Motor Trend: Gas vs. Electric Which Is the better Hyundai Kona?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In their article dated Jan. 22, 2020, they compare a Hyundai Kona EV to a Hyundai Kona 1.6T. What is stunning is that in a round trip drive from their offices in LA to San Robles, the EV costs more for L3 charging than gasoline! It seems Electrify America charges so much more than Tesla Superchargers that the per mile cost advantage of EVs is more than offset!! What a rude awakening awaits those buying a non-Tesla EV when they take it on a road trip.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyu...ndai-kona-electric-vs-2020-hyundai-kona-1-6t/

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Part of the issue is also poor planning on their part. But people who are used to combustion vehicles won't be planning either, so it's a valid comparison.
Our over-reliance on Electrify America stations, which charge a $1 session fee plus a per-minute fee based on the charge rate your vehicle is capable of accepting (which, in our case, works out to $0.69 per minute for up to 125 kW) to fully charge the Kona's battery is largely to blame for the massive cost—especially because EV charging rates slow significantly once a battery exceeds 80 percent capacity.
Our two times charging to 100 percent were blow-out expensive, Reynolds said, calling the decision "stupid" in retrospect. Per-minute charging by Electrify America and EVgo puts a preposterous penalty on charging to 90 or 100 percent, particularly Electrify America, which has higher dollar-per-minute rates.
I believe California is planning to pass a low to make time-based rates for EV charging illegal, so Electrify America will have to stop these practices. This gives you a good idea why. It's ridiculous that it was over twice as expensive to charge the EV than to buy gasoline for this trip. Electricity is about a fifth the price of gasoline.

Teslas remain the only EVs that are practical to road-trip.

Ct200h

Country
Country
The Kona will rarely charge much above 70kw , so paying for a not possible 125kw is pointless.
On the trip they admitted staying at the fast charger all the way to 100% 🙄 this ran up the tab unnecessarily
Many times using a 50kw charger works well for Kona depending on SOC and may be cheaper.
EVGo also has some 80kw sae units locally that are a good match and less per kWh.

Last edited:

DanSz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Do I dare to click on the article link? I feel it is going to be full of a bunch of EV ignorance.

I know people complain about the DCFC costs of all non-Tesla networks, but rarely does anyone compare the at-home charging costs to gasoline on a per mile basis. That’s where the savings is.

When 90%+ of all your driving is local, the net average cost of driving is still better for the EV than the gasmobile.

Until the broader Ev charging networks become more ubiquitous, it’s just the additonal price of DCFC that one has to bear in a non-tesla.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do I dare to click on the article link? I feel it is going to be full of a bunch of EV ignorance.
It's not bad. They own up to their ignorance within the article, and explain what they should have done differently. The main issue they had was due to the DC charging network that they ended up using, so it's mostly ignorance of that particular network rather than generic EV ignorance.

Kim Reynolds in particular has praised the Model 3 since the first reveal, so I trust EV reviews in which he is taking part.

DanSz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Ok, I read it.
Taken as a whole, it was ok. They rank the EV pretty well.