's. One example is if I make a Lord Finesse station, Big L songs never show up, and they're very related artists.
Could it be that the fact that I've never heard, nor heard of, Lord Finesse or Big L and the fact that I'm happy with Slacker be related in some way??:confused:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually like the Tesla slacker account. I’ve discovered a lot of new artists to listen to. If I’m in the mood for albums, I’ll switch to USB. :)
I agree. I've been happy with it. But unlike a lot of people, I think my preferred way to listen to music just happens to match what Slacker offers. I've "liked" several songs, and I usually just leave it on the "Liked" channel. This will play those songs plus songs that slacker deems similar. This is basically what I want - my own personal radio station with no commercials. I love it.

Every once in a while, I'll think of a song that I want to hear (yesterday, it was Little Sheba by 38 Special). I tell slacker to play it, and then I'll listen to the next several songs to see if there's anything else closely related that I'd like to add to my Like list.

If I actually want to listen to a particular album or songs by a single artist, then I switch to my phone.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
during all of this, how has nobody brought up the TuneIn issue of some stations constantly having loading issues? Slacker may not be perfect and as customizable as some want, but it does play reliably 100% of the time. multiple of my saved TuneIn stations fail 90% of the time.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i'm echoing @garsh and @JustTheTip. i use it as a radio replace with a "theme" so if I search out the eagles I get "Eagles Radio" with every 2nd or 3rd song by them and the others are "related". it can be interesting or annoying depending if I really want that particular cup of tea and not a "mix of dead leaf in hot water that may or may not resemble tea"

bearing that in mind, i now listen to more genre stations like "100 best new wave" or "Acid Jazz" because I expect those to be a mix and that is what I get. And my kids never seem to tire of "Kids Classics"

All, and I mean all, the daytime Jazz is gone from Radio out here in Vancouver BC (and most of the classical) so the Tesla has been a good return to cool licks and hot rubber drives home.