MPP 1.75″ Suspension Lift Kit

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you everyone for your support, they are all gone now! We should have made a lot more, we will get going on another run but it will be at least 2 months. Thank you again!

DuncIT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since they were one-off kits before, we didn't make a proper instructions/video. When this new batch arrives we will make all the MPP level instructions. In short, they bolt on top of the front top hats, and spacers are installed on the rear dampers and springs. It takes Jesse about 1.25 hours to install on the floor with hand tools.
Any update on those instructions?

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any update on those instructions?
I too hope that a video (or instructions) is in progress. ***

Meanwhile I've just uploaded an unboxing video:

I'd be especially interested to have a source of torque values as what we get from Tesla Parts Catalog has part numbers for the exploded diagrams and no other information.

From the Front Coil Spring And Damper diagram what shows three attachment bolts I'd wager a guess that is related to the three-holed bracket from the kit (Metric 1.25 threaded holes on one side) and six bolts with six flange nuts in the bag of hardware. For the Rear Coil Spring And Damper diagram there's two attachment points which might relate to the 30mm cylindrical spacers and longer 70mm bolts (30mm shanks) in the bag of hardware. I can't quite figure out what those funnel looking pieces in the kit are supposed to mate with, and in what order the rubbery gaskets might attach to. I hope it is more obvious when I look at the actual car what will be the order of things.

*** Update: MPP have posted installation instructions on their blog https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/mpp-1-75-lift-kit-installation-instructions/

(thanks to maks for pointing this out)

Last edited:

maks

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The instructions are up on the mpp website blog. I had mine installed at my local garage today and they sent it to another shop for the alignment. Raised it up 1.7inches as advertised. My ride feels stiffer now though, let me know it feels for you guys.

Very happy to report that I can now get into my steep driveway and can finally park in my garage. The car really looks like a mini Model Y now lol. I was interested in the Y so this isn't so bad.

Anyone happen to know if there is a way to add a wheel well guard? Perhaps that can reduce the wheel well gap and make it look even more Model Y-like haha.

Screenshot_20190501-223139_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190501-223337_Gallery.jpg 20190501_175841.jpg 20190501_084501.jpg

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So yeah the lift kit is installed, still needs an alignment. I documented with notes and plenty of photographs of the process as I did the work myself, to be continued...

Alignment update 2019-06-12:
Tesla Service Center said "No way" to an alignment when the suspension is modified, and similar remarks plus some added uncertainty and bias against Tesla vehicles from all the corporate owned chain/franchise shops in the Reno NV USA area. Finally got the alignment done at Palomino's Rims And Tires on 1505 Glendale Ave in Sparks NV USA on their Hunter DSP400 rack, and helpfully as this was only their second Tesla worked on they asked for me to watch the process and answer any Tesla-specific questions:

1) How to keep the car in Neutral with no driver? The instructions from the Hunter DSP400 listed for a Model 3 asked to buckle the seatbelt, engage Neutral, and using a thin implement activate the door catch leaving it slightly open; almost certain we followed this process exactly but the Parking brake would engage on egress from the driver's seat... so we improvised with a heavy weight and a floor mat on the driver seat with the seatbelt buckled to trick the occupancy logic.
2) Rear alignment requires dropping the aero shield. The technician had worked on a Model S before and was the most familiar with this, so no explanation needed.
3) How to (physically) access the steering control (steering wheel) for the alignment process? The technician was asking how to turn "on" the car. I explained the car is on and I was not sure what they were trying to do. Later I realized they were asking how to get access to move the steering wheel for the alignment rack computer to enter a zero position. We did not plug into any OBD-II (that question came up but I don't know how) nor reprogram on the car.

The toe-in/out was out of alignment all around and so adjusted into alignment with hand tools. The camber was measured but not adjusted as it would require shims. Some research may be required to verify if there are special shims needed. At the technician's advice we're going to start with correcting toe-in/out to spec and keep an eye on if camber to see will need to be adjusted in the front. Rear camber looked to not need adjustment.

Regrettably I did not know in advance of installing the lift kit that so many shops would refuse to work on the vehicle so I don't have a measurement of alignment from before the lift kit was installed.

In what way (toe and camber, front and rear) should the Lift Kit install affect alignment?

Attachments

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just ordered mine today and it can't come soon enough, especially with the bike rack on the tow hitch in the back. Will start looking for shops that will do an alignment here though.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now if you could make an air suspension do that, as needed, then you’d have something. You can have the best snows and drivetrain but if you’re too low it does not do you much good in a lot of situations. In those cases I have to take my Jeep, only because of clearance (which I can raise an additional 4” as needed, and do).

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I installed the lift kit in November, and have driven it 7,500 miles. Last week a connector in my steering column stopped connecting, resulting in neither Drive nor Reverse being selectable. Thus, a tow truck ride to the service center for a day at the spa.
The guy doing my paperwork had to drive my car around from the shop. His first words were "Did you lift that car?
No one ever say that by just looking. He just felt it was higher.
Anyway, this was on my paperwork

Concern: Courtesy Inspection
Tread depth Front Driver Outer: 7 Front Driver Middle: 7 Front Driver Inner: 7 Front Passenger Outer: 7 Front Passenger
Middle: 7 Front Passenger Inner: 7 Back Driver Outer: 6 Back Driver Middle: 6 Back Driver Inner: 6 Back Passenger
Outer: 6 Back Passenger Middle: 6 Back Passenger Inner: 6Tire pressure Front Driver: 45 Front Passenger: 45 Back
Driver: 45 Back Passenger: 45New firmware staged YesWasher fluid top off Performed: YesTire rotation recommended No
Correction: Courtesy Inspection

The funny thing is that it is time to do a tire rotation, so the lift kit has not degraded the tires.
And every time I use the car, I'm glad I got the MPP Lift Kit.

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We finally have more coming back in stock this week! We made twice as many as last time, hopefully, we can keep these on the shelves until the next batch is ready.

lurch

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How did it go? how do you like it? how does it ride? did you have to get an alignment afterwards do you have any before or after pictures or video. I am looking for references to see how it fared, i cant find any

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait a minute. I bought last fall and I got 1.5 inches.
What's this 2 inches title?
Was mine just a prototype?
;-)

sandange

Country
Country
I had lift kit installed as soon as I got my M3 so don't have any before driving to compare it to,
6,000 (10,000 km ) later I'm very satisfied with the results....
the ride, handling, & the easier entry/exit.
I have 18" stock sized wheels & tires &
even prefer the look of the extra space in the wheel well.

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait a minute. I bought last fall and I got 1.5 inches.
What's this 2 inches title?
Was mine just a prototype?
;-)
I guess that 2in was the prototype announcement. Production quality product is 1.75in spacing.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess that 2in was the prototype announcement. Production quality product is 1.75in spacing.
I was the goofball that asked MPP to figure things out, since they were doing kits to lower the model 3.
Mine raised the wheel wells 1.5 inches.
I originally asked for 3 to 5 inches.
I'm sure lessons were learned. I like what I have.