Mud guards for gravel and winter conditions

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You sure about that? High end paint protection film is self healing and looks good and sometimes better than paint with like a 7 year warranty.
Not so much when it’s taking a direct hit of road debris constantly fired at it off the bottom of the tire at close proximity.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks, yes his website's mobile mode needs some work (the info that's front center via w regular browser is missing).
I've exchanged a few emails with Eric and we're cooking up a third version (hybrid between the North and California).
Lets call it Paint.NET/Photochop edition (for now).
I take it you are refering to the "mid west" version?

I'm certain I'm going to buy a set, the question is the small (California) or medium (mid west)........

TheHairyOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any pictures of the carbon parts withe tires installed at different angles? Thought purchase site had more before but don't see other angles or tires any more.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
As I ponder this addition........

Instead of the clip and screw at the top of (each) flap, I'm thinking of using the same style of body trim clip as used for the two other connection points.

My reasons:

1. The folded edge of the metal clip that comes with each flap (for the screw at the top connection point) could/could end up rubbing the sheet metal from the back side of the sheet metal lip, and

2. I would contemplate using these only in winter, so the "new" hole would have a matching body clip to "look OEM" when each flap is removed and stored in the summer.........

tesla m3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm amazed there are no OEM mud guards. The undersides are going to take a severe beating without them. I didn't buy them for my RX-8 back in 2004, and the curved area of the side panels took a lot of rock chips. I've bought mud guards ever since for all my cars, zero issues.

The ones listed above look like cardboard cutouts, and don't look to be very good for aerodynamics.

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There is another reason for these... among its many great features, as-is and without any even symbolic mudguards, the Model 3 is a fine tuned rock hurling machine...

I have driven behind other and my own Model 3 with OE 18 aeros, 19s and 20s and in each case the frequency of tiny to small rocks thrown at the car directly behind was surprisingly high! Much higher than most other sedans, same lane, same stretch of road, same day/time.

This seems to happen regardless of pavement type - new concrete or tarmac highway, older parkway, suburb street, etc. and regardless of how gravel free or sandbox happy the road is. Really sucks.

Coming back on-topic:

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
There is another reason for these... among its many great features, as-is and without any even symbolic mudguards, the Model 3 is a fine tuned rock hurling machine...

I have driven behind other and my own Model 3 with OE 18 aeros, 19s and 20s and in each case the frequency of tiny to small rocks thrown at the car directly behind was surprisingly high! Much higher than most other sedans, same lane, same stretch of road, same day/time.

This seems to happen regardless of pavement type - new concrete or tarmac highway, older parkway, suburb street, etc. and regardless of how gravel free or sandbox happy the road is. Really sucks.
I think the Model 3 is a real road warrior due to its superior aerodynamics. If it gets a little abrasion because of it, more power to it. I love the way it glides and am not afraid of few rock chips.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I think the Model 3 is a real road warrior due to its superior aerodynamics. If it gets a little abrasion because of it, more power to it. I love the way it glides and am not afraid of few rock chips.
I hear you, but @Sandy sent me this shot from someones TM3 from the local region where these mud flaps being discussed are installed:

1553854073498-png.24075

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agreed, but you might have missed my point... these cars send far more rock projectiles at whoever follows them, than any other similar vehicles. Likely, as a result of the fender well, wheel poke and lack of any even mini mudguards.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Agreed, but you might have missed my point... these cars send far more rock projectiles at whoever follows them, than any other similar vehicles. Likely, as a result of the fender well, wheel poke and lack of any even mini mudguards.
That's excellent! I never did like aggressive tailgaters! Projectiles are probably more effective than this:

1553870136909-png.24078

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
ha, tailgaters have a special place (along with lawyers) at the bottom of the abyss.

Its funny until you're following your own car or take a road-trip with multiple family cars.
For this same reason, I currently avoid ever following (even at a distance) any Model 3.