Multicoat Red Bumper Colour Matching Issue

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
So I've had the unfortunate experience of having my front bumper replaced and hood repainted (by an authorized Tesla repair shop up here in Vancouver BC). The hood is a 100% match to the fenders and rest of car, but unfortunately the bumper colour is not. It is lighter in daylight and bright lights like in my garage. In flat (overcast) light it's not as noticable, but I can still see the difference. I know Elon already tweeted about the multicoat red being incredible hard to get right, but am I within my rights to demand a solution for this (a respray) ??? or is this as good as it gets? Anybody else had a bumper replaced/repainted? Here is a pic:
model3redbumper-png.16771

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did they spray the bumper separately?
They should have sprayed it on the car and blended the paint into the adjacent panels.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry to hear that, you should get in contact with Tesla and show them the picture, better yet take the car to the service centre and show them the car in bright sunlight. They will make it right for you!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry to hear that, you should get in contact with Tesla and show them the picture, better yet take the car to the service centre and show them the car in bright sunlight. They will make it right for you!
Tesla did not facilitate this work though, it was from wreck repair. While Tesla corporate should know this was the result from one of their recommended bodyshops, I don't think the local Service Center can do anything.

@shawn_ - are you sure they repainted the hood, and didn't just remove the dent paintlessly?

Country
Country
Just to follow up on this ... I spoke to the bodyshop manager and they are going to have a look at it. I have to take it back to them anyways to get the autopilot re-calibrated so they will look at it then. I just wanted to post it here to see if anybody else had this issue.

@shawn_ - are you sure they repainted the hood, and didn't just remove the dent paintlessly?
I am with Mel on this. Multi coat red is by far the most difficult paint to match in the entire Tesla lineup. Mucho tints in the mixture, each lot of the base and tints varying by manufacturer and lot and the shop mixing it, multi coats = multi variants within the product itself, multi-coat = multi style/techniques and equipment (paint guns) of the employee blowing the paint, along with varying environments temperature/paint booth/humidity all make for an extremely difficult duplication challange. Also, with the red being the most affected by sun, any red car that is sun baked at work or at home can never be matched and must be blended into adjoining panels vs. terminating at a seam. A shop can attempt to tweak the tint but they can’t adjust for a never ending continuum of varying sun fade from top surfaces down the sides. Since all 3s are relatively new, and the shop nailing the hood match and then shooting the bumper cover in what appears to be a completely different color and not the same color but with a flex agent has me very suspicious that your hood was actually re-shot. Certainly, they can do a much better job with your bumper cover. Personally, I would also be troubled that the that shop tried to push that horrific paint work past you. Too much of a fusspot here to go to a body shop just because they are a Tesla “certified” shop especially for minor body and paint work. And don’t get me started :tearsofjoy:on a claim of same day “real” (a frunk latch adjustment hardly constitutes a body shop repair) body repair with a one hour goal.

Good-luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Sun

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did the paint shop ad the flex material to the paint for the flexible bumper cover? It can give a slight color change.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
wait just one second! You installed the front license plate? I thought we were all taking a stand on that- hate to ruin the aesthetics:cool:

Country
Country
Got my car back from the shop on Friday ... bumper is FIXED! Perfect match now. The shop had to call in a Tesla Paint Rep, who spent 2 days working the issue. On the first repair they did NOT paint the hood, and they did paint the bumper separately and somehow didn't notice the issue when the bumper was reinstalled. The root of the problem according to the shop and the Tesla rep was that my original factory paint job did not have enough paint on the front half of the car. So the shop repainted the whole front of my car and blended it in so that it matches perfectly. Here is the pic.
model3fixed-jpg.17436

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Got my car back from the shop on Friday ... bumper is FIXED! Perfect match now. The shop had to call in a Tesla Paint Rep, who spend 2 days working the issue. On the first repair they did NOT paint the hood, and they did paint the bumper separately and somehow didn't notice the issue when the bumper was reinstalled. The root of the problem according to the shop and the Tesla rep was that my original factory paint job did not have enough paint on the front half of the car. So the shop repainted the whole front of my car and blended it in so that it matches perfectly.
Awesome! I'm glad they were able to make this right for you. That looks great!