Mud guards for gravel and winter conditions

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm considering getting bed liner applied to the rocker panels and area behind the wheels before installing my mudflaps. It's not uncommon for icy roads to be sanded in the winter and I'd really like to avoid any rust or repainting in the future, which is why I purchased the mudflaps. But given that sand will always end up between the paint and flap, I hoping the bed liner will protect that area. Has anyone done that? How'd it work out? I know I've had some kind of protection behind the wheels from the factory on some of my vehicles in the past.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
With the concern about sand and grit getting under the aftermarket mud guards, guard vibration and suggestions of using clear tape type films (PPF, etc.) I have to wonder if DAP Peel and Seal is the answer?
From the product description:
SEAL 'N PEEL Removable Weatherstrip Sealant

Unique, removable weatherstrip caulk to seal drafty windows and doors. Saves energy and reduces utility costs. Provides a temporary waterproof and weatherproof seal. Peels away easily when removal is desired. Won’t damage painted surfaces. Indoor/outdoor use.
My only observation when anticipating using this product: it skins over much faster than expected.

If one were to lay it on the sheet metal and then install the mud flap, so it acts as a gasket, keep the bead really thin because it will skin over literally within two minutes of laying it down.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I emailed the local Line-X dealer to get an estimate for having color-matched Xtra sprayed on my rocker panels and behind the wheels. I hope to get an estimate tomorrow after work. Looks like I'm not the only one to do this.

Dick Blonov

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just came back from Mtl SC, I've asked about an ETA for the mudguards and they told me within 3 weeks, somewhere in december.
They also told me they do the install or can just go by and they will provide them.
Do you know if they're going to reach out to owners or we need to take the lead to get the parts?

Phil

dsgerbc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, Rallyarmor ones are finally for sale. A bit pricey though...
Anybody seen pics of the OEM ones yet?

Last edited:

dsgerbc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well, I received the rallyarmor ones, and they are $200 junk. For some reason I thought that the bracket would tuck in behind the fender lip and then the flap would clamp from the other side, making the whole construct sit securely. But no, the whole bracket mounts well only to the same bottom two holes, then there's a semi-secure attachment point to the liner, while the top pretty much depends on the bracket stiffness for positioning.
Sigh. I guess I'm gonna have to whip up some plastic bracket I could use as a wedge to make sure these sit in one place and don't flap around.