MPP Model 3 Sports Coilovers Dual Motor/Performance/P+

Dfwatt

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just want to thank you guys and post a few pictures and observations about the sports coilover kit. Needless to say, it was a long wait but it was worth it. Finally got it on a couple of days ago, got it adjusted to the ride height that I'm happy with (a little over an inch lower front and rear – any more radical lowering is probably a bad idea in my area and with our driveways and other obstacles).

Pros:

1) extremely high quality kit overall – as high as any I've seen, which of course is not surprising given the KW origin. But still it's nice to open it and see such obviously high-quality pieces.
20190615_111333-jpg.27257

2) enormous range of both height and shock rebound/compression adjustment. The one caveat there however is that the replacement of the helper springs in the front suspension by an aluminum top column (Picture below) may make it harder for people to get more substantial lowering. Initially setting the front suspension for about an inch lower than the top setting (based on MPP's communication that the top setting was about stock ride height) resulted in the car actually being jacked up, relative to stock Ride height. We had to go pretty close to the bottom of the adjustment– maybe about a quarter of an inch from the bottom of the threaded column for the spring perch) to get to about an inch and a quarter of drop.
20190626_181036-jpg.27253
20190626_190017-jpg.27254

With this setting I was able to get to what for me is a perfect ride height – see next picture – but for guys tracking the car who want it almost scraping the pavement (or who love the slammed look!) it might make sense to use the helper springs rather than the top column and live with the possibility of some suspension noise– curious what Sasha and Jesse might say about this at MPP. I suspect there is a slight and perhaps unanticipated/unintended height difference between the newer aluminum column versus the original helper springs – perhaps MPP can revise the column height to rectify this? I have to confess I'm just guessing here and also that it's a bit surprising given that when visually you line the column up with the compressed helper springs it looks like there's really no difference at all or minimal. Maybe I'm missing something? But there's clearly some extra suspension height in this new arrangement.

I heard one initial adjustment "sprong" after install but then dead silence and no suspension noise at all after that presumably small bit of spring settling. There is absolutely no increase in small grainy road noise or road harshness and vibration. If anything it might be slightly better – although one has to be suspicious of the placebo effect here given how much I love this kit!

20190627_092830-jpg.27255

3) Reduced roll and weight shift front to rear as well, but without really any loss of ride comfort at the recommended 12 compression/10 rebound street setting. After a day or so at the 12/10 setting, I'm now running it at 10/8, which feels super firm and I probably wouldn't go any further than this on the street.

4) great support from MPP around any possible problems/issues.

Cons:

1) well, it ain't cheap, but it's a good to great value
2) long wait times, due to KW's (and not MPP's!) recalcitrance.
3) not much else as a con

Adjusting the suspension is a little bit of a chore (you've got a jack the car up basically to get access to both compression and rebound at the rear and take off the 'frunk' cover to get access to rebound at the front) but I wouldn't say that's a knock on either KW or MPP because short of a factory system you're never going to be able to dial up suspension parameters from inside the car. I did have to cut away the rubber hat on top of the front shock column with a razor blade just to get access to the top front rebound adjustment – but this was really easy. I left a flap of rubber that can be easily pulled back to insert the adjustment knob but that provides a little bit of water sealing. One surprise was that even with the lowering of over an inch, I could not get to a full degree negative camber in the front. But I did get to -0.8 in the front and then (with their great Aluminum rear camber arms!) to 1.5 negative in the rear.

20190628_105423-jpg.27256

Overall take-home message – this is a great kit for people who like tweaking their cars even if they don't want to track them. And even though the stock suspension is set up as an almost ideal compromise between ride and handling, for a lot of us it's just a little bit too soft and rides about an inch too high. I strongly suspect that this was simply because Tesla was risk-averse to creating a suspension that would please the hard-core enthusiasts but perhaps lose the less radical buyer. The hard-core always has the coilover option!!

The MPP Sports coilover kit means that you can go pretty much from stock firmness to track hard settings relatively easily. Even set pretty soft (12/10) the car handles like it's on rails, and dialing up more firmness just increases the sense of 'lockdown' tracking. A final very strong benefit of getting this kit is the responsiveness of Sasha and Jesse to any and all concerns and their great integrity in standing behind their great products. We are all fortunate to have MPP in the Tesla enthusiast community!

Last edited:

TwoK4drSi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just want to thank you guys and post a few pictures and observations about the sports coilover kit. Needless to say, it was a long wait but it was worth it. Finally got it on a couple of days ago, got it adjusted to the ride height that I'm happy with (a little over an inch lower front and rear – any more radical lowering is probably a bad idea in my area and with our driveways and other obstacles).

Pros:

1) extremely high quality kit overall – as high as any I've seen, which of course is not surprising given the KW origin. But still it's nice to open it and see such obviously high-quality pieces.
View attachment 27257

2) enormous range of both height and shock rebound/compression adjustment. The one caveat there however is that the replacement of the helper springs in the front suspension by an aluminum top column (Picture below) may make it harder for people to get more substantial lowering. Initially setting the front suspension for about an inch lower than the top setting (based on MPP's communication that the top setting was about stock ride height) resulted in the car actually being jacked up, relative to stock Ride height. We had to go pretty close to the bottom of the adjustment– maybe about a quarter of an inch from the bottom of the threaded column for the spring perch) to get to about an inch and a quarter of drop. View attachment 27253 View attachment 27254

With this setting I was able to get to what for me is a perfect ride height – see next picture – but for guys tracking the car who want it almost scraping the pavement (or who love the slammed look!) it might make sense to use the helper springs rather than the top column and live with the possibility of some suspension noise– curious what Sasha and Jesse might say about this at MPP. I suspect there is a slight and perhaps unanticipated/unintended height difference between the newer aluminum column versus the original helper springs – perhaps MPP can revise the column height to rectify this? I have to confess I'm just guessing here and also that it's a bit surprising given that when visually you line the column up with the compressed helper springs it looks like there's really no difference at all or minimal. Maybe I'm missing something? But there's clearly some extra suspension height in this new arrangement.

I heard one initial adjustment "sprong" after install but then dead silence and no suspension noise at all after that presumably small bit of spring settling. There is absolutely no increase in small grainy road noise or road harshness and vibration. If anything it might be slightly better – although one has to be suspicious of the placebo effect here given how much I love this kit!

View attachment 27255

3) Reduced roll and weight shift front to rear as well, but without really any loss of ride comfort at the recommended 12 compression/10 rebound street setting. After a day or so at the 12/10 setting, I'm now running it at 10/8, which feels super firm and I probably wouldn't go any further than this on the street.

4) great support from MPP around any possible problems/issues.

Cons:

1) well, it ain't cheap, but it's a good to great value
2) long wait times, due to KW's (and not MPP's!) recalcitrance.
3) not much else as a con

Adjusting the suspension is a little bit of a chore (you've got a jack the car up basically to get access to both compression and rebound at the rear and take off the 'frunk' cover to get access to rebound at the front) but I wouldn't say that's a knock on either KW or MPP because short of a factory system you're never going to be able to dial up suspension parameters from inside the car. I did have to cut away the rubber hat on top of the front shock column with a razor blade just to get access to the top front rebound adjustment – but this was really easy. I left a flap of rubber that can be easily pulled back to insert the adjustment knob but that provides a little bit of water sealing. One surprise was that even with the lowering of over an inch, I could not get to a full degree negative camber in the front. But I did get to -0.8 in the front and then (with their great Aluminum rear camber arms!) to 1.5 negative in the rear.

View attachment 27256

Overall take-home message – this is a great kit for people who like tweaking their cars even if they don't want to track them. And even though the stock suspension is set up as an almost ideal compromise between ride and handling, for a lot of us it's just a little bit too soft and rides about an inch too high. I strongly suspect that this was simply because Tesla was risk-averse to creating a suspension that would please the hard-core enthusiasts but perhaps lose the less radical buyer. The hard-core always has the coilover option!!

The MPP Sports coilover kit means that you can go pretty much from stock firmness to track hard settings relatively easily. Even set pretty soft (12/10) the car handles like it's on rails, and dialing up more firmness just increases the sense of 'lockdown' tracking. A final very strong benefit of getting this kit is the responsiveness of Sasha and Jesse to any and all concerns and their great integrity in standing behind their great products. We are all fortunate to have MPP in the Tesla enthusiast community!
GREAT WRITEUP! something to consider for my next upgrade.

dfw

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Got mine installed this weekend. I'm about 1/2" above as low as you can go. I put the settings in the middle as a starting point.

Ride is awesome. Body roll is basically gone (my major complaint of stock). Going over crappy changeovers in pavement on the highway feels like stock.

Will drive over the next week, then check on settling/leveling out.

Great mod, and I'm happy to be 95+% done with the car!

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Dfwatt It looks like you may not have used the OEM spring isolator on your front top hats, which increases your ride height and centers the new spacer.

Last edited:

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

TwoK4drSi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you! It is worth noting that we used our Sports Coilovers with standard springs and damper valving. We just firmed them up and sent it. We had to soften the rear a bit after experiencing the notorious Track Mode entry oversteer but once we installed the prototype Maier spoiler we needed to firm the rear up again to regain some rotation.
One thing I did notice was you using 2 sets of wheels from the pictures in the article. Looks like oem 19s? How did they perform?

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One thing I did notice was you using 2 sets of wheels from the pictures in the article. Looks like oem 19s? How did they perform?
We worked on the car at a shop on Thursday and drove it to the track, so we needed to drive on the stock wheels. I think Sasha did about a 1:44 on the stock wheels and tires, but we just did that to get in a lap time for a grid position. The 18" wheels didn't fit without a lot of grinding of calipers and front spindle.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 18" wheels didn't fit without a lot of grinding of calipers and front spindle.
Would you mind sharing some info & pics on the grinding done to get 18" wheels to fit?

There are a whole bunch of nice 18" wheels that would be nice to use, but don't currently fit. Of course, CYA and tell everybody else to definitely not do this, but I'm curious to learn how you did it.

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would you mind sharing some info & pics on the grinding done to get 18" wheels to fit?

There are a whole bunch of nice 18" wheels that would be nice to use, but don't currently fit. Of course, CYA and tell everybody else to definitely not do this, but I'm curious to learn how you did it.
I didn't really take any photos, but at least a few mm had to be removed from the calipers, and about 5mm removed from the spindle where the wheel was contacting. Keep in mind we were running 18x10.5+30 wheels. You just need to grind calipers if you are running a sane wheel size!

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I seem to be missing a piece in my coilover kit.

I have a pair of thin rubber spring spacers instead. Am I supposed to use that as opposed to the thick aluminum one as pictured from the instructions?
untitled-png.27399

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They ship with the front forks. Do you have those yet?
I have my front forks but never got any spacers in that box...
Mine was part of the 2nd batch. Early May shipment. I wonder if my set was before the they changed the stackup.
Does anyone have instructions for the coilovers with the previous font stack up?

Doubt I'll be able to reach mountain pass over the weekend.
I guess i have to try to figure out how to get that front spring and hat back on the front shocks. Busted my junk HF spring compressor getting it off.

I also only got one front coilover adjustment knob is that normal?

These are the parts I do have.
img_1422-jpg.27400

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have my front forks but never got any spacers in that box...
Mine was part of the 2nd batch. Early May shipment. I wonder if my set was before the they changed the stackup.
Does anyone have instructions for the coilovers with the previous font stack up?

Doubt I'll be able to reach mountain pass over the weekend.
I guess i have to try to figure out how to get that front spring and hat back on the front shocks. Busted my junk HF spring compressor getting it off.

I also only got one front coilover adjustment knob is that normal?

These are the parts I do have.
View attachment 27400
Are these the sports? If so, I'm running mine without the spacer, and have gone over 1k miles and a few spirited laps around Laguna Seca with zero problems.

Borrowed the picture from somewhere else:
img_20190705_221307_599-jpg.27407

Last edited:

James W

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are these the sports? If so, I'm running mine without the spacer, and have gone over 1k miles and a few spirited laps around Laguna Seca with zero problems.

Borrowed the picture from somewhere else:
Yea I couldn't get my stock spring back on so I did the same. Looked back and found that post also

Did yours not come with the spacer either or did you just chose to not put it on?

Gotta head out tomorrow morning and either find a shop to take off the top hat of the other shock or buy another set of spring compressors.

In my younger years I'd just step on the spring and undo the top hat with an impact and send the shock flying, haha. Too old and scared for that now.

2019-07-05-jpeg.27412

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yea I couldn't get my stock spring back on so I did the same. Looked back and found that post also

Did yours not come with the spacer either or did you just chose to not put it on?

Gotta head out tomorrow morning and either find a shop to take off the top hat of the other shock or buy another set of spring compressors.

In my younger years I'd just step on the spring and undo the top hat with an impact and send the shock flying, haha. Too old and scared for that now.
I opted to not have it installed. Good luck finishing it all up!