$40k for MR
$44k for LR
$5k for dual motor

BayAreatoNYC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. So they are going to bring price down slowly and max out sales at every price point before releasing the long awaited $35K base model.

With this new range, they are making you buy the PUP and give you a little more range for an extra $10K. Next, they can give you the Standard battery but make you buy PUP, or they can give you the mid-range without PUP for an extra $5K.

I'm just guessing, but I doubt we see the $35K base model until at least the second half of 2019 when the next level of tax phase outs occur.

cfcubed

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm just guessing, but I doubt we see the $35K base model until at least the second half of 2019 when the next level of tax phase outs occur.
Hey, same as my guess/bet & that of lots of others I bet.

I've another guess/bet, that LR -> MR is software controlled, like they'd done for S. That'd be an easy way to entice some extra sales this qtr without actually doing anything. Hard to imagine actual hardware change, e.g. new design, production, etc overhead making biz & logistics sense at this juncture.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've another guess/bet, that LR -> MR is software controlled, like they'd done for S. That'd be an easy way to entice some extra sales this qtr without actually doing anything. Hard to imagine actual hardware change, e.g. new design, production, etc overhead making biz & logistics sense at this juncture.
"the company confirmed to Electrek that the new pack is not a Long-Range pack with a software-locked capacity, but it has the same architecture with fewer cells."
https://electrek.co/2018/10/18/tesla-model-3-mid-range-battery-pricing-structure/

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s a long range battery with fewer cells. Non-cell portion of the pack is disproportionately high, but we can get it done now instead of ~February

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
MR pricing not favorable for the increase in range compared to LR.

LR extended range by 90 miles for $10k at $1k per 10 miles.

MR extends range by 40 for $5k at $1.25k per 10 miles.

Range 220, Price 35 (planned range)
Range 260, Price 40
Range 310, Price 44 (RWD no longer offered in LR)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Must be a lot of people on the configurator trying to see what is available, it seems to be pretty slow. Tesla has made this confusing. I really don't like the way they alter the prices "including rebates and gas savings". To say the least this really changes the selection of cars. RWD only now only with this mid range battery and the true LR only available on AWD. This noted from the electric.co article above.

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Non-cell portion of the pack is disproportionately high, but we can get it done now instead of ~February
What does this even mean? If they did this the right (long) way, the battery would be more compact and lighter?

What's the downside to this hack?

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
IMO, Tesa ran the sales numbers and found out that the LR RWD is not moving as much as they would have liked, especially after the AWD option came out. So they probably are sitting on a decent inventory of that spec and do not want to invest in improving supply chain logistics for that model. So cull the LR RWD model - less cells + stuffing in the same battery pack size and that becomes the current base option. Help see demand + bridges the gap moving towards the production of the 50kWh pack.

So essentially, right now the models available are:
RWD MR - 45k
AWD LR - 54k
AWD P3 - 64k

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Price is $45k without considering gas and tax credit savings.

PUP seems to be included based on description, but not called out anymore.

Though I had been waiting for the SR, I am going to settle for the MR and realize the full tax credit.

SR pushed out by another month and is now estimated at 4-6 months.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/18/tesla-model-3-mid-range-battery-pricing-structure/
PUP is included - if you go through the build process, you click to choose "premium interior" (with no other options). So it's $40k, plus $5k for PUP.

It's a legit MR pack, not a software-limited LR pack. Which makes sense - Tesla's bottleneck right now is cell supply.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, same as my guess/bet & that of lots of others I bet.

MR is not software controlled. Elon cleared that on Twitter

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is a great deal for those still on the fence. You now have access to the cheapest Model 3 ever offered, with access to white interiors at just $1k! You have the same tech and industry leading safety as all other models. 260 mi of range puts you above most other EV's available on the market, beaten only by Teslas.

If you were considering the upcoming longer range $36k-$42k LEAF or Bolt, time to think about spending just a lil more for the much better and even longer range Model 3 MR :)

glavewu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My paid FSD in my tesla account also disappeared... Now I have premium interior and all black premium interior. I remember FSD used to show up in the option list.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Must be a lot of people on the configurator trying to see what is available, it seems to be pretty slow. Tesla has made this confusing. I really don't like the way they alter the prices "including rebates and gas savings". To say the least this really changes the selection of cars. RWD only now only with this mid range battery and the true LR only available on AWD. This noted from the electric.co article above.
Also not a fan of pricing "after savings." I really liked Tesla for not being sharky like dealerships, but when they don't advertise actual dollars being spent, it feels like they are being a bit slimy.

I think it's good to show the kind of savings available, but it's not so black and white like Tesla is making it out to be, like a big huge discount off the car, when it's not. Some people might actually take that at face value without doing the math.

Just like the tax credit is really not a savings unless you end up paying (a lot) in taxes for the year. Gas savings is estimated and you still pay for electricity (not nearly as much but still). It skews these numbers. It's misleading.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
MR pricing not favorable for the increase in range compared to LR.

LR extended range by 90 miles for $10k at $1k per 10 miles.

MR extends range by 40 for $5k at $1.25k per 10 miles.
However, if you factor in the $3,750 additional tax credit for the LR and (likely) the MR vs. the SR, you get:

LR extends range by 90 miles for $9,000 - $3,750 at $583.3 per 10 miles

MR extends range by 40 miles for $5,000 - $3,750 at $312.50 per 10 miles

RoadToLevel5

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
However, if you factor in the $3,750 additional tax credit for the LR and (likely) the MR vs. the SR, you get:

LR extends range by 90 miles for $9,000 - $3,750 at $583.3 per 10 miles

MR extends range by 40 miles for $5,000 - $3,750 at $312.50 per 10 miles
This is precisely the reason for this mid-range offering. Take tax credit out of the equation and the MR doesn't exist.

Also, not all can realize full tax credit.