MPP Lightweight Lithium Battery Kit- Now In Stock!

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Available soon! Pre-Order to save 10%!

Shave 24 pounds off the front of your Model 3 with our tested Lithium 12V battery replacement.

• EarthX ETX900 Lithium Ion Battery designed and manufactured in the USA – originally intended for aircraft!
  • Over 6 months of testing, including deep sleep and OTA updates with our battery.
  • Built-in BMS to protect the battery should it be over discharged or overcharged.
  • CNC Aluminum 6061 ultra lightweight bracket using USA sourced aluminum.
  • Designed for easy 30-minute installation
Fits these vehicles: Model 3 LR, Model 3 MR, Model 3 AWD, Model 3 PUP

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product/mpp-tm3-lithium12v/

Did you know that the factory 12V battery in your Telsa Model 3 is a heavy, inferior AGM battery? Somewhat silly that a car with up to 75kWh worth of lithium batteries has a heavy, old technology like AGM as the low voltage battery! But this is understandable since the added cost just didn’t make sense for Tesla with the Model 3. Our lightweight lithium battery shaves 24 pounds from the front of the chassis. At MPP we’re hyper-focused on weight reduction, so to be able to get 24 lbs out in quick 30 minute bolt in part is massive.

We’ve been quietly testing our lithium 12V battery for the last six months, installing it almost directly after receiving our car. We knew that we needed to perform heaps of real-world testing before offering our battery kit – as we needed to ensure the vehicle’s normal behavior continued – such as regularly falling into deep-sleep, performing OTA software updates normally, waking up quickly for mobile access, and having no issue in the extreme cold.

Of course, we also performed a significant amount of safety and suitability testing with our battery kit – ensuring the Model 3’s DCDC always charged at an acceptable current and voltage for this battery’s chemistry. We’re happy to report that this battery is a perfect match for the Model 3’s DCDC charge logic. We are happy to discuss details with those of you that are concerned about this.

One thing that was extremely important to us when selecting a battery was to use one that has a built-in BMS (battery management system) that is capable of disconnecting the battery from the vehicle in the event of a fault. We selected the EarthX ETX900 because has both under and over-voltage protection, as well as cell management. This means in the event that the battery is drained below a safe voltage, the BMS will disconnect the battery from the vehicle so that the voltage does not continue to fall to a level that would otherwise damage the battery. The built-in BMS also balances the voltages of the individual cells connected in series, so that the battery never has a single cell that goes above a dangerously high voltage – something that most other aftermarket lithium-ion batteries do NOT have, making them potentially dangerous for long term operation.

The EarthX ETX900 is designed and manufactured in the USA, and is normally used to power small aircraft! So you can take comfort in knowing that if it is safe enough for flight, it’s safe and reliable enough for your Model 3. The battery can deliver a massive 840 cranking amps (not that our Tesla’s will need that!)

Of course, we wanted to make an extremely light, easy to install and elegant battery bracket to go along with the battery. That was no easy task considering the smaller size of our battery and the strange stamped bracket on the Model 3. There was no way we were going to make a bracket that weighed almost as much as the battery, so a lot of design went into a CNC machined, 6061 aluminum bracket that bolts into the OEM battery carrier with no drilling or cutting required. We also decided to use a strap rather than an aluminum bracket to further reduce weight, and we include all stainless steel hardware so that rust and corrosion will never be an issue!

**NOTE** Prototype photos are shown. The production battery bracket and aluminum bushings will be anodized our signature MPP blue, and the strap will be slightly different in design and size. Updated photos to come!
Battery comes with custom terminals from EarthX for the Model 3 (not pictured)

Last edited:

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is pretty absurdly cool. I am interested but super-broke at the moment :) Good to know that it's Toronto tested as my first concern was definitely going to be 'how does it handle prolonged -30C?'

Will definitely be on my wish list after ppf!

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is pretty absurdly cool. I am interested but super-broke at the moment :) Good to know that it's Toronto tested as my first concern was definitely going to be 'how does it handle prolonged -30C?'

Will definitely be on my wish list after ppf!
PPF is key with this Tesla paint!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone thought about this battery upgrade? Just curious what people's opinions are. Is it a must have? I know it isn't in production yet, but wanted to know what people thought about it.
TIA

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is the price in CDN dollars on the website? I know you are located in Toronto but I figured I would confirm the currency on the webpage :)
USD, but we do cover customs/duties for Canadians.
You guys have to stop making things that I didn't know I even wanted...

(Don't actually take that advice. Just keep taking my money... lol)
That's our favourite part of the job. Sasha and I were saying yesterday that we thought it would be 95% design/development/testing and 5% getting it made. It is actually the other way around, much to our displeasure.
Has anyone thought about this battery upgrade? Just curious what people's opinions are. Is it a must have? I know it isn't in production yet, but wanted to know what people thought about it.
TIA
We have a goal of removing 100lbs from the car without compromising comfort (racing seats, removing interior). This makes up nearly 25% of that goal!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

That's our favourite part of the job. Sasha and I were saying yesterday that we thought it would be 95% design/development/testing and 5% getting it made. It is actually the other way around, much to our displeasure.

We have a goal of removing 100lbs from the car without compromising comfort (racing seats, removing interior). This makes up nearly 25% of that goal!
I was supposed to have a phone call with you guys today about this battery, never got the call. Maybe we can make it happen tomorrow? Really want to chat in depth about it.

Cookiebob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Very cool. Looking forward to getting this! What are your other ideas besides wheels and tires? The 18” forged wheels I just spec’d out make the car 34.6lbs lighter, bringing the weight down 58.6lbs versus stock when factoring in your battery. Thanks!

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very cool. Looking forward to getting this! What are your other ideas besides wheels and tires? The 18” forged wheels I just spec’d out make the car 34.6lbs lighter, bringing the weight down 58.6lbs versus stock when factoring in your battery. Thanks!
Our rotors and suspension arms also chip away at that weight goal! Depending on what car you have:

- MPP 365mm BBK -4lbs per corner
- MPP rear rotors -3.7bs per corner
- MPP Toe Arms -0.3lb per side
- MPP Camber Arms -0.6lb per side

This reminds us we were working on a thread on this topic. I'll leave this here and save the rest for the post. Hope this was helpful @Cookiebob

SD_ENGNR

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Our rotors and suspension arms also chip away at that weight goal! Depending on what car you have:

- MPP 365mm BBK -4lbs per corner
- MPP rear rotors -3.7bs per corner
- MPP Toe Arms -0.3lb per side
- MPP Camber Arms -0.6lb per side

This reminds us we were working on a thread on this topic. I'll leave this here and save the rest for the post. Hope this was helpful @Cookiebob
How does the bracket, and battery strap hold up around the track? Is the bracket pretty well supported by the original battery tray? Will the strap stretch and then need replacing?
TIA!

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How does the bracket, and battery strap hold up around the track? Is the bracket pretty well supported by the original battery tray? Will the strap stretch and then need replacing?
TIA!
We went back to the drawing board with the strap, we weren't happy with it. We are very, very happy with the newer design, check out the link again! I will update the photo here.

It won't need replacing, but if in some way you were able to break it or stretch it, we have spares here we would send out right away. Parts we design and build always have a lifetime warranty.

The bracket is very well supported by the battery tray, Sasha put a lot of effort into indexing the bracket into the stock tray stamping to ensure it can't possibly move or even be installed incorrectly.

Cookiebob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
UPS shows something scheduled for delivery next week from EarthX... 6lbs... wonder what it could be ;). Super excited.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the automotive engineers out there: I’m not sure where my 12v battery resides inside my RWD Model 3, but wherever it is, I’m guessing that losing a 24lb moment arm from the center of the car could affect handling? Or is it so minuscule as to be not noticed and not a factor?

For @gwdecker726, no, this isn’t a necessary upgrade at least not for me. However, when my existing 12v gets weak enough to possibly become unreliable, this battery sounds like a terrific replacement. Now, that said, I have a 2012 LEAF purchased new that now 7 years later still has its original 12v with no evidence of deterioration sufficient to replace it. In fairness, I have replaced 12v’s in my 1964 Ford Thunderbird though probably because it needs roughly a million cold cranking amps to get the huge V-8 turning.

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the automotive engineers out there: I’m not sure where my 12v battery resides inside my RWD Model 3, but wherever it is, I’m guessing that losing a 24lb moment arm from the center of the car could affect handling? Or is it so minuscule as to be not noticed and not a factor?

For @gwdecker726, no, this isn’t a necessary upgrade at least not for me. However, when my existing 12v gets weak enough to possibly become unreliable, this battery sounds like a terrific replacement. Now, that said, I have a 2012 LEAF purchased new that now 7 years later still has its original 12v with no evidence of deterioration sufficient to replace it. In fairness, I have replaced 12v’s in my 1964 Ford Thunderbird though probably because it needs roughly a million cold cranking amps to get the huge V-8 turning.

Interesting.....I wonder if this is a good side effect of having an electric or EREV.....the battery in my 2012 Volt is also original and have not had any problems with it either....I'm guessing it's all of that engine compartment heat that kills the batteries over time......(battery for Volt is in the back of the car and out of the generator compartment).....