MPP Model 3 Sports Coilovers Dual Motor/Performance/P+

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We made the spacers for the Comfort kits and then to keep from overcomplicating things we are shipping them with all the kits. Sports customers will be fine without them. There is only one damper adjustment tool, it doesn't stay in the damper when you aren't using it! Keep it in your centre console or toolbox.

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ended up picking up a new set of spring compressors. And this time I remembered to grease the treads on them so everything went much faster.

Taking off the suspension using the non ground thin wall socket method was not all that bad. Unless you had a 13mm extra thin wall handy, taking off the upper arm off is easier then sourcing or making your own special socket. I should have taken a unibit and enlarged the holes so in the future I could have used a regular socket.

Also had a bit of issue with getting the recessed nylon lock nut on the top hat off the stock shocks 3 came off with an impact but had to use a pass thru socket and wrench for the last one.

I opted to not have it installed. Good luck finishing it all up!
Thanks for all your help.

We made the spacers for the Comfort kits and then to keep from overcomplicating things we are shipping them with all the kits. Sports customers will be fine without them. There is only one damper adjustment tool, it doesn't stay in the damper when you aren't using it! Keep it in your centre console or toolbox.
Good to know. Do you have the the recommended front spring perch offset for sport awd using the helper spring instead of the spacer by chance?

IMG_1432.jpg IMG_1429.jpg IMG_1425.jpg

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ended up picking up a new set of spring compressors. And this time I remembered to grease the treads on them so everything went much faster.

Taking off the suspension using the non ground thin wall socket method was not all that bad. Unless you had a 13mm extra thin wall handy, taking off the upper arm off is easier then sourcing or making your own special socket. I should have taken a unibit and enlarged the holes so in the future I could have used a regular socket.

Also had a bit of issue with getting the recessed nylon lock nut on the top hat off the stock shocks 3 came off with an impact but had to use a pass thru socket and wrench for the last one.

Thanks for all your help.

Good to know. Do you have the the recommended front spring perch offset for sport awd using the helper spring instead of the spacer by chance?

View attachment 27480 View attachment 27481 View attachment 27482
Add 8mm to the perch height if you are not running the spacers!

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Add 8mm to the perch height if you are not running the spacers!
I'm guessing perch height is measured from bottom of perch to top edge sway bar bracket.

Played around with the height a bit more last night.

I put the bottom of the adjuster to being flush with the last thread on the coilover. and ended up with about 34mm from adjuster to sway bracket. (Still 3mm higher then the recommended starting settings, 23mm + 8mm = 31mm)

This puts the car at a pretty low, front jack point to floor is about 90mm. Front hub to fender distance 5mm lower then the rear. Don't really see a need to go any lower then this. But It seems that running the helper spring instead of the spacer maybe a better set up for the sport awd coilovers.

So if anyone needs this info in the future.
On front helper spring (not spacer) with the front measurement taken from adjuster to sway bracket.
34mm offset in the front
15mm offset in the rear

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing perch height is measured from bottom of perch to top edge sway bar bracket.
No. Zoom in and look closer at the image in the instructions. I ran into the same issue with the shop that installed my coilovers. You're actually at 0 mm if you're at the bottom.

"The reference point is the step just under where your spring perch is." -Jesse from MPP (when I reached out asking for assistance)

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No. Zoom in and look closer at the image in the instructions. I ran into the same issue with the shop that installed my coilovers. You're actually at 0 mm if you're at the bottom.

"The reference point is the step just under where your spring perch is." -Jesse from MPP (when I reached out asking for assistance)
Strange.

I actually started out measuring from the bottom of the groove under the threads. I set the front height to 23+8mm measuring from bottom of perch to threads. This put front ride height about as high as stock and very uneven with the rear.

I remember reading a previously post that said the initial design called for the threads to go all the way down to they sway brackets. So I decided to measure from the sway bracket.

Whatever the case maybe I finally got my car leveled and close to the recommended hub to fender height. Front is still about 2mm higher then what mpp suggested. But close enough. Got an alignment so its finally driving straight and autopilot is no longer trying to kill me. Going to drive like this for a bit till i figure out if i need to raise the car. And then get it corner balanced.

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Strange.

I actually started out measuring from the bottom of the groove under the threads. I set the front height to 23+8mm measuring from bottom of perch to threads. This put front ride height about as high as stock and very uneven with the rear.

I remember reading a previously post that said the initial design called for the threads to go all the way down to they sway brackets. So I decided to measure from the sway bracket.

Whatever the case maybe I finally got my car leveled and close to the recommended hub to fender height. Front is still about 2mm higher then what mpp suggested. But close enough. Got an alignment so its finally driving straight and autopilot is no longer trying to kill me. Going to drive like this for a bit till i figure out if i need to raise the car. And then get it corner balanced.
Ah, interesting. I wanted the shop to go with 30 mm up front (based on forum feedback), and I think they did, but it was from the sway bar bracket. I'm sitting at basically 0 mm up front, and although it looks real nice, it's too low for me. I'll probably go up 10 mm or so. I think MPP needs to update their recommended heights.

Interesting to hear about your alignment being so far off. I'm getting one soon, but I drove around 1k miles right after install and the car handled fine (with a mix of AP use).

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, interesting. I wanted the shop to go with 30 mm up front (based on forum feedback), and I think they did, but it was from the sway bar bracket. I'm sitting at basically 0 mm up front, and although it looks real nice, it's too low for me. I'll probably go up 10 mm or so. I think MPP needs to update their recommended heights.
So i'm basically at the same height as you at the moment. I only went to the last thread and didn't want to go into the non threaded part so that would be why i'm at 34mm from the swaybar bracket.

You may want to try about 39mm from the sway bar bracket and 19mm on the rear. That should get you close to level being about 8-10mm higher overall, it was one of the settings i tested when installing.

Interesting to hear about your alignment being so far off. I'm getting one soon, but I drove around 1k miles right after install and the car handled fine (with a mix of AP use).
Did you install the rear toe and camber arms also? After installing the the coilovers and the arms, the alignment caused the car to pull very little to the left and also caused extreme steering response to little input. So when I put on auto pilot it would start swaying side to side getting progressively more violent, lol.

IMG_1439.jpg

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So i'm basically at the same height as you at the moment. I only went to the last thread and didn't want to go into the non threaded part so that would be why i'm at 34mm from the swaybar bracket.

You may want to try about 39mm from the sway bar bracket and 19mm on the rear. That should get you close to level being about 8-10mm higher overall, it was one of the settings i tested when installing.

Did you install the rear toe and camber arms also? After installing the the coilovers and the arms, the alignment caused the car to pull very little to the left and also caused extreme steering response to little input. So when I put on auto pilot it would start swaying side to side getting progressively more violent, lol.

View attachment 27564
That's a fun visual! It's impossible to set the eccentric adjusters evenly when installing the toe arms, good thing you got an aligment after!

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks. Right now the rear is between 19-22 mm, and I like it. The front is probably around 34 mm from the bracket, so I'll probably go up to the 39, or whatever keeps the car close to level.

Rear toe and camber arms were installed, and steering is pretty neutral. I'm looking for a reputable shop to do an alignment, but they all want a week's notice and $200+.

dfw

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
My steering/AP seems fine at the moment, but I need to get an alignment to double-check (was waiting for everything to settle).

Installed everything that MPP offers for suspension lol.

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems like everybody has a different idea of how to set the height. I was gonna a go off this video from MPP is this not current anymore?
I'm unsure and this would be best left for MPP to decide on how initial measurement should be done and set, maybe we can get an official clarification. But keep this in mind as with any coilovers perch heights may vary from car to car. So an initial setting is just to get it close enough then you would level by measurement or corner balance.

MPP recommended perch offset
F 31mm (23mm + 8mm helper spring)
R 15mm

In my experience using the recommended offset of Front 31mm and when measured from the bottom of the thread groove as shown in your pictures, gave me a front height significantly higher then the rear. When I measured from the sway bar bracket it puts the car more level with the rear, but there are not enough threads on the front shocks to do the recommended setting when measuring form the bracket. But with the front set at 34mm from the sway bracket I got the car at a much better starting point.

There rear is pretty straight forward besides the when the spring is lightly loaded with the car jacked up it puts a slight lean on the perch so inside and outside perch height is slightly different. deviation is only 0.5 mm at most and not a big deal.

I remember reading a previous post that KW screwed up on the MPP coilovers and didn't make the threads go all the way to sway bracket like they were supposed to. So that could also be why there is such confusion with measurement.

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember reading a previous post that KW screwed up on the MPP coilovers and didn't make the threads go all the way to sway bracket like they were supposed to. So that could also be why there is such confusion with measurement.
This would help explain why their recommendations don't make sense when we actually follow them. Not that we actually need the threaded portion to go any lower, but I know there are some people who really want to lower their cars beyond practicality.

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This would help explain why their recommendations don't make sense when we actually follow them. Not that we actually need the threaded portion to go any lower, but I know there are some people who really want to lower their cars beyond practicality.
I agree this lowest setting is already pretty low. After about a week of driving I think I want to go about 5mm higher ride height.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree this lowest setting is already pretty low. After about a week of driving I think I want to go about 5mm higher ride height.
Just want to make sure I do this right. Guess I’ll just wait for the rest of the stuff from MPP and see how it goes.

dfw

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Yea, these aren't the correct coilovers for people who want to slam the car.

I'm about 4-5mm above as low as possible, and rubbed a little bit on a 60mph loop after hitting a bump, with 4 people in the car.

I'll stiffen up the rear, but that is not a frequent occurrence for me.