Product Review MPP Sport Coilovers on Performance

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Front compression: 10 (Clicks open from full stiff)
Front rebound: 12 (Clicks open from full stiff)

Rear compression: 10 (Clicks open from full stiff)
Rear rebound: 10 (Clicks open from full stiff)

I recently upgraded from aftermarket springs w/ stock dampers to MPP Sport Coilovers and the difference is night and day!

The MPP/KW damper quality is what you would expect from KW... extremely high quality. The MPP damper forks and spring spacers are also very well made.

First thing I immediately noticed was that there was no more clunking noises from the front suspension at low speeds. With my previous setup I used to get binding noises going up and down drive ways and whenever I made turns at slow speeds (under 5 mph).

Body roll, road noise and wheel vibration has been significantly reduced. The dampers do an excellent job doing what it’s intended to do. The car stays flat on high speed turns and absorbs all the imperfections of the road. The suspension has definitely improved ride quality and has made driving much more enjoyable.

The car also feels more composed over dips and bumpy roads. I am no longer being launched out of my seat! I used to be embarrassed driving people around in my car and my wife used to complain that I ruined the comfort of the car but not anymore!

This was an investment worth every penny and I should've never wasted my time and money on aftermarket springs. I learned from my own mistake and will never settle for anything less that a quality coilover system.
29781639-e5e7-4e81-9ca4-04e77e4a60d5-jpeg.29650
69492c66-eebf-4f8c-b7ff-33733b08e417-jpeg.29651
256ae0e8-fa21-4027-b263-17c8cf35883a-jpeg.29652
6b908a5a-c9d1-4bed-b494-7b9dcdac8d7d-jpeg.29654
90f9e382-4fe8-4450-ba23-bcb0cbeba193-jpeg.29655

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the write-up. Looks like you install them yourself? It doesn't appear too difficult but did MPP provide any instructions?
How do you like the height? Tolerable?
Also, can you please share your method for getting it up on all four jack stands (looks like maybe you are using a non-traditional jack point - or you are just jacking the LCA in that photo.

Last edited:

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the write-up. Looks like you install them yourself? It doesn't appear too difficult but did MPP provide any instructions?
Also, can you please share your method for getting it up on all four jack stands (looks like maybe you are using a non-traditional jack point - or you are just jacking the LCA in that photo.
Here is the link to our instructions: https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/mpp-coilover-installation-instructions/

Those are Safe Jacks, they let you raise the car from the same point the stand will sit then remove the jack, it is a very cool system. https://safejacks.com/products/the-rennstand-by-safe-jack-single-unit?_pos=2&_sid=a6dc83c5d&_ss=r

chiapet15

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MountainPass I also have a P3D and think that the stock height offers the best tradeoff between handling and lessening the worry for scraping. Is there a way to set these coilovers so that stock height is maintained? If not, what is the minimum amount the height is reduced (I've seen -10mm from factory but wanted to confirm if "factory" was the stock P3D height with PUP or the height without PUP), and are there any supporting mods (like camber kits) required to compensate for that minimum drop?

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MountainPass I also have a P3D and think that the stock height offers the best tradeoff between handling and lessening the worry for scraping. Is there a way to set these coilovers so that stock height is maintained? If not, what is the minimum amount the height is reduced (I've seen -10mm from factory but wanted to confirm if "factory" was the stock P3D height with PUP or the height without PUP), and are there any supporting mods (like camber kits) required to compensate for that minimum drop?
You can keep it at the stock Performance height, you wouldn't need to compensate for camber at that height either.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@BELUGA3, (great handle, btw!), how low did you go?

Any comments on the installation? Did you need any special tools other than a spring compressor?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@BELUGA3, (great handle, btw!), how low did you go?

Any comments on the installation? Did you need any special tools other than a spring compressor?
F: 7 turns out from lowest setting
R: 11 turns out from lowest setting

As MPP quoted we used SafeJacks to lift the car. The car was lowered about 1” all around and height is very tolerable. I have no issues going in and out of driveways. I’m expecting another .25” after springs settle.

A friend of mine actually did my install and had air tools so disassembling was very easy. I was also already on lowering springs so we didn’t really need a spring compressor as there wasn’t a significant amount of pressure on the spring (but you should always use one to be safe). We did use rhinogear ramps to lower the car to ride height before torquing down front control arm bolts and rear damper and outer bolts.

I think MPP install instructions covers all the tools you’ll need.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm. Looks lower than a one inch drop. Must be the chrome delete.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the first post you say you went from aftermarket springs and dampers (which had unacceptable ride) to MPP. So which springs and dampers did you have?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the detailed write up. This is what I intended to do but only think of it after the fact. I had MPP comfort coilovers installed and they are awesome too! Somehow both sportier and smoother. But without the adjustment options of the sport coilovers. Installer actually has the only pictures here and there was some initial confusion on the orientation of the front but they fixed it and I couldn’t be happier. I have the MPP brakes arriving on Tuesday, can’t wait!

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice. I want to do this, but not until I can procure OEM front tophats to make the swap (and return to stock) quick and painless.

chiapet15

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have the part number for the OEM front top-hats? And what's the best way to order parts from Tesla? I tried ordering air filters from the local service center; they took my order but it's been over a month and I haven't heard back from them.

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have the part number for the OEM front top-hats? And what's the best way to order parts from Tesla? I tried ordering air filters from the local service center; they took my order but it's been over a month and I haven't heard back from them.
That's the issue. There is no part number. You can only order complete OEM strut assemblies. I guess that the best bet is to make friends with a local Tesla SC employee and see if they can sell you some if there are any leftover from service work.

EDIT: I know RWD and AWD suspension is not interchangeable, but does anyone know if RWD front tophats are the same as AWD?

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Dfwatt

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lots of us have tried to get just the top hats but they're not available as a separate item. Have to buy the whole Assembly. Not worth it