Mud guards for gravel and winter conditions

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good thing I already had ppf covering those areas, so the mud flaps won't touch paint.

I bought the $39 kit off amazon from the 3rd party reseller and it looks identical to all the other ones of this style. Install was super easy. I swapped tires while I did it, but you should be able to install without removing tires off the car.

View attachment 28050
Yes, I did mine with tires on. No issue at all. Turned front wheels to make it easy.

Those do look the same.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I noticed TapTES had the same MudFlaps as the ones seen on Ebay for like $10 more ($36 shipped), but I could get them from TapTES in a week and return them if I didn't like them.

https://www.taptes.com/products/mud-flaps-for-tesla-model-3?_pos=1&_sid=989e567e9&_ss=r

They look great, I hope to install them tonight. Done, see photos.

When I went to go look for the link above, I noticed TapTES DOUBLE the price !! I guess they realized these are gonna be hot ;)

FYI, someone found the same mudflaps/mudguards now on Amazon (Prime Reseller, $39)

Not sure why embedded link doesn't work.
www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y or search for Model 3 Tesla Mud Flaps

I installed them completely as designed.

Probably took all of 30 minutes.

Only drilled 2 pilot holes for self tapping screws that go into the PLASTIC front wheel well. Every thing else used existing Rivet and bolts.

I abandoned using 3M tape. The part that touched the body only touches on the visible edge. It tapers away from the body.
Note, everything in the rear is plastic. There is no risk for rot from collected sand (which is possible).

Using 3M tape to the wheel well just won't hold long term. The two holes were so modest and safe, I just went ahead and drilled it.
If for some reason I remove I could plug the tiny hole with silicon or the screw.

Only big question is impact on efficiency. They look like the perfect size. Large enough to protect but not to large impact efficiency (much, I hope).
They are mostly behind the tires.

They are on very solid. Removed 6 OEM Rivets and used 6 supplied ones. The OEM ones are just to short. Removed two OEM bolts and replaced with same both in the rear.
Drilled two pilot holes at the top for fronts.

Back of Front Flap

Front of Front Flap

Front of Rear Flap

Back of Back flap

Front view of Front flap installed

Rear View Front Flap installed

Rear view of Rear flap installed

Front view of rear flap installed

Rear View of Rear Flap installed (that is not a gap, just a reflection).

Rear flap from bottom installed using existing bolt

Front flap while installing showing the one pilot hole (into plastic wheel well)

Rear view installed both.
Don't blink you might not notice them on Midnight Silver

Front View both installed

View to show how much they stick out.

Another view showing how much they stick out

In my opinion they make the car look beefier/wider looking stance from the rear.

This picture shows precise they fit, incredible.

Thanks for all the details, links, and pictures!
I'm curious if over time how much efficiency you see lost from the flaps. Please let us know in a few months

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for all the details, links, and pictures!
I'm curious if over time how much efficiency you see lost from the flaps. Please let us know in a few months
I did a quick test tonight

Essentially no change (@65 mph).

I do a 30 mile test loop with HVAC off.
Pure highway. Same test I used comparing tires and got the same result. This test has proven itself and basically matches what I’ve averaged for the last 1300 miles.

You might see bigger differences at higher speeds.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for posting @mswlogo msw, I was waiting for someone to post about how they fit but ended up ordering them. Your post reassures me and I'm really looking to install them before my 2000 km trip coming up.
As for paint protection, I'm way past how it might look, I have installed the thing everywhere already, let's say I approve of your choice for the neat look but I'll go for maximum protection. My TT suffered from abrasion.
I'm glad to see they fit well and my concerns might be overkill in this case.

Gabzqc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just ordered the TapTES ones and they had free shipping to Europe.... good value!
Will report back after installation with pictures and any range difference I experience.

dsgerbc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the TapTES ones. They do not mount securely up front. The hold on to the fender liner, which isn't held securely in place. As a result, the front mudflap will flap around and definitely **** up the paint. There needs to be a solution that fixes them in place.

Gabzqc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the TapTES ones. They do not mount securely up front. The hold on to the fender liner, which isn't held securely in place. As a result, the front mudflap will flap around and definitely **** up the paint. There needs to be a solution that fixes them in place.
Will see what you mean next week... Please post here any solution

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So you have installed them and they are flapping around damaging your paint? Please post pics.

I agree that the wheel liner is not solid. But that's why I went with the screw. The screw clamps the fender between the liner and the mudflap. I don't think they "flap around" at all and are as secure as any mudflap I've installed.
My only concern is the screw hole might fatigue over time. It's also very easy to strip that screw in thin plastic. On other similar installs I've seen them include a metal C clip with a "nut" on the back side so you can really tighten the screw.

Also if you hit a speed bump a flap might catch, especially front ones, it has on many cars. That might put stress on that screw too. Flap should flex fine.

So I agree that it could be better, but it is not flapping around on my car, at least not yet.

BTW on efficiency.

First photo, last ~1800 miles (80% without mudflaps).
Second photo last 370 miles with mudflaps. No change in efficiency.

80% of all my driving is highway 65mph, AWD, 19" OEM wheels 42 psi cold. Some AC.

dsgerbc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So you have installed them and they are flapping around damaging your paint? Please post pics.
I installed them as-is and they were rattling on the first drive. So I took them off, jerry-rigged a piece of hard plastic that goes behind the liner and the supplied screw screws into, so that would clamp the mudflap/fender liner to the edge of the fender from the inside. It made it better, but not good enough (since the fender liner is a bit thicker than the metal fender edge). At that point I just applied a bunch of double-sided tape to the front flaps. Seems to be holding, but I need to think of a permanent solution.

My point is that those flaps are not plug-n-play.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I installed them as-is and they were rattling on the first drive. So I took them off, jerry-rigged a piece of hard plastic that goes behind the liner and the supplied screw screws into, so that would clamp the mudflap/fender liner to the edge of the fender from the inside. It made it better, but not good enough (since the fender liner is a bit thicker than the metal fender edge). At that point I just applied a bunch of double-sided tape to the front flaps. Seems to be holding, but I need to think of a permanent solution.

Mine have been solid so far (400 miles). But it's a fair warning.

How did you get behind the wheel well? I wouldn't mind getting a "sheet metal nut" on that screw, I personally think that would be enough.
Maybe a washer on the screw too for a "wider" clamping, the mudflap is acting as the "washer/clamp" and it might bend over time.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I agree that the wheel liner is not solid. But that's why I went with the screw. The screw clamps the fender between the liner and the mudflap. I don't think they "flap around" at all and are as secure as any mudflap I've installed.
My only concern is the screw hole might fatigue over time. It's also very easy to strip that screw in thin plastic. On other similar installs I've seen them include a metal C clip with a "nut" on the back side so you can really tighten the screw.

Also if you hit a speed bump a flap might catch, especially front ones, it has on many cars. That might put stress on that screw too. Flap should flex fine.

So I agree that it could be better, but it is not flapping around on my car, at least not yet.

BTW on efficiency.

First photo, last ~1800 miles (80% without mudflaps).
Second photo last 370 miles with mudflaps. No change in efficiency.

80% of all my driving is highway 65mph, AWD, 19" OEM wheels 42 psi cold. Some AC.

I can also say with using mud flaps over the past 4,000 km that there is no measurable effect on efficiency.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I installed a set from Eric (located in Quebec).

The units he sells are plug and play and I have had no issues whatsoever after installation.

dsgerbc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I installed a set from Eric (located in Quebec).

The units he sells are plug and play and I have had no issues whatsoever after installation.
Yeah, those TapTes flaps need something like the plastic 'sheet metal nuts' you got to secure the front flaps.

How did you get behind the wheel well? I wouldn't mind getting a "sheet metal nut" on that screw, I personally think that would be enough.
Yeap, a plastic one would be perfect.
My fender liner is kinda loose in the well, and it just pops out with bottom clips removed. Probably the reason it's flapping around.

dsgerbc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Alright, I had a set of these delivered. Got 'em behind the liner at the top of the wheel well, slid them down to the flaps (installed with doublesided tape I didn't want to undo) and screwed tops of the flaps into them. Seems plenty secure now. Just make sure to pre-tread the screw into these clips before sliding them onto the liner to make it easier later.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Alright, I had a set of these delivered. Got 'em behind the liner at the top of the wheel well, slid them down to the flaps (installed with doublesided tape I didn't want to undo) and screwed tops of the flaps into them. Seems plenty secure now. Just make sure to pre-tread the screw into these clips before sliding them onto the liner to make it easier later.
You used the screws that came with flaps?

Like to see a photo.

I was thinking of trying to improve it, but everything I came up with caused the flap to not be flat/flush to the wheel well. If it's not flat I'm concerned it will be a magnet for collecting sand.

Tempted to add or move screw to the top of the flap.

I left it as is for now. Sometimes I fiddle with stuff and wish I never did ;)

Franklin L

Country
Country
Would these be worth it in California? It just about never rains here and the only mud I’m thinking I’d encounter is going up to Tahoe in the winter. That being said, I recently saw an S that had a lot of dirt marks on the panels behind the rear wheels.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've installed these and find they fit really good, as mentionned earlier.
I have a friend who installed them before me and thay are chewing through the paint so I suggest you install some kind of wrap on the car before installing (which I did).
Also, I really wish they would have made the front ones longer. It's hard to guess looking at the pictures but the longest ones fit at the back.

Jetstreamsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just had the North Edition mudflaps installed at Antirouille Bolduc, they will definitely provide protection and have no chance of rubbing the paint on the body sides like the wrap around style offered by others. The grit spread on the roads this past winter just destroyed my paintwork along the bottom and up in front of the rear wheel arch.

I drove 300km (~200 mile) back home after installation without any perceivable effect on range compared to my prior journey going the other way and already unless you look for them, they’re simply not something you notice, just look around at other cars for mudguards to see how some of those standout when you actually look for them.

On top of this the owner was extremely helpful about fixing some of Tesla’s omissions in build quality like missing clips and loose fittings and some adjustments for improved debris clearance.

Thoroughly recommend both the mudflaps and his services

https://evmudflaps.com/collections/mudflaps-3

Last edited:

tombar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just had the North Edition mudflaps installed at Antirouille Bolduc, they will definitely provide protection and have no chance of rubbing the paint on the body sides like the wrap around style offered by others. The grit spread on the roads this past winter just destroyed my paintwork along the bottom and up in front of the rear wheel arch.

I drove 300km (~200 mile) back home after installation without any perceivable effect on range compared to my prior journey going the other way and already unless you look for them, they’re simply not something you notice, just look around at other cars for mudguards to see how some of those standout when you actually look for them.

On top of this the owner was extremely helpful about fixing some of Tesla’s omissions in build quality like missing clips and loose fittings and some adjustments for improved debris clearance.

Thoroughly recommend both the mudflaps and his services

https://evmudflaps.com/collections/mudflaps-3
Did they charge you for the installation, above the purchase price of the mud flaps ?