Moving car to separate account = transfer of ownership?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I currently have my car (M3) and my wife's car (MX) under the same account. Due to personal reasons, we are trying to move her car to her own, separate account. We were just told by a representative at Tesla that moving the car to her account would be considered a transfer of ownership and that she would lose her unlimited supercharging in the process.

I am not disputing here Tesla's decision to link unlimited supercharging to car *and* owner, but their decision to label this request a "transfer of ownership." Her name has always been in the title which, if I am correct, is the only valid proof of ownership for a vehicle.

Any opinions?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Change the email address and name on the existing account so they're both hers - this can be done at Tesla.com. Then let her keep the existing account so she can keep the unlimited supercharging, and transfer your Model 3 to a new account.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks so much for the quick reply and really ingenious solution. This workaround could work! I will report with any news.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately, I just realized this won't be so easy as we should also transfer the Powerwall... *sigh*

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I currently have my car (M3) and my wife's car (MX) under the same account. Due to personal reasons, we are trying to move her car to her own, separate account. We were just told by a representative at Tesla that moving the car to her account would be considered a transfer of ownership and that she would lose her unlimited supercharging in the process.

I am not disputing here Tesla's decision to link unlimited supercharging to car *and* owner, but their decision to label this request a "transfer of ownership." Her name has always been in the title which, if I am correct, is the only valid proof of ownership for a vehicle.

Any opinions?
I like @Jason F ’s idea, but I don’t know that changing the email address is going to change the name, and I don’t know if that’s part of what is important to you.

I agree, that it is the title that determines ownership, and I don’t think there is any legal way they could take away the supercharging when the owner hasn’t changed. But I also know that Tesla’s system isn’t really set up well to have joint owners nor to have multiple cars. We have run into a number of issues of confusion.

I do know you can give car access to a different Tesla account....which we ended up doing so we could easily switch between the cars and our solar (which was on a separate account). It works for access to the cars from the app. Annoyingly can only make service appointments from the email/account that “owns” the car, though. Doesn’t matter that the name on the other access account is one of the joint owners.

Will be very interested to hear how this resolves.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the reply. The only acceptable resolution would be that the car is removed from my account and added to her own account. Since one can track all cars in the same account, keeping her car under my account could be problematic.

I have been in talks with a supervisor. She agrees with me: this should not be considered a transfer of ownership. Let's see if they can figure out a solution. Worst case scenario, I will ask them to follow Jason's approach, keeping the MX and moving the M3 and PW instead.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Tesla service people might not be able to move the Model X without losing the supercharging, so it might be a technical limitation they can’t solve rather than a policy one. If you tell them the same as my post above, they might be able to make moving the Model 3 and Powerwall work more easily, and make it look like it was intended to.

They do have a lot of things that were implemented as technical limitations designed to keep service people from altering them. That’s also why if you have an issue with Autopilot or FSD, not being recognized, service is unable to fix it without calling the mothership. They also can’t mess with supercharging credits or referrals. They basically can’t mess with anything money related.

Someone above asked about the name change vs email change - both are on your account settings on the web site. The name is in the Contact Info.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's my feeling based on those (very frustrating) phone conversations: it's a limitation of their software, but they end up explaining it to us as if it was policy. They are not available today (no more phone support during weekends), but I am hoping to make progress tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Solved! In the end, it turns out, they were able to do it. It seems like the car did lose the free unlimited supercharging feature in the transfer but they activated it again manually. I wish it had been done without so much drama, but it's done. Thanks all!