Mud guards for gravel and winter conditions

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks / Merci Eric Bolduc
I have installed the North Edition mud flaps. I followed his video, it was easy.
I travel 4 kilometres on gravel roads before getting to asphalt.
See attached pictures, the mud flaps are doing their job during wet spring conditions.
Still, only 30 kilometres per hour on gravel!
It's now 16 days and loving the M3, can never go back to an ICE

Attachments

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks / Merci Eric Bolduc
I have installed the North Edition mud flaps. I followed his video, it was easy.
I travel 4 kilometres on gravel roads before getting to asphalt.
See attached pictures, the mud flaps are doing their job during wet spring conditions.
Still, only 30 kilometres per hour on gravel!
It's now 16 days and loving the M3, can never go back to an ICE
It sounds and looks like you really need something pretty bad so I see why you can justify it. But I could never put those on my car based on my more typical need.

Jetstreamsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m going to fit them, it’s disheartening seeing so much damage in so little time. I looked at other vehicles tonight, most have decent size mud guards and you really don’t even notice them until you look. I think there should be a standard warning to owners for regions with high debris through the winter, it’s so unnecessary.

tesla m3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I haven't seen any decent mudguards yet for the model 3... so when I got my car new, I had ppf installed on the rocker panels and areas behind the tires .. especially the painted area facing the tire. Mud guards would still be preferred, but I'm not installing a flat board on the car.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From Eric:

We finally have a production date from our supplier !

The Mid-West and California Edition will be ready next Friday, April 26th.

We expect to ship the following Monday, April 29th.
Looking forward to installing my ‘California’s’. Minimalistic and all I need since I park it December to March. Will document the install here with pictures.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Woah! That’s horrible. What have you been driving through?
Real winter!
They don't call it abrasive for nothing.
By the way, my PPF just don't cut it for these areas. Will need to redo with thicker film while waiting for serious molded splashguards to hit the market. A badly designed guard will do as much damage by 1-keeping humidity and crud where it contacts the body, 2-promote corrosion if holes need to be drilled.
What I've seen up to now looks amateur.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do You live in an area where melting média is restricted and mostly sand and gravel can be used in order to protect the surrounding lakes? I don't own the rights for the worse winter but I think we rate pretty high on the abrasive side.

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Real winter!
They don't call it abrasive for nothing.
By the way, my PPF just don't cut it for these areas. Will need to redo with thicker film while waiting for serious molded splashguards to hit the market. A badly designed guard will do as much damage by 1-keeping humidity and crud where it contacts the body, 2-promote corrosion if holes need to be drilled.
What I've seen up to now looks amateur.
Amateur? Seriously? Eric is marketing a product that gives people a very viable option to order NOW. It is very well thought out, comes in 3 sizes, uses 2 existing pushpin locations and 1 hole drilled through the PLASTIC inner liner that secures to an ABS U-nut. So wheres the corrosion from the drilled hole going to happen? Nowhere. He also supplies longer pushpins and includes extras for those switching seasonally between two different sized sets in case of pin breakage during removal.
As far as trapping humidity and crud is concerned his are no different than any other factory guard out there. I have to remove my OEM Factory Ford molded guards every spring to clean out behind them. Before reinstalling I spray Krown Rustproofing on the contact area. Good thing to do with any guards. He also provides strips of PPF to cover the minimal area where there is guard to metal contact.
Kudo's to Eric for recognizing the immediate need for these and bringing them to market.

Last edited:

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Amateur? Seriously? Eric is marketing a product that gives people a very viable option to order NOW. It is very well tought out, comes in 3 sizes, uses 2 existing pushpin locations and 1 hole drilled through the PLASTIC inner liner that secures to an ABS U-nut. So wheres the corrosion from the drilled hole going to happen? Nowhere. He also supplies longer pushpins and includes extras for those switching seasonally between two different sized sets in case of pin breakage during removal.
As far as trapping humidity and crud is concerned his are no different than any other factory guard out there. I have to remove my OEM Factory Ford molded guards every spring to clean out behind them. Before reinstalling I spray Krown Rustproofing on the contact area. Good thing to do with any guards. He also provides strips of PPF to cover the minimal area where there is guard to metal contact.
Kudo's to Eric for recognizing the immediate need for these and bringing them to market.
I agree with @Mesprit87 they all look Amateur to me too. They look like a sheet of plastic cut with tin snips.

I’m sure they will protect the car but I could not install them and make the car look like you installed them in the Walmart parking lot.

Yes, they look that bad, to some of us.

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with @Mesprit87 they all look Amateur to me too. They look like a sheet of plastic cut with tin snips.

I’m sure they will protect the car but I could not install them and make the car look like you installed them in the Walmart parking lot.

Yes, they look that bad, to some of us.
I’m not a fan of any large guards factory or aftermarket. They all look like crap. The trade off is whether the protection is worth saving any damage. Canadian winters suck.

Last edited:

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m not a fan of any large guards factory or aftermarket. They all look like crap. The trade off is whether the protection is worth saving any damage. Canadian winters suck.
Agreed I don’t like having to put anything on either. I have routinely put mudflaps on all my cars. Usually factory made ones. So far this is the first car I may stay with nothing.

I have 6 months and 6000 miles of New England winter (plenty of salt and sand) and I don’t see any visible damage yet. But the side of the car sure gets dirty fast with no mud flaps.