Multiple Errors: Traction Control / Cruise / Regen / Emergency Braking Disabled

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
[Mod note: multiple threads about seeing several error messages at once due to issues with the 12V battery have been merged. See post #9 for a more typical scenario.]

yesterday, i started driving and noticed that the regenerative braking wasn't working and the above warnings were cycling through with the orange swerving car icon at the top right was lit (see very crude ig story screenshot).

i drove home very conservatively and just charged it when i got home. this morning, everything was back to normal. i still scheduled an appointment for tomorrow so we shall see what the issue was.

has this happened to anyone else??

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got this tonight. Just fro ve home and put in garage and hoping it’ll clear up tomorrow. What firmware are you on? I’m on 18.3 now.

Last edited:

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m hoping. Yup, I did the reboot, nothing.

I’ll plug in “Fluffy” tonight and hope it miraculously Wolverine’s itself by tomorrow morning.

Did you ever go to your appointment and did the errors ever come back then clear again or was it just that one time?

Update 1:
I plugged in M3 last night to charge and this morning errors are gone. I might have to rename it Logan or Wolverine. So maybe just a bug. I’ll report back if it pops up again.

On a lighter note, my Kagu floor mats came in and they fit very nicely.

Update 2:
I drove all day yesterday and the error has not reappeared. Hopefully it was just just some sort of re calibration on the systems part from the 18.3 update.

Last edited:

telero

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Had this same error twice now. Sunday afternoon around 3pm while heading to a friends house, just after taking a left hand turn. Parked there and when we left about an hour and a half later it was back to normal.

Second time was this evening. Similar situation, taking a left hand turn and then noticed there was no regenerative braking, and started getting the error messages. Was close to home this time so went to park and backed in and in the backup camera the steering lines were curved all the way to the right, no matter what direction the steering wheel was turned. Parked and used the menu to power the car off, then turned it back on and the error messages were still there. Used the 2-scroll button reset and the errors cleared upon reboot.

This was with the 18.3 update pending, but not yet installed. Have now installed 18.3, but not driven yet.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had this same error twice now. Sunday afternoon around 3pm while heading to a friends house, just after taking a left hand turn. Parked there and when we left about an hour and a half later it was back to normal.

Second time was this evening. Similar situation, taking a left hand turn and then noticed there was no regenerative braking, and started getting the error messages. Was close to home this time so went to park and backed in and in the backup camera the steering lines were curved all the way to the right, no matter what direction the steering wheel was turned. Parked and used the menu to power the car off, then turned it back on and the error messages were still there. Used the 2-scroll button reset and the errors cleared upon reboot.

This was with the 18.3 update pending, but not yet installed. Have now installed 18.3, but not driven yet.
I installed and drove maybe 150 miles before I got the "fun" error. I've just driven another 130 and it hasn't come back yet. So that's a plus.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same experience last night. Backing the car into the garage, got the same set of warnings, and the curved lines on the backup camera that telero saw. This morning, everything was fine. I'm on 18.3, and called tesla today. They promised to pull logs and call me back, but haven't yet.

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this about a month ago. Tried resetting several times with Tesla on the phone and would not clear. It did however clear on its own later that same day.
They scheduled a service appointment for a week later and when I got there they told me it would need a part which they would order and call me back (I believe they said it was a sensor in the steering wheel)

Still haven’t heard back from them and the error has never returned.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi everyone. Sorry that my first contribution is a somewhat negative one, but thought people would want to know. We got our Model 3 on May 25th (LR, PUP, but no EAP) and everything was good. I'm not a "car guy", but the car looked to be in great shape, no panel gaps, paint looked good, etc. A bit of a learning curve for me to learn one-pedal driving and getting used to the regen, but I was expecting that.

Last night I was driving on the highway (I-25 between Castle Rock and Highlands Ranch, CO) going 75 using "regular" cruise control (since we don't have EAP) and suddenly alerts started popping up.

"Automatic Emergency Braking is not available" (or maybe it said disabled, but I think not available)
"Cruise Control is not available"
"Steering assist is not available"
"Traction control is not available"
"Air bags are not available"
"Call service" - I could figure that one out on my own :)

We were about a mile from our exit. I could tell the steering was a little sluggish but otherwise the car felt drive-able. When we took the exit and I used the brakes, they were pretty wonky. Making noises and pumping up and down on their own, but we were able to stop. Drove a little bit to get to a parking lot with the breaks acting the same. Got to the parking lot, put it in Park, and called roadside assistance.

They agreed that the car needed to be towed in (luckily we live only 10 or so miles from the Littleton Service Center) and dispatched a tow truck. Not thinking ahead I had pulled in front-wise, so I thought the car was safe enough to try to turn it around. Put it into drive and basically had no steering, I was able to barely move the wheels at all, so ended up doing about a 50-point turn :) to get it nose out.

The tow truck arrived in less than 30 minutes and the driver knew what he was doing (this was even his third Model 3 - one wreck, one scratch where they didn't want to put any miles on it, and mine). But then the car wouldn't stay in Transport Mode. We put it in Transport Mode and he started to pull it on his flatbed, but then the car honked. We could get it into Transport Mode (blue), but it would automatically exit after about 15-20 seconds. Tried a bunch of times with no luck.

So we called Tesla back and they decided they needed to send a truck from a different company that had the capability to basically jack the car up, put a dolly underneath, and get it on the flatbed (the company that was there didn't have that). So had to wait about an hour or so for the next truck.

When they got there they also tried Transport Mode. Still wouldn't work. Then they decided to try to use it anyway, thinking that if it would stay in Transport Mode for 20 seconds they could pull it for 20 seconds, then stop, put it back in Transport Mode, then repeat until it was on the truck (there were two of them). They tried that two or three times but it wasn't working (was dragging the back of the car - yes, I was cringing). Then instead of using the jack/dolly system, they just shoved "skates" under the rear wheels and drug the car on the flatbed. I was cringing again, but supposedly this is okay. Finally got the car towed away and went home.

Obviously, not the best experience 10 days or so in. The good news is that Tesla and the tow drivers were very nice and very helpful. Just got a call a few minutes ago this morning from the service center saying they had my car and we went over what happened. The guy I talked to (who is not a technician) thinks it's probably some kind of communication problem and they'll just have to identify where the problem is, but we'll see. Unfortunately, they are pretty busy so it may be a few days. They are out of loaners but offered to get me a rental car (I'm okay for today and probably tomorrow, then will take them up on it if necessary).

I'll update this thread when they start working on it and when we know something, but thought others would want to be made aware. One thing I'm wondering about is my own level of trust at this point. Everyone on this forum probably knows and appreciates the benefits of having a car that is so much software-based, but it was a little disconcerting going 75 mph and having that happen. If the steering had gone straight to the inability to turn the wheels I experienced in the parking lot, combined with the reduced braking capability, that obviously would've been not so good. So while I fully anticipate they will fix it and I'll probably never experience another problem, I do wonder how long it will take for me to feel fully "comfortable" with it (if that makes any sense).

Attachments

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That really sounds like my worst fears about driving a computer-controlled vehicle. I just returned from a 2000+ mile road trip in Blanche. There were no issues at all of the type you described. Blanche does have EAP, and I used it about 90% of the time. There were a small number of times that EAP got confused, but none of them were dangerous.

As garsh said, please keep us updated. Once TESLA completes the service, I'm quite confident that your Model 3 will be as reliable as Blanche has been.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Monday night update: still don't have the car. Get a nice text message each day telling me it's going to "go into tomorrow"... hopefully something good will happen tomorrow.

Now doesn't that feel better? :D Seriously, I'm sorry for your pain, and please update us when you know the full story.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: still no joy. They still can’t find/replicate the problem. They are installing a “black box” - called a “memomater” (no idea if that’s how you spell it, but that’s what it sounded like) - that apparently records more data somehow and are hoping that will help.

They indicated that if they still can’t find the issue they may give it back to me as is. Not completely sure how I feel about that.

Makaryo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They indicated that if they still can’t find the issue they may give it back to me as is. Not completely sure how I feel about that.
It is disconcerting that they would return the car to you not knowing what caused the problem. I had a mechanical failure in my car. They replaced the part and they are still investigating what caused the failure. Talk to the service manager about your concern.

verygooddog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: still no joy. They still can’t find/replicate the problem. They are installing a “black box” - called a “memomater” (no idea if that’s how you spell it, but that’s what it sounded like) - that apparently records more data somehow and are hoping that will help.

I am disappointed that Tesla couldn't figure this out, but it's part of the nature of intermittent problems. It can be very difficult to diagnose a problem when it's not present. Let's hope that the black box will find the issues quickly. Definitely appreciate your updates.

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I had a similar experience on Saturday. Started driving to the store and got the AEB and traction control disabled messages. I quickly discovered that regenerative breaking was not working as well. Rebooted the UI, but that made no difference. Drove carefully to the store and parked. We went in to shop and when we came out about 15 minutes later, the problem was gone. Hasn't reappeared. Chalked it up to a ghost in the machine. I haven't contacted service about it. Perhaps I should, so they at least know your problem was not unique.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I had a similar experience on Saturday. Started driving to the store and got the AEB and traction control disabled messages. I quickly discovered that regenerative breaking was not working as well. Rebooted the UI, but that made no difference. Drove carefully to the store and parked. We went in to shop and when we came out about 15 minutes later, the problem was gone. Hasn't reappeared. Chalked it up to a ghost in the machine. I haven't contacted service about it. Perhaps I should, so they at least know your problem was not unique.
Interesting. Yes, perhaps at least report it so they can compare the data?