Mud guards for gravel and winter conditions

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Looking forward to installing my ‘California’s’. Minimalistic and all I need since I park it December to March. Will document the install here with pictures.
@Sandy, I may be out of country when your Californias arrive......I head out two weeks tomorrow and back 18 days later.....obviously don't hold up your installation waiting for me to check it, but if they are installed prior to my drive home, I'll plan for a quick stop on my final leg home.

Jetstreamsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As for not looking 'pretty' with mudguards fitted, battered paintwork is not such a hot look either. If you can't afford to regularly repair the paintwork and living in areas with high levels of abrasive materials then I don't see a lot of choice but to add protection. For now I'm going to add Eric's creation, if something better comes along later I'll assess how well they've done and if in fact its so obnoxious they need to be ripped off and replaced I'll do that at that time.

Looking at the Model Y photos, even with those plastic wheel arches the sills and sides are still very exposed from the apparent wheel throw trajectory, so Tesla hasn't learnt anything or don't consider it their problem. Looking at the Audi E-tron, they've used their experience and provided the lower sections with protection in a reasonable styled way.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
My name is Eric Bolduc (The guy with the hammer lol), I own a rustproofing shop here in Quebec where the winters are rather harsh.
I dismount all the car to treat it, I know the Model 3 as the bottom of my pocket. I have seen and now know all the current and future weaknesses the Model 3 will have.
It's a wonderful car, but it has paint problems obviously. Since I had the good idea to protect my 85D in 2015 with my DIY mud flaps.
I also protected my X in 2017. Not as much of a problem for the S and X, but many that I saw had sandblasted rear doors ... Not mine 😊

Whether we like it or not, it remains a problem. With these flaps you will save the worst. If there is a better product, then go buy it, but I think for now the solution is there.
Flaps are ugly, obviously, but I think with the California, Midwest or North Edition, you'll love it. After 2 days we do not see them anymore, but they still protect.
I thought I would share my knowledge by creating a nice product to protect and save what is coming on your Model 3.
[removed self promotion]

Thanks

Eric,
Antirouille Bolduc
photos :
img_0836-jpg.25009
img_0840-jpg.25008
57160492437__45fbcdea-1df8-40f3-8063-e01e9d7239c4-jpg.25001
img_0177-jpg.25002
img_0576-jpg.25003
img_0396-jpg.25005
img_1050-jpg.25007

Last edited by a moderator:

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Bienvenu sur le Forum!
Bon travail Éric pour la fabrication d'une option de protection, mes commentaires précédents sur l'apparence n'ont rien de personnel;)

I do agree that protection is needed ASAP these pictures tell the whole story, I had the chance to drive only 3000km during winter and my initial protection is definitely not strong enough and something better will be required before next winter.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
@L'antirouilliste Eric:

I want to buy a set of the California sized mud flaps from you but your web site is problematic.

Can you PM me on how I can buy these today for shipping as soon as possible?

Thanks,

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Today I prepped the areas just aft of the front wheel wells, prior to the arrival of my mud flaps.

After 28,000 kms and using PPF:

dsc08839-jpg.27528

After using green tinted rust remover to eliminate the surface flash (prior to rinsing with water):

dsc08840-jpg.27529

After applying rust paint:

dsc08841-jpg.27530

Once the mud flaps are installed later this week, I'll re-shoot these zones with gelled "Rust Check".

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Just installed the set from Eric.

Like everything else in life, experience will help with this project.

I have some observations for installing these without removing the wheels to do so:
  • one will have to turn the front wheels left (for the drivers side) and then right (for the passenger side);
  • pre thread these clips with the screws that will eventually go into them:

• the new clips that come with the kit have to join three (3) layers of black plastic and thus will require some "english" to get them to successfully seat and lock into place (especially to lock):

• I chose not to use the included PPF strips for the REAR wheel wells as there is no sheet-metal back there to worry about, surface corrosion wise (sorry, no photo).
I did soak the front mud flaps to metal front fender/rocker connection area with "Rust Check" spray and will do so twice a year.

Looks are subjective, but I find they do NOT stand out:

dsc08846-jpg.27587

dsc08847-jpg.27588

Attachments

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Californias are the very short ones...
Your rocker panel seems to have survived pretty well, the rock chips (or scratches at this point) are a lot more visible on my red car...
Yes, I got the short Californias because I seem to be managing the situation without the need for the larger units.

Of course, after this coming winter, I may implement a procedure for using the larger size in winter, while my winter wheels/tires are being used.

White is also forgiving when it comes to chips and scratches, the primary reason I chose it.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just installed the ‘California’ version from Eric of Antirouille Bolduc. I waited until I did a tire rotation. Eric’s video of the install is quite helpful. His new webpage is here:

EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc

The package is very well thought out and designed. Nothing additional is needed other than a few basic tools. Using 2 floor jacks and pucks I did one side at a time. With both wheels off the install was quite easy:

bb834242-e10e-4921-83cc-8a4dc44cec33-jpeg.27673

I used the included strips of PPF after cleaning the surface with alcohol. After running the strip of PPF I used an Xacto knife to trim the excess. This is not necessary, just my preference:

df06c634-bf89-4cb0-b42e-bccac82d7b65-jpeg.27674

99d5c67a-0f6a-4478-abae-fd8a8a69e599-jpeg.27675

With that complete the install went quickly. One additional hole to drill on the fronts for a 3’rd push-pin and on the rear for a second screw. The push-pins inserted easily and I used a hammer to ‘assist’ in closing them:

ea188b02-983c-43f4-9ee2-a4c4fac5eb8f-jpeg.27676

Here are the smaller original push-pins shown beside the new ones:

c61cf1c6-08f4-4dc8-bfa3-f33603c2c234-jpeg.27677

Install complete:

3b627ead-9937-4082-af40-52cb853ef948-jpeg.27678

6db91b02-dc31-48b6-83e4-45942ed4bccb-jpeg.27679

3b6115ce-7062-4e1c-9119-1e69fdfba64d-jpeg.27680

79204b6e-b65e-4c2c-94e7-5baf494a2dc8-jpeg.27681

bfef3485-908d-4173-ad3e-f703da27c70c-jpeg.27682

I installed the California’s as I wanted a solution that had a minimal visual impact but provided a level of protection acceptable to me. These fit the bill perfectly. They are barely noticeable unless your looking for them. I park the car for 3 months during winter so the protection level is fine for me.
My concern about aftermarket ‘moulded’ spray guards discussed above versus the flat style is on the front is they tend to trap water,sand,salt etc. between them and the fender/rocker where they wrap around the sides. I had this happen on an Explorer and really regretted installing them.
Bottom line is I’m really happy with the the product. Eric at Antirouille Bolduc is a pleasure to deal with and I highly recommend his products.

Mysta

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just installed the ‘California’ version from Eric of Antirouille Bolduc. I waited until I did a tire rotation. Eric’s video of the install is quite helpful. His new webpage is here:

EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc

The package is very well thought out and designed. Nothing additional is needed other than a few basic tools. Using 2 floor jacks and pucks I did one side at a time. With both wheels off the install was quite easy:

View attachment 27673

I used the included strips of PPF after cleaning the surface with alcohol. After running the strip of PPF I used an Xacto knife to trim the excess. This is not necessary, just my preference:

View attachment 27674

View attachment 27675

With that complete the install went quickly. One additional hole to drill on the fronts for a 3’rd push-pin and on the rear for a second screw. The push-pins inserted easily and I used a hammer to ‘assist’ in closing them:

View attachment 27676

Here are the smaller original push-pins shown beside the new ones:

View attachment 27677

Install complete:

View attachment 27678

View attachment 27679

View attachment 27680

View attachment 27681

View attachment 27682

I installed the California’s as I wanted a solution that had a minimal visual impact but provided a level of protection acceptable to me. These fit the bill perfectly. They are barely noticeable unless your looking for them. I park the car for 3 months during winter so the protection level is fine for me.
My concern about aftermarket ‘moulded’ spray guards discussed above versus the flat style is on the front is they tend to trap water,sand,salt etc. between them and the fender/rocker where they wrap around the sides. I had this happen on an Explorer and really regretted installing them.
Bottom line is I’m really happy with the the product. Eric at Antirouille Bolduc is a pleasure to deal with and I highly recommend his products.
Thanks for pics!

Any kinda 'candid' pics to see what they look like in general?(whole car pics from a few angles)

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I noticed TapTES had the same MudFlaps as the ones seen on Ebay for like $10 more ($36 shipped), but I could get them from TapTES in a week and return them if I didn't like them.

https://www.taptes.com/products/mud-flaps-for-tesla-model-3?_pos=1&_sid=989e567e9&_ss=r

They look great, I hope to install them tonight. Done, see photos.

When I went to go look for the link above, I noticed TapTES DOUBLE the price !! I guess they realized these are gonna be hot ;)

FYI, someone found the same mudflaps/mudguards now on Amazon (Prime Reseller, $39)

Not sure why embedded link doesn't work.
www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y or search for Model 3 Tesla Mud Flaps

I installed them completely as designed.

Probably took all of 30 minutes.

Only drilled 2 pilot holes for self tapping screws that go into the PLASTIC front wheel well. Every thing else used existing Rivet and bolts.

I abandoned using 3M tape. The part that touched the body only touches on the visible edge. It tapers away from the body.
Note, everything in the rear is plastic. There is no risk for rot from collected sand (which is possible).

Using 3M tape to the wheel well just won't hold long term. The two holes were so modest and safe, I just went ahead and drilled it.
If for some reason I remove I could plug the tiny hole with silicon or the screw.

Only big question is impact on efficiency. They look like the perfect size. Large enough to protect but not to large impact efficiency (much, I hope).
They are mostly behind the tires.

They are on very solid. Removed 6 OEM Rivets and used 6 supplied ones. The OEM ones are just to short. Removed two OEM bolts and replaced with same both in the rear.
Drilled two pilot holes at the top for fronts.

I just tested efficiency. Essentially no change (@65 mph).

I do a 30 mile test loop with HVAC off.
Pure highway. Same test I used comparing tires and got the same result.

Might see bigger differences at higher speeds.

Back of Front Flap

Front of Front Flap

Front of Rear Flap

Back of Back flap

Front view of Front flap installed

Rear View Front Flap installed

Rear view of Rear flap installed

Front view of rear flap installed

Rear View of Rear Flap installed (that is not a gap, just a reflection).

Rear flap from bottom installed using existing bolt

Front flap while installing showing the one pilot hole (into plastic wheel well)

Rear view installed both.
Don't blink you might not notice them on Midnight Silver

Front View both installed

View to show how much they stick out.

Another view showing how much they stick out

In my opinion they make the car look beefier/wider looking stance from the rear.

This picture shows precise they fit, incredible.

Last edited:

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I updated my post above with them installed and a boat load of pictures. So far I love them.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Be careful with mudflaps that lay against the body like that. All the little grains of sand and salt and rock particles get stuck in there and wear away the paint in those areas.

tesla m3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good thing I already had ppf covering those areas, so the mud flaps won't touch paint.

I bought the $39 kit off amazon from the 3rd party reseller and it looks identical to all the other ones of this style. Install was super easy. I swapped tires while I did it, but you should be able to install without removing tires off the car.

signal-attachment-jpeg.28050

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Be careful with mudflaps that lay against the body like that. All the little grains of sand and salt and rock particles get stuck in there and wear away the paint in those areas.
I’ve had that style for half a dozen cars for decades and no problem.

These are not flat against the body like some. The only contact point to the body is what you see. I was set to put PPF and decided it was not needed and would only look worse. Someone did that on the other forum and I didn’t like it (seeing edge of PPF patch). These look clean and I don’t plan on removing them. Unless it’s a huge hit on efficiency. Might do my 30 mile loop test loop tonight that I used for testing tires. Like to test with HVAC off. .