Multiple Home Chargers

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Currently I have a Chargepoint Home Charger and when I get my Model 3 I plan on getting a the Tesla home charger so both my cars can have level 2 charging at home. However, as I have no free space left in my electrical panel, I want them both on the same circuit with power sharing. As the Tesla chargers allow for power sharing between multiple Tesla chargers, does anyone know if I can use the Tesla home charger to power share with my Chargepoint home charger?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Currently I have a Chargepoint Home Charger and when I get my Model 3 I plan on getting a the Tesla home charger so both my cars can have level 2 charging at home. However, as I have no free space left in my electrical panel, I want them both on the same circuit with power sharing. As the Tesla chargers allow for power sharing between multiple Tesla chargers, does anyone know if I can use the Tesla home charger to power share with my Chargepoint home charger?
I would be very impressed if communication between chargers of different brands was standardized enough to allow power sharing between them. Hopefully, someone will chime in and impress me but I doubt it.

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As my panel board is currently full, my electrician said I would need to power share. But what you suggest is that for instance I use a tandem circuit and combine my plugs in slot 24 and 28 into slot 24 and the plugs slot 26 and 30 into 26 thereby freeing up slots 28 and 30 to create another 240 V.

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can I use a Tesla home charger with a non-Tesla car? Is there an adaptor? This way I would install 2 tesla chargers and power share the two of them on the same circuit and just get rid of my Chargepoint charger

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can I use a Tesla home charger with a non-Tesla car? Is there an adaptor? This way I would install 2 tesla chargers and power share the two of them on the same circuit and just get rid of my Chargepoint charger
That would work, yes. But each Tesla Wall Connector is $500, and the only Tesla-to-J1772 adapters available are made by third parties, and cost a couple hundred dollars. Example:
JDapter Stub, $239

It would be significantly cheaper to pay an electrician to replace a few breakers in your panel, add a 240v circuit, and use your existing Chargepoint EVSE with your existing non-Tesla EV.

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The electrician is doing an assessment but they say that for ESA standards, to calculate max amps in house, they need to assume the each Level 2 charger is on all time so they are trying to determine if I will exceed 200 Amps - if so, the cost was for $1200-$1500 to add some power share type module

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, that won't work.

Instead, replace two of your smaller circuit breakers with tandem circuit breakers. That will leave enough room to add another 240v circuit.
https://structuretech1.com/tandem-circuit-breakers/

The electrician is recommending i install a pony panel instead of tandem breakers. They say the time to move the 4 breakers into 2 tandem could be a lot work to determine circuit loads etc. I’m just worried they want to do the more expensive option. Any advice would be appreciated.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The electrician is recommending i install a pony panel instead of tandem breakers. They say the time to move the 4 breakers into 2 tandem could be a lot work to determine circuit loads etc. I’m just worried they want to do the more expensive option. Any advice would be appreciated.
I don't understand his concern about figuring out loads when moving to tandem breakers. As long as each breaker is rated the same as the original being replaced, there should be no real difference. But perhaps something got lost in translation between him telling you, and you telling me. I do agree with him that moving four circuits to different breakers could be a pain. There's usually not a whole lot of "slack" in the wires within a panel for moving things around.

A sub-panel is a great choice. It should be easier than moving four existing circuits to new tandem breakers. Plus you may be able to have the sub-panel include some additional unused slots for future expansion. I'd say that this solution is much better than my "tandem-breaker" solution.

If you're worried about price, get an estimate from two or more electricians.

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't understand his concern about figuring out loads when moving to tandem breakers. As long as each breaker is rated the same as the original being replaced, there should be no real difference. But perhaps something got lost in translation between him telling you, and you telling me. I do agree with him that moving four circuits to different breakers could be a pain. There's usually not a whole lot of "slack" in the wires within a panel for moving things around.

A sub-panel is a great choice. It should be easier than moving four existing circuits to new tandem breakers. Plus you may be able to have the sub-panel include some additional unused slots for future expansion. I'd say that this solution is much better than my "tandem-breaker" solution.

i've got another electrician coming today to give options. My existing electrician was very much sub panel only (so I do have expansion for later) so I was just worried they were trying to just "upsell"

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So I had another electrician come in and they are also not in favour of adding tandem breakers. They think the best think to do would be to add a 100 amp panel in my garage and hook both charges to that and that panel would be exclusive to the 2 chargers. He also discourage a sub panel for the chargers but to leave room for a subpanel if we needed it for other things in our house. Its all getting a bit "fun:"

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing the electrician is talking about balancing the circuits/loads?

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing the electrician is talking about balancing the circuits/loads?

I'm being told they do not know how long it will take to determine how to redo my circuits to meet esa standards, etc. I had two different companies look at it and both said a sub panel is my option. So it adds $1000 but not much i can do.