Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Mud guards for gravel and winter conditions

45K views 174 replies 38 participants last post by  dsgerbc 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I ordered these. The guy lives like 20mins from my place, is a Tesla enthousiast, love them and prepares fixes and parts because of our hard winter. He does anti-rust treatments and little tweaks as well. He is also the same that did the youtube video with all the sand falling from the protective rear panel.

Not as sexy as the carbon fiber ones you linked but these cover the inside of the wheel and offer more protection.

it`s 150$ CAD (about115$ USD)

https://antirouillebolduc.com/product/garde-boues-tesla-model-3/

#4 ·
I bought the ones from protect my tesla and returned them. To thin, finished on one side, not enough coverage.

Appreciate @parc2407 sharing, but I'm not to keen about that style from Antiroulle, they just look like they are cut from a flat piece of plastic to my eyes. They do look like they would protect the sides though.

Any comments on how much they cost you in range?

I'm surprised there isn't more choices.

Perhaps if MaxPider came up with something creative, I might bite.

#6 ·
I ordered these. The guy lives like 20mins from my place, is a Tesla enthousiast...
Thx for sharing. Can you PM me or post his email address (in a forum bot unfriendly way)? I tried using their contact link but dont want to install some contact app just to ask a question.

#8 ·
wish Tesla had flared the wheel well out to avoid needing these but my car in socal has a lot of debris damage behind tires after the rain, I could only imagine you guys out in snow states.

Reactions: Mike
#11 ·
Perscitus
Just go to his website: https://antirouillebolduc.com/ e-mail is at the top: info "at" antirouillebolduc.com
Eric the owner is ususally quick to answer He has a new version by the way, the standard "North" he was selling and now the "California" Edition smaller
Thanks, yes his website's mobile mode needs some work (the info that's front center via w regular browser is missing).
I've exchanged a few emails with Eric and we're cooking up a third version (hybrid between the North and California).
Lets call it Paint.NET/Photochop edition (for now).

#10 ·
I haven't seen either model installed in person, but that first one from protectmytesla would throw up a serious red flag for me based on how it's only secured with one fastener and double sided tape. I wouldn't expect that to last several years, and the DIY installer might have some trouble getting that tape just right without looking bad and/or collecting debris on the adhesive over time.
The other one from Canada looks like a much more secure install, albeit not as sexy as the carbon fiber model.

#17 ·
Any comments on how much they cost you in range?
It's a lot more than you would intuitively think!

To my eye, a large part of the beauty of the Model 3 is the way it slices through the air with minimal disruption (Cd of 0.22, I believe). Adding mudflaps is an aerodynamic abomination. I regularly drive a nasty road to the local ski area that is covered in the most awful sand/gravel that is hard and sharp like glass but I'll deal with the slow erosion of the painted finish by repainting, if and when necessary. Because even the largest mudflaps with the most coverage are not going to solve the problem, only reduce it in certain areas while the turbulent air will move some of the problem to a new area.

#25 · (Edited)
Back on topic guys..... Coming soon - the Northeast/Midwest edition... a collaborative effort and the third option to join the existing California and North editions!

Samples uploaded:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Varnish

#26 ·
Thanks, yes his website's mobile mode needs some work (the info that's front center via w regular browser is missing).
I've exchanged a few emails with Eric and we're cooking up a third version (hybrid between the North and California).
Lets call it Paint.NET/Photochop edition (for now).
I take it you are refering to the "mid west" version?

I'm certain I'm going to buy a set, the question is the small (California) or medium (mid west)........

#27 ·
Correct. It became what is now the Mid West flavor. ETA on first sets 4-5 weeks. I will install it sometime thereafter.

#30 ·
Any pictures of the carbon parts withe tires installed at different angles? Thought purchase site had more before but don't see other angles or tires any more.

#31 ·
As I ponder this addition........

Instead of the clip and screw at the top of (each) flap, I'm thinking of using the same style of body trim clip as used for the two other connection points.

My reasons:

1. The folded edge of the metal clip that comes with each flap (for the screw at the top connection point) could/could end up rubbing the sheet metal from the back side of the sheet metal lip, and

2. I would contemplate using these only in winter, so the "new" hole would have a matching body clip to "look OEM" when each flap is removed and stored in the summer.........

#32 ·
I'm amazed there are no OEM mud guards. The undersides are going to take a severe beating without them. I didn't buy them for my RX-8 back in 2004, and the curved area of the side panels took a lot of rock chips. I've bought mud guards ever since for all my cars, zero issues.

The ones listed above look like cardboard cutouts, and don't look to be very good for aerodynamics.

#33 · (Edited)
There is another reason for these... among its many great features, as-is and without any even symbolic mudguards, the Model 3 is a fine tuned rock hurling machine...

I have driven behind other and my own Model 3 with OE 18 aeros, 19s and 20s and in each case the frequency of tiny to small rocks thrown at the car directly behind was surprisingly high! Much higher than most other sedans, same lane, same stretch of road, same day/time.

This seems to happen regardless of pavement type - new concrete or tarmac highway, older parkway, suburb street, etc. and regardless of how gravel free or sandbox happy the road is. Really sucks.

Coming back on-topic:

#34 ·
There is another reason for these... among its many great features, as-is and without any even symbolic mudguards, the Model 3 is a fine tuned rock hurling machine...

I have driven behind other and my own Model 3 with OE 18 aeros, 19s and 20s and in each case the frequency of tiny to small rocks thrown at the car directly behind was surprisingly high! Much higher than most other sedans, same lane, same stretch of road, same day/time.

This seems to happen regardless of pavement type - new concrete or tarmac highway, older parkway, suburb street, etc. and regardless of how gravel free or sandbox happy the road is. Really sucks.
I think the Model 3 is a real road warrior due to its superior aerodynamics. If it gets a little abrasion because of it, more power to it. I love the way it glides and am not afraid of few rock chips.

#38 ·
ha, tailgaters have a special place (along with lawyers) at the bottom of the abyss.

Its funny until you're following your own car or take a road-trip with multiple family cars.
For this same reason, I currently avoid ever following (even at a distance) any Model 3.

#43 ·
@Doigtsdhonneur my car looks like that but its white. Will buy mud guard soon, CF will probably look cool once I get windows tinted and the eventual perf spoiler.

#45 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Looks like the 2020 Roadster has the same issue....

Reactions: Perscitus
#46 ·
Thanks / Merci Eric Bolduc
I have installed the North Edition mud flaps. I followed his video, it was easy.
I travel 4 kilometres on gravel roads before getting to asphalt.
See attached pictures, the mud flaps are doing their job during wet spring conditions.
Still, only 30 kilometres per hour on gravel!
It's now 16 days and loving the M3, can never go back to an ICE

Attachments

#47 ·
Thanks / Merci Eric Bolduc
I have installed the North Edition mud flaps. I followed his video, it was easy.
I travel 4 kilometres on gravel roads before getting to asphalt.
See attached pictures, the mud flaps are doing their job during wet spring conditions.
Still, only 30 kilometres per hour on gravel!
It's now 16 days and loving the M3, can never go back to an ICE
It sounds and looks like you really need something pretty bad so I see why you can justify it. But I could never put those on my car based on my more typical need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.