Motor whirring sound

dannyskim

I've had my Model 3 for about 1 1/2 month's worth of drivable time (was in the shop for 5 weeks for panel repainting from delivery issues). This is my first Tesla and first EV so I don't know if I'm being picky or if I should have cause for concern with a noise that's emitting from my RWD motor.

I also don't know if it's me acclimating to the general cabin silence as well, but I'm hearing a mechanical whirring noise at lower speeds, and as the speed of the vehicle increases, I'm sure it's the wind resistance that's overtaking the whirring in volume as I can't hear it past 35-40mph. Up until now I could've sworn that the motor was virtually silent other than the high pitched inverter noise which you can generally hear when regen is active.

So, my question is, other than the high pitched inverter noise, is it normal to hear an additional and separate noise as the one that I've so plainly described? Could it be the temperature drop here and maybe the motor just breaking in? Austin was recently going from high 90's weather to a sharp drop into the 50s - 60s.

I know a lot about ICE vehicles and diagnosing ICE vehicles, but to err on the side of caution I'm not going to rely on my own instincts on this one. If it's an abnormal noise, I would like to get it at least checked out by the service center so I don't have any prolonged damage.

Thanks.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my Model 3 for about 1 1/2 month's worth of drivable time (was in the shop for 5 weeks for panel repainting from delivery issues). This is my first Tesla and first EV so I don't know if I'm being picky or if I should have cause for concern with a noise that's emitting from my RWD motor.
Is there any chance you can record the noise with your phone and share it here? That would make it easier for other RWD owners here to compare your noise with theirs and comment on whether it's abnormal.

dannyskim

I've tried with my phone but wasn't able to pick it up, will try getting on smoother pavement to see if that helps.

After getting back from another drive, I would say it sounds more like a gear whine sound, and sounds faintly similar to what is called "tranny whine" in ICE vehicles.

PaulK

Country
Country
I’ve thought the same recently, but wonder if I’m not just getting used to what to listen for. Certainly I will be aware if the motor noise continues to become more prominent. It would be useful to possibly test drive a brand new one to compare, but that’s unlikely for a while.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The front motor in my P makes a nice low-volume "growl" at lower speeds as it's accelerating. I like it. :)

I think it's fairly normal, but does vary in volume from one car to another.

dannyskim

Is there any chance you can record the noise with your phone and share it here? That would make it easier for other RWD owners here to compare your noise with theirs and comment on whether it's abnormal.
Took another phone recording on smoother pavement and ran a low-pass filter on it to try and remove most of the white noise.

The sound is most evident in the last 6 seconds of the clip, should be fairly obvious what sound it is.

It may be a completely normal sound and I just wasn't paying close enough attention before, I don't know.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/publicbkt/dk.mp3

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took another phone recording on smoother pavement and ran a low-pass filter on it to try and remove most of the white noise.

The sound is most evident in the last 6 seconds of the clip, should be fairly obvious what sound it is.

It may be a completely normal sound and I just wasn't paying close enough attention before, I don't know.

Sounds like my car. I think the sound is the same when I'm getting a little bit of regen or a little bit of acceleration. It worried me a bit too, so I'm glad others have noticed.

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Also here, P3D w/o PUO, same sounds I hear :cool:

ssit

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my P3D has whining during acceleration and regen (can only hear with radio off). the sound is actually nice during acceleration but during regen it breaks up a bit (not a continuation tone of up and down) so it is a bit disturbing. Nevertheless, seems I am not unique.

dannyskim

Has gotten even louder as temperatures approach freezing. Not disconcerting loud, but now it's readily audible past 50 mph over wind noise.

Will have to just keep monitoring it. Probably going to call a Ranger or the service center to ask what is normal or not.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Will have to just keep monitoring it. Probably going to call a Ranger or the service center to ask what is normal or not.
Certainly wouldn't hurt to have them look at it to confirm whether or not it's normal.

Mine doesn't seem any louder now that temps are around freezing.

dannyskim

Certainly wouldn't hurt to have them look at it to confirm whether or not it's normal.

Mine doesn't seem any louder now that temps are around freezing.
Called Service Center twice, told I would be called back about booking an appointment. Never got a call back. In fact, every time Tesla tells me that they're going to call me back, they never have. This is like the sixth or seventh time I was told I would be getting a call back over various occasions.

Tried emailing local mobile service twice now, no response either. Will have to just keep trying until I can book an appointment.......